    to them. At present I am using an Excel spreadsheet to track changes and
    version upgrades but this is dirty.

    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    Stuart Clarke, Nov 9, 2010

  2. Stuart Clarke

    Dave Baldwin Guest

    On 9 Nov 2010, at 15:14, Stuart Clarke wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I was hoping to get some advice on how every keeps track of their own
    > personal scripts and development. I have several scripts which I use for
    > various tasks and I regularly have to update them and make small changes
    > to them. At present I am using an Excel spreadsheet to track changes and
    > version upgrades but this is dirty.
    >
    > Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    http://git-scm.com/

    Dave.

    Dave Baldwin, Nov 9, 2010

  3. Stuart Clarke

    Jeremy Bopp Guest

    On 11/9/2010 9:14 AM, Stuart Clarke wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I was hoping to get some advice on how every keeps track of their own
    > personal scripts and development. I have several scripts which I use for
    > various tasks and I regularly have to update them and make small changes
    > to them. At present I am using an Excel spreadsheet to track changes and
    > version upgrades but this is dirty.
    >
    > Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    It sounds like you want a version control solution. A spreadsheet is
    definitely lacking. I suggest you use Git:

    http://git-scm.com/

    It's supported on a wide range of platforms, efficient, and relatively
    easy to use for basic work. It also does not require that you set up
    any kind of server, unlike another popular alternative named Subversion
    (SVN). You can keep everything right in your workspace.

    -Jeremy

    Jeremy Bopp, Nov 9, 2010
  4. On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Stuart Clarke
    <> wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I was hoping to get some advice on how every keeps track of their own
    > personal scripts and development. I have several scripts which I use for
    > various tasks and I regularly have to update them and make small changes
    > to them. At present I am using an Excel spreadsheet to track changes and
    > version upgrades but this is dirty.
    >
    > Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    Use decent version control. Like Mercurial: mercurial.selenic.com

    It wins over Git in three instances: 1) It is fast on non-Linux
    systems, 2) it has a syntax that is not arcane, 3) it works very well
    for a sole developer (you'll only need "hq init", "hg add", "hg commit
    -m 'message'", and "hg update [version]").

    --
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Though the folk I have met,
    (Ah, how soon!) they forget
    When I've moved on to some other place,
    There may be one or two,
    When I've played and passed through,
    Who'll remember my song or my face.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Nov 9, 2010
  5. Stuart Clarke

    Jeremy Bopp Guest

    On 11/9/2010 11:26 AM, Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
    > On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Stuart Clarke
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> I was hoping to get some advice on how every keeps track of their own
    >> personal scripts and development. I have several scripts which I use for
    >> various tasks and I regularly have to update them and make small changes
    >> to them. At present I am using an Excel spreadsheet to track changes and
    >> version upgrades but this is dirty.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    > Use decent version control. Like Mercurial: mercurial.selenic.com
    >
    > It wins over Git in three instances: 1) It is fast on non-Linux
    > systems, 2) it has a syntax that is not arcane, 3) it works very well
    > for a sole developer (you'll only need "hq init", "hg add", "hg commit
    > -m 'message'", and "hg update [version]").

    Not to be too picky here, but point 3 is exactly equivalent to what you
    would do with git in this instance. :)

    I haven't personally used hg myself, but a GUI should help both git and
    hg be easier for a novice user. For git on Windows there is TortoiseGit:

    http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/

    I'm sure hg has an equivalent.

    Regarding the performance, I'm fairly sure that for small projects such
    as that proposed here the difference in negligible. Also, I don't think
    there are performance problems for git on anything *except* Windows.
    Git on Windows has been improving at any rate.

    In any case, there are some great options available. Give some a try,
    and pick what fits best into your work flow.

    -Jeremy

    Jeremy Bopp, Nov 9, 2010