Top Turds of comp.lang.perl.misc (2007)

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by perl-2007@hotmail.com, Apr 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Most contributors to comp.lang.perl.misc are helpful and share good
    information. Unfortunately there are a few individuals who are
    frequently rude and abusive. For their bad behavior they are hereby
    named the Top Turds of comp.lang.perl.misc for 2007.

    7. Jürgen Exner
    Generally okay but occasionally throws tantrums

    6. Tad McClellan
    Never learned how to get along with others

    5. Purl Gurl
    Nuff said!

    4. A. Sinan Unur
    Luckily the a.sinine one has been absent for a while

    3. Michele Dondi
    Surely one of the rudest Italians ever!

    2. Uri Guttman
    Start using the Shift key, dumb ass. Quit hyping your pathetic
    File::Slurp module so much. And cut out the whining!

    And the stinkiest turd of all...

    1. Sherm Pendley
    This arrogant asshole seems to think he has all the answers and is
    consistently condescending and bullying. Undoubtedly one of the most
    obnoxious posters in the history of the group.

    , Apr 11, 2007

    On Apr 11, 1:11 pm, wrote:
    > For their bad behavior they are hereby
    > named the Top Turds of comp.lang.perl.misc for 2007.

    Your list includes a troll (pg), which diminishes its credibility.

    However, just out of curiosity, can you cite a single instance where
    someone posted a message which conforms to the group's posting
    guidelines and was treated rudely by anyone on your list (except the
    troll)?

    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Apr 11, 2007

  3. Uri Guttman Guest

    and when you contribute help here or on cpan and not anonymously, then
    you might not be in all those killfiles. hope you like python cause you
    ain't getting help here.

    p> And the stinkiest turd of all...

    you are surely that winner. take a bow.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 11, 2007
  4. On Apr 11, 1:11 pm, wrote:
    > Most contributors to comp.lang.perl.misc are helpful and share good
    > information. Unfortunately there are a few individuals who are
    > frequently rude and abusive. For their bad behavior they are hereby
    > named the Top Turds of comp.lang.perl.misc for 2007.
    >
    > 7. Jürgen Exner
    > Generally okay but occasionally throws tantrums
    >
    > 6. Tad McClellan
    > Never learned how to get along with others
    >
    > 5. Purl Gurl
    > Nuff said!
    >
    > 4. A. Sinan Unur
    > Luckily the a.sinine one has been absent for a while
    >
    > 3. Michele Dondi
    > Surely one of the rudest Italians ever!
    >
    > 2. Uri Guttman
    > Start using the Shift key, dumb ass. Quit hyping your pathetic
    > File::Slurp module so much. And cut out the whining!
    >
    > And the stinkiest turd of all...
    >
    > 1. Sherm Pendley
    > This arrogant asshole seems to think he has all the answers and is
    > consistently condescending and bullying. Undoubtedly one of the most
    > obnoxious posters in the history of the group.

    Thank you for lowering the standard on this group.

    grocery_stocker, Apr 12, 2007

    grocery_stocker, Apr 12, 2007
  6. <> wrote:

    > Most contributors to comp.lang.perl.misc are helpful and share good
    > information.

    And here is a list of some of them:

    > 7. Jürgen Exner

    > 6. Tad McClellan

    > 4. A. Sinan Unur

    > 3. Michele Dondi

    > 2. Uri Guttman

    > 1. Sherm Pendley

    They all post using their real names.

    What is your real name?

    Or are you more cowardly than they?

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Apr 12, 2007

    On Apr 11, 8:02 pm, Tad McClellan <> wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > They all post using their real names.
    >
    > What is your real name?
    >
    > Or are you more cowardly than they?

    Or maybe he wishes to remain anonymous since this little thing called
    the internet is an anonymous playhouse ;)

    , Apr 12, 2007

    On Apr 11, 6:49 pm, "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote:
    > Actually, no. I am still around

    That's good to know! I was a neophyte when you were more active here,
    and you taught me a lot. If you visit OSCON here in Portland, I owe
    you a coffee/beer.

    , Apr 12, 2007
  9. Octo Guest

    On 11 Apr, 21:11, wrote:
    > Most contributors to comp.lang.perl.misc are helpful and share good
    > information. Unfortunately there are a few individuals who are
    > frequently rude and abusive. For their bad behavior they are hereby
    > named the Top Turds of comp.lang.perl.misc for 2007.
    >
    > 7. Jürgen Exner
    > Generally okay but occasionally throws tantrums
    >
    > 6. Tad McClellan
    > Never learned how to get along with others
    >
    > 5. Purl Gurl
    > Nuff said!
    >
    > 4. A. Sinan Unur
    > Luckily the a.sinine one has been absent for a while
    >
    > 3. Michele Dondi
    > Surely one of the rudest Italians ever!
    >
    > 2. Uri Guttman
    > Start using the Shift key, dumb ass. Quit hyping your pathetic
    > File::Slurp module so much. And cut out the whining!
    >
    > And the stinkiest turd of all...
    >
    > 1. Sherm Pendley
    > This arrogant asshole seems to think he has all the answers and is
    > consistently condescending and bullying. Undoubtedly one of the most
    > obnoxious posters in the history of the group.

    In my youth I often found myself working menial computer jobs, being a
    data janitor essentially. In order to preserve my sanity and alleviate
    the mind numbing tedium of such rock-breaking endeavours I would often
    smoke pipes of cannabis in the toilets of these establishments. One
    day I was preparing a sacrement from my last tiny blim and such was
    the paltry amount of my stash that I fumbled it and dropped it down
    the toilet into which I had just relieved myself (number ones only
    fortunately). Well, you can imagine the agony of that moment. I
    considered for several seconds before the overwhelming truth burst
    into my mind: You know you're going to fish it out, and the process,
    not to mention your blow, will become exponentially worse the longer
    you wait. So it came to be that 5 seconds after the fumble my stash
    was once again held in my hand, albeit a pissier hand than the one
    with which I had entered the gents.

    I suspect this experience precisely mirrors the sequence of emotions
    felt by many people who endeavour to find help in this newsgroup.

    Yours faithfully
    Richard Gration

    Yes, that's my real name. Even now I am joyfully warming my hands on
    the blazing bridge fire behind me ...

    Octo, Apr 12, 2007

    On Apr 12, 10:57 am, Purl Gurl <> wrote:

    > My presumption is you insulting meatheads have not noticed this
    > discussion group is dying because of you childish troll boys.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/about?hl=en

    Hmmm. So the total number of questions is declining. "Calls to the
    helpdesk" are declining. The "helpdesk" must have been doing a good
    job of educating the users. I've gotten a good education in this
    group with expert advice promptly and freely offered. But I'm getting
    better, so I need to ask fewer questions.

    If problems were *increasing*, I'd be more concerned.

    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Apr 13, 2007
  11. Purl Gurl <> wrote:

    > My presumption is you insulting meatheads have not noticed this
    > discussion group is dying because of you childish troll boys.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/about?hl=en

    Quantity is not related to quality.

    There are less posts because the meatheads have already answered
    most of the questions.

    And because they are so turdish, people hope to find their answer
    via Google Groups so that they won't have to suffer the anguish
    that comes with a fresh answer to their question.

    The decline in traffic is due to greater overall efficiency!

    Tad McClellan, Apr 13, 2007
  12. Ed Jay wrote:
    > On 16 Mar, "The Count" wrote:
    >> Im a BSc4 Maths/Computer Science student and would like to find out
    >> the best way to learn programming in perl.Perl is not offered in my
    >> course but I find that it is a very popular language.I can program in
    >> Pascal,Delphi and C++...

    > Perl isn't offered in the BSc/CS curriculum? That speaks loudly to
    > me. I tried to take a course in Perl at my local junior college, but
    > it's not offered.

    You are offered courses in specific programming languages? What a concept is
    that?

    Learning algorithms is part of the curriculum, learning data structures is
    part of the curriculum, learning fundamentals of programming language design
    may be part of the curriculum. But not learning a specific language.

