Tranformation time

Tomislav Jakopec

Hi to all!

I have one (or more) problem. I set up a system to provide web access
to legacy application. Legacy application run at RISC mashine, web
server is tomcat an linux. Response time is very bad (1000 - 3000 ms).
First, I think it is RISC fault, but after few test I found out that
RISC time (invoke method) id app. 300 ms and tranformation time (XML ->
XSL) is app 700 - 3000 ms. Linux Mashine is CELERON 1,3 MHz with 512 MB
RAM. Parser is XERCES. All my software effords to lower that time is
failure (put XSL in to web app context, RAM DISK, ..). Will better
hardware help? Will another parser help? Witch one? What am I missing?

TNX!

Nick Kew

Tomislav said:
Hi to all!

I have one (or more) problem. I set up a system to provide web
access to legacy application. Legacy application run at RISC mashine,
web server is tomcat an linux.

* Put Apache in front of tomcat. Preferably httpd-2.1.
* Use mod_transform on Apache for XSLT - faster parser.
* Pre-compile and cache your stylesheets at server startup to
reduce per-hit runtime.
* Use mod_cache (but only if you're using Apache 2.1).