Towards Identifying Performance Bottlenecks

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Okay, I know there is likely no straght-forward way to get a definitive
    answer to the question, "why is my page loading so slowly tonight?"; but I'm
    thinking that there *are* some things we can measure to get *some* general
    idea of where the bottleneck is. I can sit here and theorize about why it's
    periodically slow, but I'd like to be able to know what's causing the
    periodical performance degradation.

    My situation is that I have an ASP.NET Web site hosted out on the Internet.
    Usually performance is great - the pages load fast. But sometimes it seems
    to take forever (3-5 seconds vs the usual < 1 second). I cache *every*
    database hit, so I can be pretty sure that the connection between my Web
    Server and SQL Server is *not* the explanation - at least after the initial
    page requests.

    Is there something I can do on my Web server (Yes, I have full admin access)
    to measure response times? What would I be measuring? I know in SQL Server
    there is Performance Monitor - what about Web sites?

    The case I'm most interested in knowing is this: how would I identify the
    case where [my Web server is performing normally/fast], but my local
    broadband carrier is having some performance bottleneck issues that explain
    most or all of the observed slow-down?

    Thanks for your consideration!

    -Jeff
    Jeff, Dec 20, 2005

  2. Are you using any type of IIS compression software
    like port80software? This can certainly help.

    You may also run into bottlenecks
    of network traffic at your co-location provider.

    --
    Robbe Morris - 2004/2005 Microsoft MVP C#
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/merit.asp

    Robbe Morris [C# MVP], Dec 20, 2005