traceback with warning/error messages

Jean Brouwers

Sporadically, a message like this one shows up in our wxPython
application:

(main.py:3182): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu
already attached to GtkMenuItem

Is possible but tedious to find the cause of the message by inserting
print statements. Is there an easier way, e.g. a traceback in Python
when lower level messages occur?

/Jean Brouwers

PS) This is wxPython 2.4.1.2 and Python 2.3.2 on Linux.

Jarek Zgoda

Jean Brouwers said:
Sporadically, a message like this one shows up in our wxPython
application:

(main.py:3182): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu
already attached to GtkMenuItem

Is possible but tedious to find the cause of the message by inserting
print statements. Is there an easier way, e.g. a traceback in Python
when lower level messages occur?

I see similar messages generated by (pure C++) wxWidgets applications,
such as poedit, when running on Linux, so I think it's a matter of bugs
in GTK backend implementation in wxWidgets, that propagate to wxPython.
PS) This is wxPython 2.4.1.2 and Python 2.3.2 on Linux.

You will see this in 2.5.1 even more often.

Jean Brouwers

In our particular case the warning message was not due to a bug in GTK.
The problem was that we were reusing a submenu in more than one popup
menu. But it took a while to reproduce the problem and figure that
out.

It would be very helpful if a Python traceback could be printed along
with an error or warning message from any of the lower levels in
wxPython**. Especially if such messages are going to happen more
often.

/Jean Brouwers

**) For example, instead of just printing the message, raise an
exception instead if some config option or environment variable is set.