    When I was at university we had to deliver our solutions in whatever
    language the professor prescribed, but we had to learn those languages on
    your own. If it was an unusual language then the professor might condescent
    to present the language in one two-hour lecture or maybe offer a one
    afternoon addon tutorial. But after that you were on your own.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 14, 2007
  13. On Apr 14, 12:34 am, Ed Jay <> wrote:
    > scribed:
    >
    > >On Apr 12, 8:45 pm, Tad McClellan <> wrote:
    > >> The decline in traffic is due to greater overall efficiency!

    > >Actually, it's because Perl is dying.

    Do you have some kind of data to support this assertion?

    > >People are using other languages, Java, PHP, and in my area, Python.
    > >We still use a good amount of Perl, in fact, I'm engaged in a fairly
    > >large database automation program which will probably use about 15 or
    > >so Perl scripts. But serious developers will use Java, or even VB
    > >(yes, even VB) rather than Perl, at least in my community.

    > >If you want to get laughed at, use Perl. It's so ... 80's.

    Each programming language has it's own strengths and weaknesses. If I
    feel perl is the right tool to solve the problem, I'll use it.

    > As a struggling Perl newbie, I derive little encouragement to pursue my
    > education from your statements. Perhaps it's time for me to go down a
    > different programming path while I'm still embryonic.
    >
    > I'm even less encouraged when I read:
    >
    > On 16 Mar, "The Count" wrote:
    >
    > >Im a BSc4 Maths/Computer Science student and would like to find out
    > >the best way to learn programming in perl.Perl is not offered in my
    > >course but I find that it is a very popular language.I can program in
    > >Pascal,Delphi and C++...

    > Perl isn't offered in the BSc/CS curriculum? That speaks loudly to me. I
    > tried to take a course in Perl at my local junior college, but it's not
    > offered.

    Did schools like MIT or Stanford ever offer a "regular" course in
    Perl? Please enlighten me on this because I never applied to either of
    these schools.

    > Which brings me back on-topic. Many of the people who come to
    > comp.lang.perl.misc are people, like myself and 'The Count,' who are forced
    > to learn on our own. This newsgroup is chartered to be among our Internet
    > resources. I'm therefore struck with amazement when I read a group veteran's
    > response to a newbie's technical question and obvious Usenet-newbie request
    > that the answer be sent to him by email:

    Forced to learn on our own? You don't learn because you love to learn?

    > >How profoundly rude of you!
    > >The reason this newsgroup exists is to help fellow programmers.
    > >They will not be helped if you hoard the answer.

    > How profoundly rude, indeed! Having lurked here for a couple of months, the
    > offensive response was expected from the NG regular. As are set of similar
    > comments, by many of the people in the OP's list. Look at the blatant
    > hypocrisy in the above. Does anyone really think that this type of response
    > provides assistance or fosters a desire to further participate in this
    > forum? Or, to learn and perpetuate this programming language?
    >
    > Or, does it matter?

    I forgot what else I was going to say.

    Chad

    grocery_stocker, Apr 14, 2007

    I spoke harshly. I may have had justification, or at least
    provocation, and that may or may not excuse my harsh words. Please let
    me temper what I said, as a former Perl newbie to a present Perl
    newbie.

    Programming languages, and all software (including OS's), are merely
    tools. Use the best tool for the job. Personally, I believe that
    everyone should be proficient in a scripting language and a system
    language. People differ on what falls into what category, but for me,
    I choose Perl for my scripting language and Java for my system
    language. My present job requires a lot of heavy duty text and file
    processing. IMO, Perl is THE BEST (!!!) tool for this. Java can't
    touch it.

    By the same token, if I have to build software that requires more than
    about 50 LOC, I'll use Java. Java is an industrial strength tool
    suitable for industrial programming, Perl isn't. Yeah, web pages,
    database stuff, system administration, file manipulation, use Perl for
    this -- you really can't beat it.

    And ... if you look at these tasks ... they have been around for quite
    a while, and despite what I said about Perl being so 80's, it's a
    mature and well supported technology. You won't misspend your time
    gaining proficiency in Perl.

