training?

Bob

Good writings - but trust me, seriously foreign to COBOL programmers.
Take a look at their syntax and "programmer's terminology". It's a
very different world.
By the way, setting X-No-Archive is a good way to find your way into
killfiles.

But not yours, thankfully, since you seem to know a lot about Perl!
I use it to avoid some of the great archives of the world. I'm not
fond of global databases. I have to be honest that this is the first
group where anyone has ever drawn attention to it. But, perhaps I can
set up another inplementation without that feature turned on.

Bob

John Bokma

[ X-Archive-No ]
But not yours, thankfully, since you seem to know a lot about Perl!
I use it to avoid some of the great archives of the world.

You can't, for several reasons:

{1} - people quote part of your message, and sometimes all of it
{2} - there are several sites that do archive messages, but ignore
the XAN header, since the reason for archiving is to spam (or "spam")
the search engines. Those pages end up in archives/databases.
{3} - people who read your message download it, and sometimes it's stored
in an archive on their computer
I'm not
fond of global databases. I have to be honest that this is the first
group where anyone has ever drawn attention to it. But, perhaps I can
set up another inplementation without that feature turned on.

Just don't use it, it doesn't do what you expect from it, and it annoys
people since you "destroy" Usenet.

axel

Good writings - but trust me, seriously foreign to COBOL programmers.
Take a look at their syntax and "programmer's terminology". It's a
very different world.

Odd. Although I learnt Basic as my first programming language (on
a teletype terminal). I also learnt Algol 60 and Cobol... unless
Cobol has changed radically, a Cobol programmer who cannot manage
Perl is, to be blunt, as thick as three short planks.

Axel

A. Sinan Unur

Good writings - but trust me, seriously foreign to COBOL programmers.
Take a look at their syntax and "programmer's terminology". It's a
very different world.

It is not *their* syntax. It is Perl syntax. Everything is explained in
painstaking detail. If one cannot learn Perl unless Perl is identical to
COBOL, I do not see the value of learning Perl.
But not yours, thankfully, since you seem to know a lot about Perl!

Thanks for the compliment, but it is irrelevant.
I use it to avoid some of the great archives of the world.

You really can't avoid all the archives.
I have to be honest that this is the first
group where anyone has ever drawn attention to it.

In theory, every post and response not only provide a benefit to the
original poster, but to others who might have similar questions in the
future. We take this positive externality seriously here.

Sinan