Total regular expressions virgin - string help!

Tony

Via regular expressions, how do I replace characters in a string with
""(nothing) if they aren't in an array of allowed characters?

var allowed = ["x","y"," "];

var string = "xyz w yz"; - replace everything not in allowed array.

RobG

Tony said:
Via regular expressions, how do I replace characters in a string with
""(nothing) if they aren't in an array of allowed characters?

var allowed = ["x","y"," "];

var string = "xyz w yz"; - replace everything not in allowed array.

<input type="text" value="zxujh yjhg xzhgt" onblur="

var allowed = [ 'x', 'y', ' '];
var re = new RegExp( '[^' + allowed.join('') + ']', 'g' );

alert( this.value.replace( re, '') );

">

RobG

Excellent, thanks Rob.

The use of an array is not necessary, the allowed characters can be a
simple string:

var allowed = 'xy ';
var re = new RegExp( '[^' + allowed + ']', 'g' );