Tragic loss of the "embed" tag

Jason Gogela

Salutations,
I was wondering why I get an error using the "embed" property in asp.NET
when inserting Flash into my project. Though the page renders fine using it,
I bothers me deeply that the use of said tag returns an error in the code
view. Is there a replacement for this? I haven't been able to find anything
on the subject. Macromedia says to go with the embed flow, and related
forums have returned "fuggetabboutit." I was wondeing if anyone in this
community could expand on that or offer an alternate solution or refrance.
Thank you...

~Jason Gogela

Andrew Robinson

The <embed> tag is not support under xhtml. Try setting your Target Schema
to "IE 6".

Bottom line, this really doesn't have anything to do with Visual Studio, bur
rather W3C.

PL

It has absolutely nothing to do with ASP.NET, it has to do with webstandards.

Not sure what you are using but in Visual Studio 2005 you can change what
standard it should use when parsing your pages, you do that under
Options > Text Editor > HTML > Validation

Do you really need to support so old browsers that don't understand the
object tag syntax for inserting flash ?

PL.

Kevin Spencer

This is just validation against the current W3C CTD for XHTML. You can
safely ignore it. However, be aware that IE 7 may not support it, as most
browsers will not continue to for long. It is not part of the standard.

It is important to note that DTDs are not "the Internet Police." They are
there for you, for your help. Whatever is still supported in your target
browsers will work, as long as it continues to be supported. In other words,
pay attention, understand what it means, bot don't consider it an
imperative.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer