TR1 Book Now Available

Pete Becker

My book, "The C++ Standard Library Extensions: a Tutorial and
Reference", published by Addison-Wesley, is now available from an online
bookstore near you. It covers all of TR1. For more details, see
www.petebecker.com/tr1book.

Victor Bazarov

Pete said:
My book, "The C++ Standard Library Extensions: a Tutorial and
Reference", published by Addison-Wesley, is now available from an
online bookstore near you. It covers all of TR1. For more details, see
www.petebecker.com/tr1book.

That sounds awfully good, Pete! Here is a usual question: are there any
current compilers that are capable of [successfully] compiling the code
in the book right out of the box? If not, are there any places where some
extensions or libraries can be downloaded?

Noah Roberts

Victor said:
Pete said:
My book, "The C++ Standard Library Extensions: a Tutorial and
Reference", published by Addison-Wesley, is now available from an
online bookstore near you. It covers all of TR1. For more details, see
www.petebecker.com/tr1book.

That sounds awfully good, Pete! Here is a usual question: are there any
current compilers that are capable of [successfully] compiling the code
in the book right out of the box? If not, are there any places where some
extensions or libraries can be downloaded?

There is boost's tr1 but it is missing quite a bit (more than just the
math functions and such) from what I read in the docs.

Pete Becker

Victor said:
That sounds awfully good, Pete! Here is a usual question: are there any
current compilers that are capable of [successfully] compiling the code
in the book right out of the box? If not, are there any places where some
extensions or libraries can be downloaded?

You need the TR1 library. Boost has some of it, gcc has some of it.
Dinkumware sells a complete implementation as part of their Dinkum
Compleat Libraries (www.dinkumware.com). All of the examples in the book
compile with VC++ 7.1 and the Dinkumware library. I haven't tried them
with gcc and the Dinkumware library.

Victor Bazarov

Pete said:
Victor said:
That sounds awfully good, Pete! Here is a usual question: are there
any current compilers that are capable of [successfully] compiling
the code in the book right out of the box? If not, are there any
places where some extensions or libraries can be downloaded?

You need the TR1 library. Boost has some of it, gcc has some of it.
Dinkumware sells a complete implementation as part of their Dinkum
Compleat Libraries (www.dinkumware.com). All of the examples in the
book compile with VC++ 7.1 and the Dinkumware library. I haven't
tried them with gcc and the Dinkumware library.

Excellent! Are you (Dinkum) going to offer a deal when a copy of the
library (the V-express Edition) and a copy of your book are sold as
a package for the total [slightly] lower than the sum of two prices?

And can I get 25% of the profits from bundle sales for the suggestion? :)

Pete Becker

Victor said:
Excellent! Are you (Dinkum) going to offer a deal when a copy of the
library (the V-express Edition) and a copy of your book are sold as
a package for the total [slightly] lower than the sum of two prices?

Sorry, different distribution channels. But Amazon offers a discount if
you buy "The C++ Standard Library" and "The C++ Standard Library
Extensions" together.

P.J. Plauger

Victor said:
That sounds awfully good, Pete! Here is a usual question: are there any
current compilers that are capable of [successfully] compiling the code
in the book right out of the box? If not, are there any places where
some
extensions or libraries can be downloaded?

You need the TR1 library. Boost has some of it, gcc has some of it.
Dinkumware sells a complete implementation as part of their Dinkum
Compleat Libraries (www.dinkumware.com). All of the examples in the book
compile with VC++ 7.1 and the Dinkumware library. I haven't tried them
with gcc and the Dinkumware library.

We have. We've tested with an assortment of gcc v3.x and v4.x compilers.
We offer complete TR1 support for VC++ v7.1 and v8.0, somewhat reduced
support for v6.0 and v7.0. And, of course, we've tested with the most
recent versions of the EDG front end. The code takes advantage of the
compiler builtins (such as type traits and atomic synchronization for
shared_ptr) in the latest VC++ and EDG versions.

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com