    this for web service calls? Surly there is some IIS plug in that will
    allow me to monitor this traffic?

    , May 28, 2006

  2. You can put tracing code right into the webservice that can be "turned on"
    via a web.config setting. Use a custom TraceWriter to send the messages to a
    log file, a database, or whatever you want.

    Here is a short article along these lines that could be helpful:

    Peter
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, May 28, 2006

  3. Another option is to use the IIS Diagnostics Tools.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/iis/diagnostictools/default.mspx

    Kirk Allen Evans
    Developer Evangelist
    Microsoft Corporation
    blogs.msdn.com/kaevans

    === This post provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights ===

    Kirk Allen Evans, May 28, 2006

    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the diag tools. They look helpful
    if I get calls that hang, but not for looking into slower calls. Also
    none of these tools show me the actual web service requests - something
    that should be easy to do as its all XML. I think the IIS team needs to
    have a look at the SQL tools and get something similar to their
    profiler. I beleive IBM have created such a tool for their web service
    solutions.

    Kirk Allen Evans wrote:
    > Another option is to use the IIS Diagnostics Tools.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/iis/diagnostictools/default.mspx
    >
    > Kirk Allen Evans
    > Developer Evangelist
    > Microsoft Corporation
    > blogs.msdn.com/kaevans
    >
    > === This post provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights ===
    >

    > "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > > You can put tracing code right into the webservice that can be "turned on"
    > > via a web.config setting. Use a custom TraceWriter to send the messages to
    > > log file, a database, or whatever you want.
    > >
    > > Here is a short article along these lines that could be helpful:
    > >
    > > http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20030402.asp
    > >

    > > Peter
    > > --
    > > Co-founder, Eggheadcafe.com developer portal:
    > > http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    > > UnBlog:
    > > http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
    > >

    > > "" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Our three tier web application is "pausing" under test loading (IIS 6.0
    > >> (win2003) -> Web services (win2003) -> SQL server) . The CPU usage on
    > >> the W3WP.exe on both the web server and middle tier drops to zero for
    > >> about 5 seconds then springs back into life. Nothing in the NT event
    > >> logs. No SQL database blocking.
    > >>
    > >> I suspect it is a particular web service call. With SQL server I can
    > >> start a "trace" and get a list of all SQL calls (and their
    > >> parameters) and how long they are taking - this allows me to track
    > >> down "slow" SQL code. I can't see any tool that allows me to do
    > >> this for web service calls? Surly there is some IIS plug in that will
    > >> allow me to monitor this traffic?

    , May 29, 2006
  5. You can hook the OnBeforeSerialize and OnAfterSerialize events to output SOAP
    Message logs. In ASP.NET 2.0, there are built -in configuration options to do
    this without the need to write additional code.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, May 29, 2006