    CC

    On Apr 14, 3:34 am, Ed Jay <> wrote:
    > Which brings me back on-topic. Many of the people who come to
    > comp.lang.perl.misc are people, like myself and 'The Count,' who are forced
    > to learn on our own. This newsgroup is chartered to be among our Internet
    > resources. I'm therefore struck with amazement when I read a group veteran's
    > response to a newbie's technical question and obvious Usenet-newbie request
    > that the answer be sent to him by email:
    >
    > >How profoundly rude of you!
    > >The reason this newsgroup exists is to help fellow programmers.
    > >They will not be helped if you hoard the answer.

    > How profoundly rude, indeed! Having lurked here for a couple of months, the
    > offensive response was expected from the NG regular. As are set of similar
    > comments, by many of the people in the OP's list. Look at the blatant
    > hypocrisy in the above. Does anyone really think that this type of response
    > provides assistance or fosters a desire to further participate in this
    > forum? Or, to learn and perpetuate this programming language?
    >
    > Or, does it matter?
    > --
    > Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)

    , Apr 15, 2007
  15. Uri Guttman Guest

    MD> 'How profoundly rude of you!' ne 'How profoundly rude you are!';

    michele, please don't try to teach such good logical english! you don't
    speak it natively! :)

    >> If anyone needs help, it's people who behave as you have in your response.

    MD> While I don't have the slightest idea of how you can claim that, I
    MD> suppose you're right. In fact I *do* often need help. In
    MD> particular, when I need help with Perl, this group is my preferred
    MD> resource to search it. Actually I've learnt more from here about
    MD> it than from anything else. Incidentally, I've never been told
    MD> that I was being rude, by the regulars that is. I've never felt
    MD> insulted or offended, by the regulars that is. YMMV. Indeed, it
    MD> seems it *does*, for some reason that completely eludes my
    MD> comprehension. I'm just sorry for you, because I consider myself
    MD> lucky for having had the opportunity to receive help from this
    MD> group.

    ok, i will insult you gratuitously: you're just an italian perl hacker!!

    :)

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 15, 2007
  16. Uri Guttman Guest

    EJ> If bad programming makes a person a horrible person, I'm in much more
    EJ> trouble than you are.

    you don't get it. it isn't bad programming that makes one bad. it is
    being a bad programmer who either doesn't know it (e.g. moronzilla) or
    doesn't want to get better and try to learn from those who are good
    programmers. and how do you judge the good coders? you look at a
    community of them and see how they are ranked there. just like chess
    ranking scores or scholarly published articles and who references them,
    the perl community has coders of many skill ranges. most of the regulars
    here or on other forums have proven their perl skills and knowledge and
    earned their respect and ranking (regardless of their tone in most
    cases). no one respects moronzilla is the point. you don't have the
    skills to even judge that and you think we are crazy for denigrating its
    skills.

    EJ> I'm known for having a wonderful sense of humor. You ought to see my code.

    coding isn't humorous. look at the lost mars probe due to a coding
    error. funny, ha ha. want funny code in your medical equipment or
    accurate code that was coded by a jerk you don't like? i know what i
    will buy.

    EJ> Again, don't be so fast feeling sorry for me. I too have had
    EJ> tremendous luck in getting help resulting from my participation in
    EJ> this NG, even as a lurker. As to my suggesting you were rude,
    EJ> etc., on reflection, after reading some of today's nasty posts
    EJ> your sarcasm probably triggered a proactive response. Sorry 'bout
    EJ> that.

    you used the word luck. that is the perfect choice for getting useful
    help from moronzilla. even a broken clock is right twice a
    day. moronzilla can answer some trivial questions correctly once in a
    while. its lack of depth of understanding programming in general and
    perl in specifics is astounding. ask i to analyze some algorithms
    using O(N) notation. ask it how to write a protocol. ask it how to do
    anything beyond kiddie text munging with substr. do you ever see it
    involved in threads outside its little skill set? that is what you
    should be looking at.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 15, 2007
  17. Uri Guttman wrote:

    >> 'How profoundly rude of you!' ne 'How profoundly rude you are!';

    > michele, please don't try to teach such good logical english! you
    > don't speak it natively! :)

    Unfortunately my observation over the past 10+ years has been that all too
    often non-native speakers care more about correct and logical use of the
    language while native speakers often are quite sloppy. In particlar those
    who grew up learning Americanese have a tendency to bastardize the English
    language to a point where it is impossible to decode the intended meaning of
    a sentence.

