Traditional ASP

Michael Rempel

I have a site developed in traditional ASP that need significant work.

I got a copy of VS2005 because I was told it supported traditional ASP, but
I am having a good deal of trouble setting it up to debug .asp files

Any suggestions? (other than moving it to dot net)

Thanks,

Michael

Mark Rae [MVP]

What kind of trouble exactly? I've never had any issues debugging classic
ASP
in Visual Studio. Can you provide some specifics?

Isn't there a checkbox in IIS that needs to be checked for the virtual
directory in question...?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Are you developing and debugging on your local machine or attempting to
debug on another server? If locally, you should not have any issues. If
across the network, you have to have the debugger bits installed and enabled
on the server. NOTE, however, that this is a very bad practice.

Michael Rempel

I just installed VS2005 and I am clueless about what is next. I just pointed
VS at my web page and was poking around trying to get it to debug. It says
in the local server that VS starts, that the ASP extension is disabled. I
did RTM but have not found where this stuff is. IIS is running on the
server, so I could connect to it but I don't know how to set it up. The docs
could be clearer. Microsoft cant write manuals.

This website was originally done by a guy using notepad so there are no
existing VS files.

TIA
Michael

Guest

I just installed VS2005 and I am clueless about what is next. I just pointed
VS at my web page and was poking around trying to get it to debug. It says
in the local server that VS starts, that the ASP extension is disabled. I
did RTM but have not found where this stuff is. IIS is running on the
server, so I could connect to it but I don't know how to set it up. The docs
could be clearer. Microsoft cant write manuals.

This website was originally done by a guy using notepad so there are no
existing VS files.

TIA
Michael

Hi Michael, look at this
http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2005/06/24/432308.aspx

Michael Rempel

One more question. All my ASP searches bring up dot net stuff. I am looking
for an ASP calendar control that is simple to use.
TIA
Michael