    but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to be 0px.. no matter
    what i do there is always what looks like a 10px gap...
    this also applies to the left margin in opera.
    the idiot, Jul 6, 2005

  2. the idiot

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, the idiot scraped:
    > im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up ho hum...
    > but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to be 0px

    Try setting the body element's "margin" *and* "padding" in your CSS.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Jul 6, 2005

  3. the idiot

    Els Guest

    the idiot wrote:

    > im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up ho hum...
    > but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to be 0px.. no matter
    > what i do there is always what looks like a 10px gap...
    > this also applies to the left margin in opera.

    Add *{margin:0;padding:0;} to the top of your stylesheet, and see if
    the gap goes away. If it does, all you have to do is check element by
    element where the margin or padding needs to be set to 0.

    A much quicker method could be posting the URL here, so we can
    actually see what you mean ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jul 6, 2005
  4. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > the idiot wrote:
    >
    > > im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up ho

    hum...
    > > but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to be 0px.. no

    matter
    > > what i do there is always what looks like a 10px gap...
    > > this also applies to the left margin in opera.

    > Add *{margin:0;padding:0;} to the top of your stylesheet, and see if
    > the gap goes away. If it does, all you have to do is check element by
    > element where the margin or padding needs to be set to 0.
    >
    > A much quicker method could be posting the URL here, so we can
    > actually see what you mean ;-)
    >
    > --

    eek sorry too many things on brain.. and i am a man so can only do one thing
    at once.
    http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/index.html
    excuse the mess
    the idiot, Jul 6, 2005
  5. the idiot

    Els Guest

    the idiot wrote:

    > "Els" <> wrote in message
    >> the idiot wrote:
    >>
    >>> im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up
    >>> ho hum... but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to
    >>> be 0px.. no matter what i do there is always what looks like a
    >>> 10px gap... this also applies to the left margin in opera.

    >> Add *{margin:0;padding:0;} to the top of your stylesheet, and see
    >> if the gap goes away. If it does, all you have to do is check
    >> element by element where the margin or padding needs to be set to
    >> 0.
    >>
    >> A much quicker method could be posting the URL here, so we can
    >> actually see what you mean ;-)

    > eek sorry too many things on brain.. and i am a man so can only do
    > one thing at once.

    <g>

    > http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/index.html
    > excuse the mess

    At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
    h1. What happens if you set it to 0?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jul 6, 2005
  6. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > the idiot wrote:
    >
    > > "Els" <> wrote in message

    > >> Add *{margin:0;padding:0;} to the top of your stylesheet, and see
    > >> if the gap goes away. If it does, all you have to do is check
    > >> element by element where the margin or padding needs to be set to
    > >> 0.
    > >>
    > >> A much quicker method could be posting the URL here, so we can
    > >> actually see what you mean ;-)

    > > eek sorry too many things on brain.. and i am a man so can only do
    > > one thing at once.

    > <g>
    >
    > > http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/index.html
    > > excuse the mess

    > At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
    > h1. What happens if you set it to 0?

    i'll have a look and get back to you, though you will notice that my
    horizontal menu also suffers from the same prob in opera..
    the idiot, Jul 6, 2005
  7. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > the idiot wrote:
    >
    > > "Els" <> wrote in message

    > >> Add *{margin:0;padding:0;} to the top of your stylesheet, and see
    > >> if the gap goes away. If it does, all you have to do is check
    > >> element by element where the margin or padding needs to be set to
    > >> 0.
    > >>
    > >> A much quicker method could be posting the URL here, so we can
    > >> actually see what you mean ;-)

    > > eek sorry too many things on brain.. and i am a man so can only do
    > > one thing at once.

    > <g>
    >
    > > http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/index.html
    > > excuse the mess

    > At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
    > h1. What happens if you set it to 0?

    aha fixes the prob in firefox but opera is still a mess...
    how do you lot ever get any work done when you seem to spend all your time
    on here helping the likes of me?
    the idiot, Jul 6, 2005
  8. the idiot

    Els Guest

    the idiot wrote:

    > "Els" <> wrote in message
    >> the idiot wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Els" <> wrote in message

    >>> eek sorry too many things on brain.. and i am a man so can only do
    >>> one thing at once.

    >> <g>
    >>
    >>> http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/index.html
    >>> excuse the mess

    >> At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
    >> h1. What happens if you set it to 0?
    >>

    > aha fixes the prob in firefox but opera is still a mess...

    Well, I don't know how to edit styles locally in Opera, so I'm afraid
    you'll have to do that yourself (I don't have the time to copy the
    entire lot of html, css and images over to my own server). But the
    first step should be setting *{margin:0;padding:0;}. Temporarily of
    course. Do the gaps disappear when you do that?

