Track Images added to images folder and subfolders - send out email alerts

Guest

Is anyone aware of an elegant method to 'track' changes (additions,
deletions, edits) to an online server on my web host...in this case various
sub folders in the /IMAGES/ directory...

The reason I ask is that I need to be able to alert internal staff to to new
images added to various boat models on our site without reverting to sending
out manual email notificaitons.

Really appreciate any adivce on ways to achieve this as a .NET newbie.

- Jason

Scott Allen

You can use the FileSystemWatcher class from the System.IO namespace and
catch events when a file changes, or the contents of a directory change.

Eliyahu Goldin

You can make a windows service that will watch the directory with
System.IO.FileSystemWatcher class. Look at System.Web.Mail namespace for
sending emails.

Eliyahu

Guest

Ahhh...ok....thank you......but what if the folders are sitting with a
remote web host....is this still possible?

Eliyahu Goldin

No, FileSystemWatcher won't get there. I can think about something based on
FTP for this scenario. The service could connect to the remote host
periodically via FTP, get the list of files and do the job.

Eliyahu