    "England and America are two countries separated by a common language."

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 15, 2007
  18. Michele Dondi <> wrote:

    > I've never felt insulted or offended,
    > by the regulars that is.

    Your feet stink!

    Tad McClellan, Apr 15, 2007
  19. Uri Guttman Guest

    EJ> I'm pretty sure I understand and appreciate where your hostility
    EJ> is coming from. But, I'm confused why an intelligent guy like you
    EJ> would allow someone you detest so and whose opinion you think so
    EJ> lowly of to push your buttons. You ask her to analyze an
    EJ> algorithm and she doesn't respond. Boom...you go ballistic and she
    EJ> laughs and calls you names. I'm going to do you a favor and offer
    EJ> you some assistance...read what I post below my signature and read
    EJ> <http://www.edbjay.com/unskilled.pdf>. Hopefully, you too will get
    EJ> it.

    simple. i care about perl and having people learn perl well. it posts
    stupid and wrong code and disparages the perl community with its
    blatherings. i don't get my buttons pushed as much as stand up to it and
    hopefully make sure others (like yourself) don't get suckered in by its
    trolling. call it defense of this newsgroup against the forces of
    moronic and delusional posters. sometimes it get dirty but the job has
    to be done.

    EJ> Ed Jay

    EJ> There is immense wisdom in the old proverb, "He that is slow to
    EJ> anger is better than the mighty." Hannah More said, "If I wished
    EJ> to punish my enemy, I should make him hate somebody."

    oh, i don't hate moronzilla. i hate what it stands for. i am appalled
    that my chosen profession is so easy to enter with so little actual
    skill. you wouldn't hire a doctor or lawyer with the level of skills you
    see in newbies or moronzilla. and too many of them work and screw things
    up and i am brought it to help clean up the mess. better to hire someone
    who knows what they are doing to begin with than cheap kiddies who are
    always over their heads. that is what i despise.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 15, 2007
  20. >>>>> "EJ" == Ed Jay <> writes:

    EJ> As a struggling Perl newbie, I derive little encouragement to
    EJ> pursue my education from your statements. Perhaps it's time
    EJ> for me to go down a different programming path while I'm still
    EJ> embryonic.

    If you take Purl Gurl seriously, you ought to be encouraged to go down
    a different career path altogether.

    EJ> Perl isn't offered in the BSc/CS curriculum? That speaks
    EJ> loudly to me. I tried to take a course in Perl at my local
    EJ> junior college, but it's not offered.

    That's because the educational curriculum focuses on tools that
    attempt to inculcate good programming habits or that demonstrate
    particular techniques. Perl does neither.

    Your goal in acquiring an education (which is what a BS is) ought to
    be to acquire a solid grounding in the theory underlying your
    profession. If you want vocational training in particular languages
    -- which is not what a BS is about -- there are a number of excellent
    consultancies that will teach you, whether the language in question is
    Perl or Java.

    EJ> How profoundly rude, indeed! Having lurked here for a couple
    EJ> of months, the offensive response was expected from the NG
    EJ> regular. As are set of similar comments, by many of the people
    EJ> in the OP's list. Look at the blatant hypocrisy in the
    EJ> above. Does anyone really think that this type of response
    EJ> provides assistance or fosters a desire to further participate
    EJ> in this forum? Or, to learn and perpetuate this programming
    EJ> language?

    I recommend, first, that you pay attention to the Posting Guidelines,
    and pay attention to how many people who follow the Posting Guidelines
    get flamed and treated rudely compared to how many people who do not
    follow them. There's a reason they exist.

    I recommend, second, that if you intend to continue in any technical
    field, that you develop the skill to learn by yourself by studying the
    documentation. If you develop that skill, you are responsible for
    your own success; if you fail to develop that skill, you make yourself
    permanently dependent on the benevolence and donated time of others.
    In situations where neither is available in sufficient quantity --
    such as this newsgroup -- you lose out.

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur