    browser. I haven't been able to find any info on it or figure it out
    myself. How is this possible?
    , Dec 17, 2006

    No one?
    , Dec 18, 2006

  3. Elegie Guest

    wrote:

    Hi,

    > How can I track the mouse coordinates outside the active window? No
    > one can tell me its not possible because Google Spreadsheets and
    > EditGrid both do it.

    Sure I can :)

    That is not possible, sorry. The MOUSEMOVE listener has to be registered
    on some DOM element, and it won't follow the mouse moves that happens
    outside of this element.

    I have just tried Google Spreadsheets, using Firefox 1.5. I have reduced
    the window so that it occupies 1/4 of my desktop, have started some
    selection in the sheet and then have moused outside of the window. The
    program does not follow the mouse moves, it simply continues moving the
    selection towards the direction I had set when I left the window (in the
    meanwhile I've been clicking and writing to another window, some MS Word
    document, and the selection kept expanding).

    Could you explain why you need this feature? People around here have
    been solving lots of design issues, and yours may already have received
    some nice solution!

    Kind regards,
    Elegie.

    PS : If you're working in some secure and known environment, you could
    probably design some external component that would capture the mouse
    position, and use it directly from your script. The technology used
    would depend on the targeted platform and browser.
    Elegie, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Lee Guest

    said:

    >No one?

    One excellent way to make sure you don't get many responses is to
    say "No one can tell me...".

    Lee, Dec 18, 2006

    Didn't mean to be rude :)

    Actually you're right, it doesn't work in Firefox but it does work in
    Internet Explorer, so IE must have a proprietary thing going on. I
    should have mentioned that.
    , Dec 19, 2006