Tracing, CultureInfo and infinite Recursion

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by GB, May 31, 2006.

  1. GB

    GB Guest

    All,

    There's a few messages around about the Environment.GetResourceString
    causing a "Resource lookup failed - infinite recursion detected." error
    but nothing detailed.

    I have a problem whereby I am changing the thread Culture Info from
    default (English) to a custom culture object (Welsh) in a .NET 1.1 ASPX
    page.

    It works fine except in some cases, when ASPX tracing is also enabled,
    the Environment.GetResourceString throws the exception. I think this is
    because the ASPX page and tracing processing are using the same thread
    and are both going into the GetResourceString method, hence the
    exception. This is when running through a debugging under VS 2003, so
    I'm assuming only one thread is being used 'cos of the debugger.

    I've not narrowed down exactly what causes the "in some cases" is yet
    but can anybody explain why tracing would cause this error, and why
    tracing would also go into the GetResourceString method? How does
    tracing work behind the scenes, as regards threading usage?

    Thanks

    GB, May 31, 2006