    start using C# with ASP.Net and I know exactly zero about either.

    Much appreciated,

    WTH

    WTH, Aug 25, 2004

  2. If you're experienced with C++, you should have no trouble adapting to C#.
    The Microsoft .Net SDK is a free download, and I highly recommend it:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A6-3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

    ASP.Net is actually a good bit harder to work with than Desktop executables,
    as HTTP is stateless, which makes maintaining state across page views
    complicated. As it is an Internetwork technology, security is also
    problematic.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 25, 2004

  3. WTH

    WTH Guest

    "Kevin Spencer" <> wrote in message
    > If you're experienced with C++, you should have no trouble adapting to C#.
    > The Microsoft .Net SDK is a free download, and I highly recommend it:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A6-3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

    > ASP.Net is actually a good bit harder to work with than Desktop

    executables,
    > as HTTP is stateless, which makes maintaining state across page views
    > complicated. As it is an Internetwork technology, security is also
    > problematic.

    I've got Java EJB experience as well, I assume that there are session
    contexts of some sort for state persistance betwixt pages.

    I started using C# today and can't believe how incredibly similar to Java it
    is in form and syntax.

    WTH

    WTH, Aug 25, 2004
  4. There is Session State alright, but there are other caching mechanisms as
    well, with different scopes, for different purposes. For example, for Page
    scope, there is ViewState, which compresses page-specific data into a hidden
    form field in the client HTML document, so that when it posts back, the
    server can restore its state. There is also Application State, which is
    truly global. And a few other minor players.

    Yes, it is similar to (but better than) Java. And if you've ever done any
    Delphi, you may notice similarity there as well.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 25, 2004
  5. Re: Total newbie (experienced C++ dev) looking for C# with ASP.Net

    > Just an unrelated comment, why would any body go from C++ to C# - not that
    > anything is wrong with it, but to me it is a step down?!

    Can you write a .Net application in C++?

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 25, 2004
  6. WTH

    WTH Guest

    > > Just an unrelated comment, why would any body go from C++ to C# - not

    that
    > > anything is wrong with it, but to me it is a step down?!

    > Can you write a .Net application in C++?

    Afaik you can :). You just don't want to.

    WTH

    WTH, Aug 25, 2004
  7. WTH

    WTH Guest

    > Just an unrelated comment, why would any body go from C++ to C# - not that
    > anything is wrong with it, but to me it is a step down?!

    Different tool for a different purpose. The shop I'm going to work for uses
    ASP .Net for web administration of certain back end services and they want
    to use C# with ASP .Net rather than VBScript or other scripting languages.

    I'll still be doing C++/OpenGL/DirectX code as well, that's just a different
    set of responsibilities.

    WTH

    WTH, Aug 25, 2004
  8. Re: Total newbie (experienced C++ dev) looking for C# with ASP.Net

    I believe C# offers a better, more efficient way of doing routine tasks.
    that's the reason i switched. it's difficult to accept other languages at
    first because C++ is like a cult.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Aug 25, 2004
  9. WTH

    Ben Lovell Guest

    Re: Total newbie (experienced C++ dev) looking for C# with ASP.Net

    Hi,

    If you're starting out i'd recommend the following books for ASP.NET, C# and
    the .NET framework in general:

    Essential ASP.NET with examples in C# (Fritz Onion)
    Inside C# (Tom Archer)
    Applied Microsoft.NET Framework Programming (Richter)

    Take a look at the Quickstart tutorials that are installed with the .NET SDK
    also for a good starting point. With your kind of background you shouldn't
    have any trouble picking up the essentials.

    --
    Ben
    http://bitarray.co.uk/ben

    Ben Lovell, Aug 25, 2004
  10. WTH

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Reza Solouki wrote:
    > Just an unrelated comment, why would any body go from C++ to C# - not
    > that anything is wrong with it, but to me it is a step down?!

    If gravity inverts, it's a step down ;-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Joerg Jooss

    Joerg Jooss, Aug 25, 2004
  11. WTH

    Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9B3A2CA6-3647-4070->
    9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

    > ASP.Net is actually a good bit harder to work with than Desktop

    executables,
    > as HTTP is stateless, which makes maintaining state across page views
    > complicated. As it is an Internetwork technology, security is also
    > problematic.

    OK, I guess this is a little bit of a digression. But I do not agree that
    ASP.NET (or really web dev) is any *harder* than desktop apps. Just
    different. Trade state management with client dll dependencies and the
    need for installers. Trade the web security hastles with the hastles of
    having client apps authenticate directly to the data store...

    > --
    > HTH,
    > Kevin Spencer
    > ..Net Developer
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Big things are made up
    > of lots of little things.
    >
    > "WTH" <> wrote in message
    > > ...pointers.
    > >
    > > Any good books or starting points? New job in a few weeks and they

    want
    > > start using C# with ASP.Net and I know exactly zero about either.
    > >
    > > Much appreciated,
    > >
    > > WTH

    , Aug 26, 2004