    Can anyone recommend a good tool for my purpose?

    Many thanks in advance.

    Rukmal.

    Rukmal Fernando, Oct 10, 2003

  2. Rukmal Fernando

    José Joye Guest

    Maybe the tools from SysInternals is what you are looking for. It will catch
    all call make to Trace.WriteLine:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/debugview.shtml
    José
    "Rukmal Fernando" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been looking for a good Trace message monitoring tool to monitor

    trace

    José Joye, Oct 10, 2003

  3. "José Joye" <> wrote in message
    > Maybe the tools from SysInternals is what you are looking for. It will

    catch
    > all call make to Trace.WriteLine:
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/debugview.shtml

    I took a look at the above URL, but it doesn't say anything about capturing
    the output of Trace.WriteLine.

    In order to catch the output of Trace.WriteLine, you will need to create an
    instance of a class deriving from System.Diagnostics.TraceListener and then
    add it to the Trace.Listeners collection.

    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer

    John Saunders, Oct 11, 2003
  4. You might take a look at my article on tracelisteners at
    http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/customtracelistener.asp

    It has some example code for setting up a tracelistener.

    Jerry Dennany

    Jerry Dennany, Oct 13, 2003
  5. John Saunders wrote:
    > "José Joye" <> wrote in message
    >> Maybe the tools from SysInternals is what you are looking for. It
    >> will catch all call make to Trace.WriteLine:
    >>
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/debugview.shtml

    > I took a look at the above URL, but it doesn't say anything about
    > capturing the output of Trace.WriteLine.

    Jose means the output from the standard DefaultTraceListener class which
    generates messages using OutputDebugString. DebugView is an excellent tool
    to do this. BTW OutputDebugString is a double edges sword because it couples
    your application to the application reading the strings. If the reader
    program is not written correctly (eg you put a large delay in the code that
    reads the debug strings) then the thread writing the strings will be
    blocked. DebugView is well written, of course :). The VS.NET debugger will
    also read OutputDebugStrings, but only for the process that is being
    debugged. DebugView will do that for _all_ processes.

    Richard
    --
    my email is encrypted with ROT13 (www.rot13.org)

    Richard Grimes [MVP], Oct 27, 2003