Totally NewBie Question

Peterson

Hi all,

I am totally new to ASP.NET but I know VB. I haven't write webpage before.
Anyone got the idea of below question?

1. I use Visual Studio 6 to write VB. How about ASP.NET?
2. I use MS Access file to be the back end database? Can I use it when
writing ASP.NET?
3. When I browsing some website, sometimes it will appears .html file but
sometimes .aspx? when should i use html and when should i use .aspx?
4. What tools i need to write a ASP.NET application? (Dev. Tools, Database,
Web server...)
5. If i need to write a application like this page which have page to
booking a room, in fact, do i need to use ASP.NET?
https://reservations.precisionreservations.com/frmBookingForm.aspx

Thanks for answer this stupid question but it really helpful for my
understanding in ASP. =.=""""

tom pester

Hi Peterson,
1. I use Visual Studio 6 to write VB. How about ASP.NET?

This free IDE rules :
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/
2. I use MS Access file to be the back end database? Can I use it when
writing ASP.NET?

Of course
3. When I browsing some website, sometimes it will appears .html file
but
sometimes .aspx? when should i use html and when should i use .aspx?

Use html (a file with no code) if the page is a static page : it's always
the same and doesn't change in time
Use aspx ( a file with code) if the page is dynamic : it changes according
to user input, a backend database,...
4. What tools i need to write a ASP.NET application? (Dev. Tools,
Database,
Web server...)

See 1. to write code As database i suggest the new sql server 2005 express :
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/sql/default.aspx
5. If i need to write a application like this page which have page to
booking a room, in fact, do i need to use ASP.NET?
https://reservations.precisionreservations.com/frmBookingForm.aspx

You are asking the user for input and you want to store this input and take
ather actions on it right?
That sounds like a dynamic page that has to interact with a database and
give customize information back to the surfer.

Let me know if you have any more questions...

Cheers,
Tom Peste