I took several months break from it.
The traffic seems down.
Is this a summertime lull?

Knute Johnson

I'm recently back to clj*.
I took several months break from it.
The traffic seems down.
Is this a summertime lull?

It's been slow but I think that has been true for months. Either nobody
is doing any programming, or they've gotten so good at it that they
don't ask questions any more, or they've stopped teaching Java in
school. Or...

Wojtek

Peter Duniho wrote :
As others have noted, Usenet in general is suffering a decline.

This has been especially true since about a year ago, when Microsoft decided
to abandon them in favor of the MSDN forums, and their close relationship
with the Stack Overflow web site. While Java is not a technology Microsoft
cares much about, since Stack Overflow does in fact carry a fair amount of
Java-related traffic, their promotion of that web site has the side-effect of
also shifting traffic from this newsgroup to there.

Traffic has been declining even before that, so one can't blame the entire
phenomenon on Microsoft, but their policies certainly had a hand in
accelerating the process over the last year or so.

I haven't looked to see if there's been a similar decline across other
non-tech newsgroups. It's entirely possible that similar factors are causing
a decline across the board.

Pete

I know of at least two ISPs which are not carrying any newsgroups at
all anymore, they have discontinued NNTP.

So now I am using a newsgroup service which I must pay for. Some people
might not want to pay...

Knute Johnson

Peter Duniho wrote :

I know of at least two ISPs which are not carrying any newsgroups at all
anymore, they have discontinued NNTP.

So now I am using a newsgroup service which I must pay for. Some people
might not want to pay...

I've had to pay for several years now. My ISP used to provide it free
but turns out, only me and one other guys used it. He's a small town
operation though.

Gene Wirchenko

Peter Duniho wrote :
[snip]
I haven't looked to see if there's been a similar decline across other
non-tech newsgroups. It's entirely possible that similar factors are causing
a decline across the board.
I know of at least two ISPs which are not carrying any newsgroups at
all anymore, they have discontinued NNTP.

Mine has as well. Ten years ago, the local ISP where I was
living had only two of us who used USENET.
So now I am using a newsgroup service which I must pay for. Some people
might not want to pay...

I now use eternal-september.org. It is free. It does not have
binaries, but since I do not need them, ES works great for me.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Michael Wojcik

Yes. Many groups experience a drop in traffic during the summer,
especially the first half.
I think USENET is finally being
killed off by forums and social media.

This has been predicted for fifteen years or so. I don't see any
evidence it's happening now. If Usenet spam couldn't do it, and AOL's
Eternal September couldn't do it, and Google Groups couldn't do it, I
suspect Usenet will be around for a good while longer.

There are many "surely doomed" Internet forums that are still going
strong, against the expectation of those who like to prophesize. I
subscribe to a number of email lists (some even served by venerable
LISTSERV) that are still active, as are many Yahoo Groups.

Roedy Green

I'm recently back to clj*.
I took several months break from it.
The traffic seems down.
Is this a summertime lull?

Questions seems to be getting plenty of responses, however there are
fewer questions. One factor would be when schools get a summer
recess.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Arne Vajhøj

I've had to pay for several years now. My ISP used to provide it free
but turns out, only me and one other guys used it. He's a small town
operation though.

That is a world wide phenomenon.

But there are several free NNTP servers if one does
not want to pay.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

I'm recently back to clj*.
I took several months break from it.
The traffic seems down.
Is this a summertime lull?

I doubt it.

But activity fluctuate a bit over time (the generel
trend for usenet is ofcourse down).

Arne

Knute Johnson

That is a world wide phenomenon.

But there are several free NNTP servers if one does
not want to pay.

Arne

Yes, somebody earlier mentioned Eternal September and that's what I'm
using now. It's fine, I don't need to be looking at binaries
(anymore)((or at all probably)) :).

EricF

I doubt it.

But activity fluctuate a bit over time (the generel
trend for usenet is ofcourse down).

Arne
Even when there was a lot of usenet traffic, I thought it trended down in the
summer. Fewer college students.

Eric