    dummy/fake accounts.

    Any suggestions on this?

    Thanks.

    C# programmer, Jan 8, 2007

  2. What kind of tracking are you looking for? One of the simplest tracking
    mechanisms is instead of linking directly to a file, you link to an
    intermediate file and pass the URL of the download file as a parameter. This
    intermediate file, which we'll call download.aspx for now, can then save any
    info about the user available into a database then redirect the user to the
    url of the download item that was passed in as a parameter. This was you can
    grab their IP address, browser type, etc..

    --

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Jan 8, 2007

  3. Thanks for the response Mark.

    The tracking should be similar to the "Recently visited groups" in
    google groups. If you log into groups.google.com you will have the list
    of groups you visited recently. But if you log out then you will have
    different list of groups which you visited while you were not logged
    in.

    Now when the user is not logged in, how can we identify the user to
    keep track of the recently visited groups.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    Thanks.

    C# programmer, Jan 8, 2007