Tough question - tell client to update?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by M O J O, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. M O J O

    M O J O Guest

    Hi,

    Is it possible (via Internet Explorer) to tell the clients to update?

    I have a picture that is shown in the client browsers. Often I replace
    the image and I want to tell all clients that are watching the
    webpage/image to update.

    Is this possible?

    I don't want to use some kind of timer update. I want to have control of
    when updating is due.

    I guess it's like the chanels function we had in Win2000.

    Any idea???

    Thanks!

    M O J O
    M O J O, Aug 5, 2003

  2. HTTP does not support it. You cannot send signals to the client without the
    client initiating the contact. This requires some kind of client side
    timer.
    The only other option is to thicken up the client so it can use more complex
    network protocols that can handle two way communication. Maybe an ActiveX
    control or Winforms client.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD