    I took several months break from it.
    The traffic seems down.
    Is this a summertime lull?
    Jeff Higgins, Jun 21, 2011

  2. Jeff Higgins

    Lew Bloch Guest

    Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > I'm recently back to clj*.
    > I took several months break from it.
    > The traffic seems down.
    > Is this a summertime lull?

    Time will tell.

    --
    Lew
    Lew Bloch, Jun 21, 2011

  3. Jeff Higgins

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 06/21/2011 02:56 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > I'm recently back to clj*.
    > I took several months break from it.
    > The traffic seems down.
    > Is this a summertime lull?

    About cljp from Google Groups
    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/about?hl=en>
    Jeff Higgins, Jun 21, 2011
  4. On 06/21/2011 11:56 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > I'm recently back to clj*.
    > I took several months break from it.
    > The traffic seems down.
    > Is this a summertime lull?

    It's been slow but I think that has been true for months. Either nobody
    is doing any programming, or they've gotten so good at it that they
    don't ask questions any more, or they've stopped teaching Java in
    school. Or...

    --

    Knute Johnson
    s/knute/nospam/
    Knute Johnson, Jun 21, 2011
  5. On 6/21/2011 1:03 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > On 06/21/2011 02:56 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >> I'm recently back to clj*.
    >> I took several months break from it.
    >> The traffic seems down.
    >> Is this a summertime lull?
    >>

    > About cljp from Google Groups
    > <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/about?hl=en>

    I wonder what those numbers look like after spam is extracted. Although
    it doesn't feel like there's a lot less traffic, the server I'm on
    filters out spam, so it may be that the spam/noise ratio has gone down.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Jun 22, 2011
  6. Jeff Higgins

    Wojtek Guest

    Peter Duniho wrote :
    > On 6/21/11 11:56 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >> I'm recently back to clj*.
    >> I took several months break from it.
    >> The traffic seems down.
    >> Is this a summertime lull?

    > As others have noted, Usenet in general is suffering a decline.
    >
    > This has been especially true since about a year ago, when Microsoft decided
    > to abandon them in favor of the MSDN forums, and their close relationship
    > with the Stack Overflow web site. While Java is not a technology Microsoft
    > cares much about, since Stack Overflow does in fact carry a fair amount of
    > Java-related traffic, their promotion of that web site has the side-effect of
    > also shifting traffic from this newsgroup to there.
    >
    > Traffic has been declining even before that, so one can't blame the entire
    > phenomenon on Microsoft, but their policies certainly had a hand in
    > accelerating the process over the last year or so.
    >
    > I haven't looked to see if there's been a similar decline across other
    > non-tech newsgroups. It's entirely possible that similar factors are causing
    > a decline across the board.
    >
    > Pete

    I know of at least two ISPs which are not carrying any newsgroups at
    all anymore, they have discontinued NNTP.

    So now I am using a newsgroup service which I must pay for. Some people
    might not want to pay...

    --
    Wojtek :)
    Wojtek, Jun 22, 2011
  7. On 06/22/2011 03:32 PM, Wojtek wrote:
    > Peter Duniho wrote :
    >> On 6/21/11 11:56 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >>> I'm recently back to clj*.
    >>> I took several months break from it.
    >>> The traffic seems down.
    >>> Is this a summertime lull?

    >> As others have noted, Usenet in general is suffering a decline.
    >>
    >> This has been especially true since about a year ago, when Microsoft
    >> decided to abandon them in favor of the MSDN forums, and their close
    >> relationship with the Stack Overflow web site. While Java is not a
    >> technology Microsoft cares much about, since Stack Overflow does in
    >> fact carry a fair amount of Java-related traffic, their promotion of
    >> that web site has the side-effect of also shifting traffic from this
    >> newsgroup to there.
    >>
    >> Traffic has been declining even before that, so one can't blame the
    >> entire phenomenon on Microsoft, but their policies certainly had a
    >> hand in accelerating the process over the last year or so.
    >>
    >> I haven't looked to see if there's been a similar decline across other
    >> non-tech newsgroups. It's entirely possible that similar factors are
    >> causing a decline across the board.
    >>
    >> Pete

    > I know of at least two ISPs which are not carrying any newsgroups at all
    > anymore, they have discontinued NNTP.
    >
    > So now I am using a newsgroup service which I must pay for. Some people
    > might not want to pay...

    I've had to pay for several years now. My ISP used to provide it free
    but turns out, only me and one other guys used it. He's a small town
    operation though.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    s/knute/nospam/
    Knute Johnson, Jun 22, 2011
  8. On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:32:00 -0700, Wojtek <> wrote:

    >Peter Duniho wrote :

    [snip]

    >> I haven't looked to see if there's been a similar decline across other
    >> non-tech newsgroups. It's entirely possible that similar factors are causing
    >> a decline across the board.

    >I know of at least two ISPs which are not carrying any newsgroups at
    >all anymore, they have discontinued NNTP.

    Mine has as well. Ten years ago, the local ISP where I was
    living had only two of us who used USENET.

    >So now I am using a newsgroup service which I must pay for. Some people
    >might not want to pay...

    I now use eternal-september.org. It is free. It does not have
    binaries, but since I do not need them, ES works great for me.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
    Gene Wirchenko, Jun 23, 2011
  9. bugbear wrote:
    > Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >> I'm recently back to clj*.
    >> I took several months break from it.
    >> The traffic seems down.
    >> Is this a summertime lull?

    Yes. Many groups experience a drop in traffic during the summer,
    especially the first half.

    > I think USENET is finally being
    > killed off by forums and social media.

    This has been predicted for fifteen years or so. I don't see any
    evidence it's happening now. If Usenet spam couldn't do it, and AOL's
    Eternal September couldn't do it, and Google Groups couldn't do it, I
    suspect Usenet will be around for a good while longer.

    There are many "surely doomed" Internet forums that are still going
    strong, against the expectation of those who like to prophesize. I
    subscribe to a number of email lists (some even served by venerable
    LISTSERV) that are still active, as are many Yahoo Groups.

    --
    Michael Wojcik
    Micro Focus
    Michael Wojcik, Jun 23, 2011
  10. Jeff Higgins

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:56:46 -0400, Jeff Higgins
    said :

    >I'm recently back to clj*.
    >I took several months break from it.
    >The traffic seems down.
    >Is this a summertime lull?

    Questions seems to be getting plenty of responses, however there are
    fewer questions. One factor would be when schools get a summer
    recess.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2011
  11. Jeff Higgins

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 6/22/2011 6:56 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
    > On 06/22/2011 03:32 PM, Wojtek wrote:
    >> I know of at least two ISPs which are not carrying any newsgroups at all
    >> anymore, they have discontinued NNTP.
    >>
    >> So now I am using a newsgroup service which I must pay for. Some people
    >> might not want to pay...

    > I've had to pay for several years now. My ISP used to provide it free
    > but turns out, only me and one other guys used it. He's a small town
    > operation though.

    That is a world wide phenomenon.

    But there are several free NNTP servers if one does
    not want to pay.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 24, 2011
  12. Jeff Higgins

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 6/21/2011 2:56 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > I'm recently back to clj*.
    > I took several months break from it.
    > The traffic seems down.
    > Is this a summertime lull?

    I doubt it.

    But activity fluctuate a bit over time (the generel
    trend for usenet is ofcourse down).

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 24, 2011
  13. On 7/23/2011 6:40 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > On 6/22/2011 6:56 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
    >> On 06/22/2011 03:32 PM, Wojtek wrote:
    >>> I know of at least two ISPs which are not carrying any newsgroups at all
    >>> anymore, they have discontinued NNTP.
    >>>
    >>> So now I am using a newsgroup service which I must pay for. Some people
    >>> might not want to pay...

    >> I've had to pay for several years now. My ISP used to provide it free
    >> but turns out, only me and one other guys used it. He's a small town
    >> operation though.

    > That is a world wide phenomenon.
    >
    > But there are several free NNTP servers if one does
    > not want to pay.
    >
    > Arne

    Yes, somebody earlier mentioned Eternal September and that's what I'm
    using now. It's fine, I don't need to be looking at binaries
    (anymore)((or at all probably)) :).

    --

    Knute Johnson
    Knute Johnson, Jul 24, 2011
  14. Jeff Higgins

    EricF Guest

    In article <4e2b78a8$0$313$>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= <> wrote:
    >On 6/21/2011 2:56 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >> I'm recently back to clj*.
    >> I took several months break from it.
    >> The traffic seems down.
    >> Is this a summertime lull?

    >I doubt it.
    >
    >But activity fluctuate a bit over time (the generel
    >trend for usenet is ofcourse down).
    >
    >Arne

    Even when there was a lot of usenet traffic, I thought it trended down in the
    summer. Fewer college students.

    Eric
    EricF, Jul 25, 2011