total newbie question

SS

I know nothing about C.

In the new year I'm going to have to do some C programming at Uni.
What software do I need to do this - I believe i need a compiler?

does this software run as a windows application?

can anyone point me to some learning resources - web based tutorials would
be good!
what book would you reccomend to a newbie to get them started?

thanks in advance.

Florian Weingarten

SS said:
In the new year I'm going to have to do some C programming at Uni.
What software do I need to do this - I believe i need a compiler?
does this software run as a windows application?

There are compilers for the C language for most operating systems. For
windows, there are for example the Microsoft Visual C++ (which includes a C
compiler) or if you do not want to buy one, you can use the free GNU C
compiler (`gcc').
what book would you reccomend to a newbie to get them started?

The C Programming Language
by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie
ISBN 0-13-110362-8
http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,4096,0131103628,00.html

Flo

Richard Heathfield

SS said:
I know nothing about C.

In the new year I'm going to have to do some C programming at Uni.
What software do I need to do this - I believe i need a compiler?

It would certainly be helpful, yes.
does this software run as a windows application?

C compilers that run under Windows are indeed available. See:

http://www.compilers.net/

OR

http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/

can anyone point me to some learning resources - web based tutorials would
be good!

The two best (in fact, the only two *good*) C tutorials on the Web are:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/cclass/
http://www.geocities.com/tom_torfs/cintro.html

what book would you reccomend to a newbie to get them started?

One of these:

"The C Programming Language", 2nd edition;
"C: How to Program";
"C Programming: A Modern Approach".

Details of author names, ISBNs, etc, for those three books are available on
my site: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/clc/cbooks.html

Julian V. Noble

SS said:
I know nothing about C.

In the new year I'm going to have to do some C programming at Uni.
What software do I need to do this - I believe i need a compiler?

does this software run as a windows application?

can anyone point me to some learning resources - web based tutorials would
be good!
what book would you reccomend to a newbie to get them started?

thanks in advance.

Let me add to the other recommendations

"C Programming in 12 Easy lessons" by Greg Perry
(Sams Publishing, 1994)

if you can get a copy. If you are using a PC it has a version
of the Borlund Turbo C++ compiler which is relatively painless
to use and play with and won't take up a lot of hard disk.
Plus it has a bunch of examples, projects and lessons.

About the only thing it does not cover is the uses of recursion.

You won't learn anything fancy, but the book will give you enough
to start writing useful programs.

--
Julian V. Noble
Professor Emeritus of Physics

"Science knows only one commandment: contribute to science."
-- Bertolt Brecht, "Galileo".

SS

ok.
I downloaded a free borland compiler.
double clicked the icon for what I think is the compiler and a window opened
and closed so fast I coulnt see what was in it?

Do I use the compiler to write the program?
or do I write the program in something like note pad?

if I write it in note pad how does the compiler read it?

SS

Florian Weingarten

SS said:
double clicked the icon for what I think is the compiler and a window opened
and closed so fast I coulnt see what was in it?

Maybe you have to call the compiler with for example the .c-File you want
to compile as argument.
Do I use the compiler to write the program?
or do I write the program in something like note pad?

You can write .c Files in notepad, yes. But an editor with syntax
highlighting (like vim) would be better. The compiler does only compile the
files you wrote with the editor of your choice. There are also so called
"Integrated Developement Enviroments" (IDE) which is a combination of editor
and compiler. Microsoft Visual C++ for Windows or KDevelop for Linux are
such IDE's.
if I write it in note pad how does the compiler read it?

You save it as a .c file and tell the compiler the name of the file.

Flo

Simon Biber

SS said:
ok.
I downloaded a free borland compiler.
double clicked the icon for what I think is the compiler
and a window opened and closed so fast I coulnt see what
was in it?

Do I use the compiler to write the program?
or do I write the program in something like note pad?

if I write it in note pad how does the compiler read it?

Firstly, you should write your reply below the quoted text, and
snip away any irrelevant material such as the signature. This is
just good etiquette on Usenet. What you did is called
top-posting, and can get you lots of flames.

Secondly, questions about specific compilers and how to use
them are off-topic on comp.lang.c, because this newsgroup
discusses the C language itself as an abstract thing, rather
than discussing any particular implementation of it.

You should read the documentation for your compiler, and ask
questions about it in the appropriate forum, such as an email
list or newsgroup dedicated to the particular compiler.

However, I can tell you that the window opened and closed
because it is a command-line program that does nothing unless
invoked with the correct command line arguments (such as a
file name to compile). What you should do is open a Command
Prompt window to issue compile commands from. Become familiar
with the basics of the command prompt on your computer, such
as how to change to a particular directory (folder).

For my free borland compiler I type something like:
bcc32 program.c
and then it will load the file program.c in the current
directory, compile it, and output a file program.exe which
you can run. You must have saved the file program.c (or
some other name, but the .c extension is important).

You will need some editor to write programs in; Notepad will
do in a pinch, but there are much better alternatives available
to download.

Kevin Goodsell

SS said:

Don't top-post. If you don't know what that means, Google is your
friend. Please don't post again until you are able to do so properly.
I downloaded a free borland compiler.
double clicked the icon for what I think is the compiler and a window opened
and closed so fast I coulnt see what was in it?

Familiarize yourself with the command line ("DOS Prompt"). You'll need
to use it.
Do I use the compiler to write the program?

No, you use a text editor.
or do I write the program in something like note pad?

Notepad works, but is a very poor program for this kind of editing. I've
been using Crimson Editor, which is free (free as in cost, but not free
as in freedom) and is quite good in most areas, though a bit lacking in
a few other areas. It's extremely easy and intuitive to use (unlike Vim,
which someone else suggested).
if I write it in note pad how does the compiler read it?

You invoke the compiler, passing it the file it should compile as an
argument. As I said, familiarize yourself with the command line.

-Kevin

Morris Dovey

SS said:
ok.
I downloaded a free borland compiler.
double clicked the icon for what I think is the compiler and a window opened
and closed so fast I coulnt see what was in it?

You'll probably need to open an MS-DOS window and type in the
command. If documentation wasn't included in the download
package, you /may/ find http://www.iedu.com/mrd/c/Borland.txt
helpful (tcc and tlink command syntax info).

Julian V. Noble

SS said:
ok.
I downloaded a free borland compiler.
double clicked the icon for what I think is the compiler and a window opened
and closed so fast I coulnt see what was in it?

Do I use the compiler to write the program?
or do I write the program in something like note pad?

if I write it in note pad how does the compiler read it?

SS

Well, the version that came with Perry's book has an editing
window and runs the programs interactively. Turbo C was inter-
active. However, as others have noted, this group is about C,
not about how to use your computer to learn to program, in C
or any other language.