  1. focode

    focode Guest

    i want to get expert in swing which best book i should follow

    focode, Mar 20, 2007

  2. On Mar 20, 9:02 pm, "focode" <> wrote:
    > i want to get expert in swing which best book i should follow

    (See Alex' advice on using '?' Further tips
    are - to always have the word 'I' as Upper Case,
    as well as the first word of any sentence.)

    OK, firstly, it is important to understand
    that to learn Swing, you will still need a
    good understanding of a lot of the AWT, which
    includes most layouts, events, custom painting,
    Drag'n'Drop (and much more..).

    Books will often mention Swing in the title,
    but also cover most of those parts of the AWT.
    Check the book does cover (at least) those
    parts of the AWT mentioned.

    Secondly, there is the very highly recommended
    'Java Tutorial' direct from Sun - comprehensive,
    and *free*. It can be viewed online, or you
    can download it for local browsing.

    Third, if you really prefer books (as some
    people do) I recommend this site for reviews
    of books.
    http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html
    Pan (TechBookReport) gives enough details so you
    can usually decide if a book is good for you.

    Lastly, it helps, when asking for help, to
    give a 'meaningful subject line' to a post
    (a message to the group). For this one,
    I might recommend something like 'Books
    on Swing', which gives a lot better detail
    that 'training'.

    HTH

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 20, 2007

  3. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 9:02 pm, "focode" <> wrote:
    >> i want to get expert in swing which best book i should follow

    > (See Alex' advice on using '?' Further tips
    > are - to always have the word 'I' as Upper Case,
    > as well as the first word of any sentence.)
    >
    > OK, firstly, it is important to understand
    > that to learn Swing, you will still need a
    > good understanding of a lot of the AWT, which
    > includes most layouts, events, custom painting,
    > Drag'n'Drop (and much more..).
    >
    > Books will often mention Swing in the title,
    > but also cover most of those parts of the AWT.
    > Check the book does cover (at least) those
    > parts of the AWT mentioned.
    >
    > Secondly, there is the very highly recommended
    > 'Java Tutorial' direct from Sun - comprehensive,
    > and *free*. It can be viewed online, or you
    > can download it for local browsing.
    >
    > Third, if you really prefer books (as some
    > people do) I recommend this site for reviews
    > of books.
    > http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html
    > Pan (TechBookReport) gives enough details so you
    > can usually decide if a book is good for you.
    >
    > Lastly, it helps, when asking for help, to
    > give a 'meaningful subject line' to a post
    > (a message to the group). For this one,
    > I might recommend something like 'Books
    > on Swing', which gives a lot better detail
    > that 'training'.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Thanks for the mention, Andrew. I'd follow up by saying that the Sun
    Java tutorial (or other single volume introductory Java book), with
    something like Swing Hacks (http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0185.html).
    It's written by real experts in the field, and is structured around
    concrete examples with sample code for download and review.

    Pan

    --
    TechBookReport Java http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

    TechBookReport, Mar 20, 2007