tracking visitors using asp question

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Burton Figg, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. Burton Figg

    Burton Figg Guest

    I have set up a very simple site tracker.

    Each page runs the following code, to insert basic details into a MySQL
    database.

    ref = request.servervariables("HTTP_REFERER")
    str = request.servervariables("SCRIPT_NAME") & "?" &
    request.servervariables("QUERY_STRING")
    ip = request.servervariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
    agt = request.servervariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT")
    sql = "INSERT INTO _tracker (fldurl, fldref, fldip, fldagent, flddate)
    VALUES ('"&str&"','"&ref&"','"&ip&"','"&agt&"',now())"
    set iRS = oConn.Execute(sql)
    set iRS = nothing

    I was using the IP address as the unique field here, so that I could run off
    a list of pages each person visits.

    However the problem is that I can look at any number of IP addresses and see
    that they visited the site at say, 11am, 3pm and 7pm.

    It could be the case that the same person is coming back 3 times, but also
    it is likely that with ISPs having a pool of IP addresses, that the IP
    address I am looking at has been used by 3 people.

    Do people know if there is another piece of info I could use to separate out
    the 3 IP addresses, in order to differentiate them? I'm also adding in to
    the databse the HTTP_USER_AGENT but this won't be foolproof as a way to
    split the same IP address up into possibly 3 different users as a lot of
    people have the same browsers / OS.

    Some site trackers are able to list the domain a person is visiting from -
    am I able to get this information using ASP?

    I have had a good trawl through the standard server variables list - where
    you loop through to see all the variables using 'for each sv in
    request.servervariables' but have not found anything of much use other than
    those I listed above.

    Thanks

    Jim
    ============
    www.jimpix.co.uk

    Burton Figg, Oct 26, 2003

  2. "Burton Figg" <> wrote in message
    > However the problem is that I can look at any number of IP addresses

    and see
    > that they visited the site at say, 11am, 3pm and 7pm.
    >
    > It could be the case that the same person is coming back 3 times,

    Yes.

    > but also it is likely that with ISPs having a pool of IP addresses,

    that the IP
    > address I am looking at has been used by 3 people.

    Also, Yes. By using DHCP that same address could circulate through
    any one of the ISP's customer each time disconnects from the internet
    and another connects. Also many "home user" DSL systems use DHCP
    (with PPPoE) and create the same effect. Even some business DSL
    connections use that.

    You could also have a 1000's of user's appear under the same IP
    address if they are behind a proxy server of a NAT based firewall.

    There is no dependable way to do what you wish. HTTP is "stateless",
    there is no constant connection maintained between the user and the
    server, therefore there is nothing to monitor. Even sites that seem
    "stateful" really aren't. Using Cookies, Session Variables, Databases,
    etc., are ways to "emulate" a statefull connection by re-identifing a
    user the next time they grap a new page, but they all have weaknesses
    and they only create the "illusion" of being statefull, when in fact a
    statefull connection still does not and has never existed.

    --

    Phillip Windell [CCNA, MVP, MCP]

    WAND-TV (ABC Affiliate)
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Oct 27, 2003

  3. "Phillip Windell" <pwindell{at}wandtv*d0t*com> wrote in message

    >.....proxy server of a NAT based firewall.

    I meant OR not OF.

    Phillip Windell, Oct 27, 2003