tracking sessions

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by panda, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. panda

    panda Guest

    Hi,

    I have a section of my intranet that i track with a session. That is to make
    sure that users have to login before they are able to use / view certain web
    pages.

    In my wwwroot directory i have two locations where these files are placed.
    The main files are in admin the other is in news.

    With these two folds they work fine. This is what i have on the web pages

    <%
    'If the session variable is False or does not exsist then redirect the user
    to the unauthorised user page
    If Session("blnIsUserGood") = False or IsNull(Session("blnIsUserGood")) =
    True then
    'Redirect to unathorised user page
    Response.Redirect"unauthorised_user_page.htm"
    End If
    %>

    However, i have another section of the intranet that is located in a
    different logical drive. I have created a virtual site mapping to this
    folder. I can access those webpages fine. HOwever when i add the code

    <%
    'If the session variable is False or does not exsist then redirect the user
    to the unauthorised user page
    If Session("blnIsUserGood") = False or IsNull(Session("blnIsUserGood")) =
    True then
    'Redirect to unathorised user page
    Response.Redirect"unauthorised_user_page.htm"
    End If
    %>

    and try to access it after logging in, the web page is unable to detect the
    session.

    Why is that?

    Thanks

    panda, Oct 25, 2006

  2. "panda" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a section of my intranet that i track with a session. That is to

    make
    > sure that users have to login before they are able to use / view certain

    web
    > pages.
    >
    > In my wwwroot directory i have two locations where these files are placed.
    > The main files are in admin the other is in news.
    >
    > With these two folds they work fine. This is what i have on the web pages
    >

    > <%
    > 'If the session variable is False or does not exsist then redirect the

    user
    > to the unauthorised user page
    > If Session("blnIsUserGood") = False or IsNull(Session("blnIsUserGood")) =
    > True then
    > 'Redirect to unathorised user page
    > Response.Redirect"unauthorised_user_page.htm"
    > End If
    > %>
    >
    > However, i have another section of the intranet that is located in a
    > different logical drive. I have created a virtual site mapping to this
    > folder. I can access those webpages fine. HOwever when i add the code
    >
    > <%
    > 'If the session variable is False or does not exsist then redirect the

    user
    > to the unauthorised user page
    > If Session("blnIsUserGood") = False or IsNull(Session("blnIsUserGood")) =
    > True then
    > 'Redirect to unathorised user page
    > Response.Redirect"unauthorised_user_page.htm"
    > End If
    > %>
    >
    > and try to access it after logging in, the web page is unable to detect

    the
    > session.
    >
    > Why is that?

    There's no such thing as a 'virtual site mapping', I think you mean virtual
    folder. Make sure that the virtual folder isn't itself configured as an
    application. Use the virtual directory tab in the properties dialog and
    click the remove button.

    Anthony Jones, Oct 25, 2006

  3. panda

    panda Guest

    Hi,

    Sorry it is a virtual site mapping to a folder not in the inetpub directory

    panda, Oct 27, 2006
  4. "panda" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Sorry it is a virtual site mapping to a folder not in the inetpub

    directory

    Like I said there is no such thing as a 'virtual site mapping'. You have
    either create a new web site in addition to the default web site already
    present or you have added a virtual folder to an existing web site. I
    suspect you have created a virtual folder and accidentally set it up as an
    application in it's own right.

    Anthony Jones, Oct 27, 2006