Top-posting &c. (was Re: [ANNC] pybotwar-0.8)

Chris Angelico

Look you are the only person complaining about top-posting.
GMail uses top-posting by default.
I can't help it if you feel irritated by it.

I post using gmail, and I just delete two blank lines at the top and
go down the bottom to type. But on the way down, I also trim quoted
text, so people don't have to download and read the entire thread for
every new post. It's not difficult, you should give it a try some
time!

And FWIW, I add my voice to those who prefer to read replies
underneath the original text. Even if Mark were the only person vocal
enough to complain, you can still rest assured that there are many
more who agree. You've now heard from quite a few regular posters;
there are probably several *hundred* lurkers who feel the same way,
but do not post (possibly because they cannot). Also, these mails get
archived all over the internet, so a generation not yet born can read
and be either enlightened or irritated, as the case may be.

ChrisA

Madison May

And FWIW, I add my voice to those who prefer to read replies

underneath the original text. Even if Mark were the only person vocal

enough to complain, you can still rest assured that there are many

more who agree. You've now heard from quite a few regular posters;

there are probably several *hundred* lurkers who feel the same way,

but do not post (possibly because they cannot). Also, these mails get

archived all over the internet, so a generation not yet born can read

and be either enlightened or irritated, as the case may be.

ChrisA

As a lurker, I agree completely with Chris's sentiments.

Madison May

And FWIW, I add my voice to those who prefer to read replies

underneath the original text. Even if Mark were the only person vocal

enough to complain, you can still rest assured that there are many

more who agree. You've now heard from quite a few regular posters;

there are probably several *hundred* lurkers who feel the same way,

but do not post (possibly because they cannot). Also, these mails get

archived all over the internet, so a generation not yet born can read

and be either enlightened or irritated, as the case may be.

ChrisA

As a lurker, I agree completely with Chris's sentiments.

Dennis Lee Bieber

As a lurker, I agree completely with Chris's sentiments.

I've been holding back on quoting the "netiquette RFC"... I also
tend to blame M$ (Outlook and variants) for this tendency to quote
everything and top-post -- Outlook makes it almost impossible to do a
trim&interleave response style.

Including everything as a trailing quote may be okay in an office
environment, where it serves more as a photocopy included with an paper
mail response. But anyone "raised" on 2400bps dial-up on a service that
charged by the minute (GEnie, Compuserve, et al) rapidly learned to use
as a log-in/pull/log-off/read-reply/log-in/send system, and to remove as
much $$ quoted text as possible.

Ulrich Eckhardt

I that Outlook & Co are guilty. That and the fact that few people even
think about this. Even today that makes sense, because it provides an
exact context. Without that, you wouldn't be able to really understand
what exactly a person is referring to. Also, it helps people to
structure their thoughts better.

If the above paragraph doesn't make sense to you, see it interleaved
below for enlightenment. ;)

Am 17.08.2012 07:19, schrieb Dennis Lee Bieber:
[...]

I tend to disagree with the bandwidth argument, which is obsolete. To
me, it's more about communication efficiency and it's only one possible
way to achieve that.

Uli

rusi

I post using gmail,

If you register on the mailing list as well as google groups, you can
then use googlegroups.
Thereafter appropriately cutting out the unnecessary stuff is easy

Grant Edwards

That may have been true -- in this thread -- so far.

If you don't care whether or not people read your posts, go ahead and
top-post. FWIW, you can make up your own private character encoding
and language and post in that if you want. But, if your goal is to
communicate effectively with others, then proper formatting and
editing is A Good Thing(TM).
I post using gmail, and I just delete two blank lines at the top and
go down the bottom to type. [...]
And FWIW, I add my voice to those who prefer to read replies
underneath the original text.

Same here. I often skip reading top-posted articles entirely, since I
don't really care to take the time to start reading at the bottom,
working my up, trying to figure out exactly what the poster is
replying or referring to in the blob of context-free text at the top.

rusi

        I've been holding back on quoting the "netiquette RFC"...I also
tend to blame M$ (Outlook and variants) for this tendency to quote
everything and top-post -- Outlook makes it almost impossible to do a
trim&interleave response style.

        Including everything as a trailing quote may be okay in an office
environment, where it serves more as a photocopy included with an paper
mail response.

I was in a corporate environment for a while. And carried my
'trim&interleave' habits there.
And got gently scolded for seeming to hide things!!

Just mentioning that there are cultures other than this one.

Of course, "Do in Rome as romans do" is universally sound advice,
(with Rome suitably parameterized), so its best to follow the
netiquette of the forum you are using.

Steven D'Aprano

I was in a corporate environment for a while. And carried my
'trim&interleave' habits there.
And got gently scolded for seeming to hide things!!

Corporate email users are generally incompetent at email no matter what
email conventions you use. I cannot tell you the number of times I have
emailed somebody, top-posted, explicitly said "We have three questions
blocking progress, please answer all three", asked the three questions in
clearly numbered bullet points... and got an answer back to the first and
not even an acknowledgement of the other two.

Nevertheless, I've taken up writing at the top of emails

"My replies are interleaved with your questions which are shown starting
with > symbols."

to make it obvious that they should keep reading.

It *is* possible to top-post and communicate effectively, it just takes a
LOT more work, and the sorts of people who prefer top posting simply
don't do it. Top-posting only works for shallow communication: simple
questions, simple replies, and shallow threads, two or three replies at
most. It's good for emails like:

Subject: Meet you at the pub on Friday afternoon?

See u there!!!