Tracking down owner of a domain name

Discussion in 'HTML' started by patrick j, Jan 17, 2007.

  1. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    Hi

    I'm going to be creating a web-site for a friend who has an unusual
    name but is very well known in her particular field.

    Because her name is unusual I thought it was quite likely that a domain
    with her name would be available but I've discovered that it is not for
    the .com extension.

    I have tried the URL in a browser and there is currently no site for
    that URL but clearly someone owns it.

    Is there any way by which I could find out who owns this domain name?

    Fortunately it is available with .co.uk and .org extensions but it
    would be nice to have .com.

    Thank you.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>

    patrick j, Jan 17, 2007

  2. patrick j

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-01-17, patrick j <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm going to be creating a web-site for a friend who has an unusual
    > name but is very well known in her particular field.
    >
    > Because her name is unusual I thought it was quite likely that a domain
    > with her name would be available but I've discovered that it is not for
    > the .com extension.
    >
    > I have tried the URL in a browser and there is currently no site for
    > that URL but clearly someone owns it.
    >
    > Is there any way by which I could find out who owns this domain name?
    >
    > Fortunately it is available with .co.uk and .org extensions but it
    > would be nice to have .com.

    You can use a program called "whois". You just type "whois
    whatever.com".

    If you don't have the program there are websites that will do it for
    you. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois

    Ben C, Jan 17, 2007

  3. patrick j

    Ed Mullen Guest

    http://www.coolwhois.com/

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 17, 2007
  4. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    On Jan 17, 2007 Ben C wrote:

    > If you don't have the program there are websites that will do it for
    > you. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois

    Thank to yourself and Ed.

    I've used web-site suggested by Ed and it has worked very well.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>