Tracing Web service calls

magennisw

Our three tier web application is "pausing" under test loading (IIS 6.0
(win2003) -> Web services (win2003) -> SQL server) . The CPU usage on
the W3WP.exe on both the web server and middle tier drops to zero for
about 5 seconds then springs back into life. Nothing in the NT event
logs. No SQL database blocking.

I suspect it is a particular web service call. With SQL server I can
start a "trace" and get a list of all SQL calls (and their
parameters) and how long they are taking - this allows me to track
down "slow" SQL code. I can't see any tool that allows me to do
this for web service calls? Surly there is some IIS plug in that will
allow me to monitor this traffic?

magennisw

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the diag tools. They look helpful
if I get calls that hang, but not for looking into slower calls. Also
none of these tools show me the actual web service requests - something
that should be easy to do as its all XML. I think the IIS team needs to
have a look at the SQL tools and get something similar to their
profiler. I beleive IBM have created such a tool for their web service
solutions.