Towards s-expression based XPath/XSLT implementation

Discussion in 'XML' started by Oleg Paraschenko, Jul 26, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    those who are still interested in "lisp vs xml" and "xml is a poor copy
    of s-expressions" issues, might find my recent writings interesting:

    Towards s-expression based XPath/XSLT implementation
    http://xmlhack.ru/protva/xquery/index.php/TowardsXslt

    Abstract:

    It's supposed that Lisp languages are ideal for implementing XML
    standards. Then why we don't have an XSLT processor written in Common
    Lisp or Scheme? I'm ignoring business issues and want to expose a
    technical problem.

    The popular representations of XML become showstoppers in implementing
    hidden XML/XPath/XSLT features. In this paper, I try to list the
    issues, both generic and specific to the representations:

    * object oriented,
    * DSSSL,
    * SXML.

    Also I record some low-level issues related to implementing XPath and
    XSLT.

    Finally, I introduce GSXML, a dialect of SXML.

    --
    Oleg Parashchenko olpa@ http://xmlhack.ru/ XML news in Russian
    http://uucode.com/blog/ Generative Programming, XML, TeX, Scheme

    Oleg Paraschenko, Jul 26, 2006

  2. Oleg Paraschenko

    Stefan Ram Guest

    "Oleg Paraschenko" <> writes:
    >those who are still interested in "lisp vs xml" and "xml is a poor copy
    >of s-expressions" issues, might find my recent writings interesting:
    >Towards s-expression based XPath/XSLT implementation
    >http://xmlhack.ru/protva/xquery/index.php/TowardsXslt
    >Finally, I introduce GSXML, a dialect of SXML.

    I wrote a Reader for my S-expression-like notation "Unotal" in Java.
    I decided to always represent elements as maps in memory,
    which is a good representation for attributes. The "body" of
    an element then is represented as the value of a special
    "__body" attribute. So, while SXML has decided to represent
    everything as a list, I took the other direction by
    representing everything as a map in the first place (however,
    the value of the "__body" attribute then is a list).

    I have specified a variant of S-expressions named "Unotal",
    which might be described as "S-expressions with attributes".
    Here are some notes comparing it to plain S-expressions, which
    also address attribute-representation with S-expressions:

    http://www.purl.org/stefan_ram/pub/s-expressions-compared-to-unotal

    And the general Unotal page:

    http://www.purl.org/stefan_ram/pub/unotal_en

    (A Java-Reader and -Writer for Unotal works, but lacks
    documentation. It is available under the GPL on request.)

    I also have started a link list for "S-expression like markup
    languages".

    http://purl.net/stefan_ram/garnoo/X...SXOYSXHEX78ZPRESSIONXGLIKEXGMARKUPXGLANGUAGES

    Stefan Ram, Jul 26, 2006

  3. Hello Stefan,

    thanks for pointing to Unotal. I've read the documentation and found
    the approach is quite interesting. But notice that there is a big
    difference in our approaches. You define a superset of XML, and I
    don't. I use SXML as an in-memory representation of XML, useful for my
    developments.

    > I also have started a link list for "S-expression like markup languages".

    Have you seen "XML Alternatives" by Paul Chistopolsky?
    http://www.pault.com/xmlalternatives.html

    By the way, Google Groups says about your message: "The author of this
    message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed
    from Groups in 5 days". Maybe it's not what you want.

    Oleg Paraschenko, Jul 28, 2006
  4. Oleg Paraschenko

    Stefan Ram Guest

    "Oleg Paraschenko" <> writes:
    >Have you seen "XML Alternatives" by Paul Chistopolsky?
    >http://www.pault.com/xmlalternatives.html

    Yes, I was aware of this resource.
    Thank you for the link and for your other comments!

    Stefan Ram, Jul 28, 2006