    > how do you lot ever get any work done when you seem to spend all your time
    > on here helping the likes of me?

    I'm on my break <g>

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jul 6, 2005
  9. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > the idiot wrote:
    >
    > > "Els" <> wrote in message

    > >> <g>

    > >> At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
    > >> h1. What happens if you set it to 0?
    > >>

    > > aha fixes the prob in firefox but opera is still a mess...

    > Well, I don't know how to edit styles locally in Opera, so I'm afraid
    > you'll have to do that yourself (I don't have the time to copy the
    > entire lot of html, css and images over to my own server). But the
    > first step should be setting *{margin:0;padding:0;}. Temporarily of
    > course. Do the gaps disappear when you do that?
    >
    > > how do you lot ever get any work done when you seem to spend all your

    time
    > > on here helping the likes of me?

    > I'm on my break <g>

    i'll do some more poking and experimenting to see what happens.. thanks alot
    though.
    the idiot, Jul 6, 2005
  10. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > the idiot wrote:
    >
    > > "Els" <> wrote in message

    > >> <g>

    > >> At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
    > >> h1. What happens if you set it to 0?
    > >>

    > > aha fixes the prob in firefox but opera is still a mess...

    > Well, I don't know how to edit styles locally in Opera, so I'm afraid
    > you'll have to do that yourself (I don't have the time to copy the
    > entire lot of html, css and images over to my own server). But the
    > first step should be setting *{margin:0;padding:0;}. Temporarily of
    > course. Do the gaps disappear when you do that?
    >
    > > how do you lot ever get any work done when you seem to spend all your

    time
    > > on here helping the likes of me?

    > I'm on my break <g>

    i stuck the header back into the wrapper and then gave the norizontal menu a
    top-margin: -20px till it worked in opera.. so all is well. apart from
    everything else. thanks agin.
    the idiot, Jul 6, 2005
  11. the idiot

    Els Guest

    the idiot wrote:

    > i stuck the header back into the wrapper and then gave the norizontal menu a
    > top-margin: -20px till it worked in opera.. so all is well. apart from
    > everything else.

    I can see it's different in Opera than before, (no white gaps), but
    it's not exactly what you want - or at least not in my Opera (8). I
    suppose Firefox shows it how you intended?

    I found the reason for the top gap in Opera:
    You started the stylesheets with a charset line. I don't know about
    validity of that, but
    a) it causes the first next style to be omitted by Opera (hence, the
    padding:0; didn't kick in)
    b) I never used a charset line like that, and never had problems with
    browsers not understanding my characters.

    The space between the #navcontainer and the #header is caused by the
    margin-bottom of the h1. Change margin-top:0; into margin:0; and
    you're done :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jul 6, 2005
  12. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message

    > > i stuck the header back into the wrapper and then gave the norizontal

    menu a
    > > top-margin: -20px till it worked in opera.. so all is well. apart from
    > > everything else.

    > I can see it's different in Opera than before, (no white gaps), but
    > it's not exactly what you want - or at least not in my Opera (8). I
    > suppose Firefox shows it how you intended?
    >
    > I found the reason for the top gap in Opera:
    > You started the stylesheets with a charset line. I don't know about
    > validity of that, but
    > a) it causes the first next style to be omitted by Opera (hence, the
    > padding:0; didn't kick in)
    > b) I never used a charset line like that, and never had problems with
    > browsers not understanding my characters.
    >
    > The space between the #navcontainer and the #header is caused by the
    > margin-bottom of the h1. Change margin-top:0; into margin:0; and
    > you're done :)

    i am on my knees. thankyou.
    the idiot, Jul 6, 2005
  13. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message

    > > i stuck the header back into the wrapper and then gave the norizontal

    menu a
    > > top-margin: -20px till it worked in opera.. so all is well. apart from
    > > everything else.

    > I can see it's different in Opera than before, (no white gaps), but
    > it's not exactly what you want - or at least not in my Opera (8). I
    > suppose Firefox shows it how you intended?
    >
    > I found the reason for the top gap in Opera:
    > You started the stylesheets with a charset line. I don't know about
    > validity of that, but
    > a) it causes the first next style to be omitted by Opera (hence, the
    > padding:0; didn't kick in)
    > b) I never used a charset line like that, and never had problems with
    > browsers not understanding my characters.
    >
    > The space between the #navcontainer and the #header is caused by the
    > margin-bottom of the h1. Change margin-top:0; into margin:0; and
    > you're done :)

    i use ace html for writing me stuff and that automatically stciks the
    charset thing in when i make a new stylesheet so i just thought it was
    supposed to be there... thanks again.
    the idiot, Jul 6, 2005
  14. the idiot

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "the idiot" <>
    writing in news::

    > i use ace html for writing me stuff and that automatically stciks the
    > charset thing in when i make a new stylesheet so i just thought it was
    > supposed to be there... thanks again.

    I was like you once... you will like Top Style better, and it might
    integrate with Ace (don't know for sure). Top Style:
    <http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/>, there's also a lite version available
    in the download section.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, Jul 7, 2005
  15. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "the idiot"

    <>
    > writing in news::
    >
    > > i use ace html for writing me stuff and that automatically stciks the
    > > charset thing in when i make a new stylesheet so i just thought it was
    > > supposed to be there... thanks again.
    > >

    > I was like you once... you will like Top Style better, and it might
    > integrate with Ace (don't know for sure). Top Style:
    > <http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/>, there's also a lite version available
    > in the download section.

    funnily enough i do use topstyle as well but mainly for validating
    stuff.... i find it too annoying to actually write in.. unless thats just
    me having the settings wrong..
    thanks for thinking of me though.
    the idiot, Jul 7, 2005
  16. the idiot

    > "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "the idiot"
    >> <> writing in
    >>
    >> > i use ace html for writing me stuff and that automatically stciks
    >> > the charset thing in when i make a new stylesheet so i just thought
    >> > it was supposed to be there... thanks again.
    >> >

    >> I was like you once... you will like Top Style better, and it might
    >> integrate with Ace (don't know for sure). Top Style:
    >> <http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/>, there's also a lite version
    >> available in the download section.
    >>

    > funnily enough i do use topstyle as well but mainly for validating
    > stuff.... i find it too annoying to actually write in.. unless thats
    > just me having the settings wrong..
    > thanks for thinking of me though.

    TopStyle has an HTML editor, but I never use that, it does too much
    prompting for my taste (I use HTML-Kit). However, I do like the CSS editor,
    it does just enough prompting. I usually start writing my CSS in the head
    section, then when I'm happy with it, I copy it to TopStyle, so I really
    only use it when I can't remember a property (sometimes it's faster to use
    TopStyle than to look it up) or a color value.

    Adrienne, Jul 7, 2005
  17. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "the idiot"
    > <> writing in
    >

    > > "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "the idiot"
    > >> <> writing in

    > >> I was like you once... you will like Top Style better, and it might
    > >> integrate with Ace (don't know for sure). Top Style:
    > >> <http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/>, there's also a lite version
    > >> available in the download section.
    > >>

    > > funnily enough i do use topstyle as well but mainly for validating
    > > stuff.... i find it too annoying to actually write in.. unless thats
    > > just me having the settings wrong..
    > > thanks for thinking of me though.
    > >

    > TopStyle has an HTML editor, but I never use that, it does too much
    > prompting for my taste (I use HTML-Kit). However, I do like the CSS

    editor,
    > it does just enough prompting. I usually start writing my CSS in the head
    > section, then when I'm happy with it, I copy it to TopStyle, so I really
    > only use it when I can't remember a property (sometimes it's faster to use
    > TopStyle than to look it up) or a color value.

    i find that when i left clickon a point in the page to start adding some
    code (and then type away furiously without looking up) that it has done
    nothing and i have to left click again and start again.... which is far too
    annoying. (or am i doing something wrong) ...probably. bah.. do like it
    though. but i learnt html on ace so i stick to that.
    the idiot, Jul 7, 2005
  18. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "the idiot" <> wrote in message

    > "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "the idiot"
    > > <> writing in
    > >

    > > > "Adrienne" <> wrote in message

    > > > funnily enough i do use topstyle as well but mainly for validating
    > > > stuff.... i find it too annoying to actually write in.. unless thats
    > > > just me having the settings wrong..
    > > > thanks for thinking of me though.
    > > >

    > > TopStyle has an HTML editor, but I never use that, it does too much
    > > prompting for my taste (I use HTML-Kit). However, I do like the CSS

    > editor,
    > > it does just enough prompting. I usually start writing my CSS in the

    head
    > > section, then when I'm happy with it, I copy it to TopStyle, so I really
    > > only use it when I can't remember a property (sometimes it's faster to

    use
    > > TopStyle than to look it up) or a color value.
    > >

    > i find that when i left clickon a point in the page to start adding some
    > code (and then type away furiously without looking up) that it has done
    > nothing and i have to left click again and start again.... which is far

    too
    > annoying. (or am i doing something wrong) ...probably. bah.. do like it
    > though. but i learnt html on ace so i stick to that.

    obviously i just opened topstyle and it did no such thing... words typed
    appeared immediately. but but but it certainly does something like that to
    annoy me.
    gah.. time for another cold one i think
    the idiot, Jul 7, 2005