Track specific visitors who click on banner

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Guest, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    (subject included - apologies)

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Is there a simple way to track users leaving our site to vendors whose

    wares
    > we have advertised as a banner on our site.....?
    >
    > Some of the vendors we deal with may not have sophisticated tracking

    devices

    Guest, Aug 30, 2004

  2. If you have a way already of identifying your users, such as with a username
    as you suggested, then instead of doing a:

    use

    And code your out.asp page to log the info where you need it logged and then
    redirect the person to the link in the querystring.

    That's basically one way you could do it.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Aug 30, 2004

    Guest Guest

    Ahhh ok...but should I not also include the user's logged in username in the
    querystring?:

    or

    This way I could aproach http://someoneelsesites.com and say 'hey, I
    referred this specific customer to you...did it result in a sale, is so I
    would like a comission'

    Also Ray could you comment:

    1. I would be able to read my Surfstats/webtrends reporting at the end of
    each mnth and see that http://someonesles'ssite.com?username=John Doe (John
    Doe) visited that site x number of times vai the urls...is this approach
    acceptable or would a database be more elegant.....

    2. What about the Ad Banner component found in ASP...could this also work?

    Thanks
    Jason

    message news:%...

    Guest, Aug 31, 2004
  4. <> wrote in message
    > Ahhh ok...but should I not also include the user's logged in username in

    the
    > querystring?:

    Doe>BANNER</a>
    >
    > or

    I wouldn't pass the username in the querystring, since you probably have
    that available to you in a session variable, right?

    There are many ways to do what you want to do, and I guess it all depends on
    how involved you want it to be and what trade-offs you can live with. The
    quick and dirty way is to just pass the url in the querystring, but in doing
    that, you allow your users to see where you're sending them and go directly
    there and bypass your "out.asp" file. So, instead of the URL, you could do:
    out.asp?linkID=393, where that is the ID of a link in a database. But, for
    one, then you have to develop the means to manage your links in a database
    and add the little bit of overhead of retreiving the link from the database.
    Also, if you have to work with a designer who uses Dreamweaver or something,
    you'll have to make a "generate an ""Out Link"" for me to paste into the
    href box in Dreamweaver" or something like that. Either that, or designer
    will need to know how to get the link ID he wants.

    The advantage to doing it this way is that you can much more reliably track
    where your visitors are going when they leave through your "out.asp" page.
    And you can also worry less about people just pasting in the href that
    you're trying to send them to when they see it in the status bar. It all
    depends on what results you want, I suppose.

    > 1. I would be able to read my Surfstats/webtrends reporting at the end of
    > each mnth and see that http://someonesles'ssite.com?username=John Doe

    (John
    > Doe) visited that site x number of times vai the urls...is this approach
    > acceptable or would a database be more elegant.....

    I guess that also depends on your environment. It would make reporting
    easier to keep it all in Webtrends instead creating a second place you have
    to go for data!

    > 2. What about the Ad Banner component found in ASP...could this also work?

    IIRC, all that does is put in some random banners based on some parameters
    you put in a text file. That wouldn't track your out-bound traffic in any
    way. But, you could use it if you want your links out to vary with each
    page load.

    Ray at home
    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 1, 2004

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Ray! Actually, I am using a combination of cookies and database
    lookup to determine if the user is logged in.

    I fully understand the logic of the processing "out.asp" page but I am not
    sure your example helps with determining WHO left my site....it seems the
    out.asp page determines where the user wants to go and redirects him there.

    But, still not quite clear on how to keep running tabs on WHO left my site.

    I need to be able to negotiate with the reciever website and say this guy
    came in...did he buy?

    My final problem is that my login/reg system works great in Domain 1 via
    cookies and db lookup but obviously does not carry over to sister Domain
    2...I have read Aaron's shopping cart example but I'm still hoping for a
    solution to share cookies across domains and then track their departure to
    other sites.

    Thanks for you input Ray

    - Jason
    message news:ei5$...

    Guest, Sep 1, 2004
  6. <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Ray! Actually, I am using a combination of cookies and database
    > lookup to determine if the user is logged in.
    >
    > I fully understand the logic of the processing "out.asp" page but I am not
    > sure your example helps with determining WHO left my site....it seems the
    > out.asp page determines where the user wants to go and redirects him
    > there.

    I didn't explicitly explain this, but the way you'd track WHO is the same
    way you're tracking who's doing what in your other pages. Do you pull in
    user information on any of your other pages, like by looking up the person's
    name in your database based on a cookie value? You'd do the same thing in
    your out.asp page. Example:

    UserID = Request.Cookies("userid")
    LinkID = Request.Querystring("linkid")

    '''code here to get the URL associated with that link id, i.e.
    sSQL = "select href from ExitLinks where LinkID=" & linkid
    Set oADO = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    oADO.Open YourConnectionString
    Set oRS = oADO.Execute(sSQL)
    If Not oRS.EOF Then sLinkOut = oRS.Fields.Item(0).Value
    oRS.Close : Set oRS = Nothing
    sSQL = "insert into SiteExits values (UserID,LinkID)
    oADO.Execute sSQL,,129
    oADO.Close : Set oADO = Nothing

    Response.Redirect sLinkOut

    Does that make any sense?

    > My final problem is that my login/reg system works great in Domain 1 via
    > cookies and db lookup but obviously does not carry over to sister Domain
    > 2...I have read Aaron's shopping cart example but I'm still hoping for a
    > solution to share cookies across domains and then track their departure to
    > other sites.

    If you can't do the database method, you can do the <script src=> method.
    See here: http://www.pathlore.com/customer/support/tech_tip_may2003.asp

    Ray at work
    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 1, 2004