    I have been trying to do this all day and no matter what I do it shows on my
    page as white.

    If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

    NEWS, Dec 15, 2005

  2. NEWS

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, NEWS
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?

    No. JPEGs don't support transparency.

    > If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

    PNG

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

    Mark Parnell, Dec 15, 2005

  3. NEWS wrote:

    > Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a
    > jpg?

    No. The filetype doesn't support it.

    > If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

    PNG, GIF. (IE is shaky over alpha transparency with PNGs, I believe it is OK
    with binary transparency)

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Dec 15, 2005
  4. NEWS

    saz Guest

    In article <_umof.2263$lv3.960@clgrps12>, says...
    > Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?
    > I have been trying to do this all day and no matter what I do it shows on my
    > page as white.
    >
    > If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

    It has to be a gif.

    saz, Dec 15, 2005
  5. NEWS

    saz Guest

    In article <>, saz1958
    @nospammersexcite.com says...
    > In article <_umof.2263$lv3.960@clgrps12>, says...
    > > Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?
    > > I have been trying to do this all day and no matter what I do it shows on my
    > > page as white.
    > >
    > > If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?
    > >

    > It has to be a gif.

    or a png

    saz, Dec 15, 2005
  6. NEWS

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "NEWS" <>

    > Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?
    > I have been trying to do this all day and no matter what I do it shows on my
    > page as white.
    >
    > If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

    If you want to use a jpg, I often do, make the background of the
    jpg itself the same colour as the body of the html (or vice
    versa of course). Depends on the pic, how successful you are. If
    you make it up say from a psd in layers, then just ensure the
    bottom bg layer is a colour you want the body to be too...
    before flattening and jpging... This is "fake transparency"

    The white that is showing is - apart from other things -
    because you have not prepared the bg to the pic, it defaults to
    white. There is no real transparency in jpg...

    GIF is a format to use for transparency (also PNG but there are
    conditions...)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 15, 2005
  7. NEWS

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > GIF is a format to use for transparency (also PNG but there are
    > conditions...)

    Such as?

    I know IE doesn't support alpha transparency in PNGs, but GIFs don't
    support alpha transparency anyway, so you haven't lost anything there.

    Mark Parnell, Dec 15, 2005
  8. NEWS

    NEWS Guest

    THANK YOU ALL

    I tried .png it would not work, then I tried .gif it would not work. I am
    using Paint Shop Pro X and Fireworks MX neither would get the job done. So I
    tried MS Photo Editor and when I saved it as .png it still showed a white BG
    but the .gif saved as a TRANSPARENT BG

    Thanks to all who offered help

    NEWS, Dec 16, 2005
  9. NEWS

    NEWS Guest

    What is Alpha Transparency. I see it in Fireworks

    Also

    What is Index Transparency?

    NEWS, Dec 16, 2005
  10. NEWS

    NEWS Guest

    Could not get .png to work no matter how hard I tried.

    ..gif did work though

    NEWS, Dec 16, 2005
  11. NEWS

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, NEWS
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > What is Alpha Transparency.

    Alpha transparency effectively means variable transparency - you can
    make something 20% transparent, or 50%.

    > What is Index Transparency?

    That's basically non-alpha transparency. :) One colour (or colours) are
    set as transparent. But they are either transparent or not - no
    in-betweens.

    Mark Parnell, Dec 16, 2005
  12. NEWS

    Vhit Guest

    Re: THANK YOU ALL

    <alt.html , NEWS , >
    <uznof.2609$lv3.207@clgrps12>
    <Fri, 16 Dec 2005 00:07:54 GMT>

    > I tried .png it would not work, then I tried .gif it would not work. I am
    > using Paint Shop Pro X and Fireworks MX neither would get the job done.

    In paint shop pro .

    - file
    - export
    - gif

    Like anything else its easy when you know how :)

    --
    www.vhit.co.uk
    www.vhit.co.uk/?poll=1000015

    Vhit, Dec 16, 2005
  13. Re: THANK YOU ALL

    NEWS wrote:

    > I tried .png it would not work, then I tried .gif it would not
    > work. I am using Paint Shop Pro X and Fireworks MX neither would
    > get the job done. So I tried MS Photo Editor and when I saved it
    > as .png it still showed a white BG but the .gif saved as a
    > TRANSPARENT BG

    You need some practice with your graphics programs. Read their
    help modules. I'm using an OLD version of PaintShopPro (5.01,
    from 1998), and even *that* relic does transparency. It's not
    like they would have dropped that capability.

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/transtest.html

    What do you see there?

    Look at the source; look at the image; there's no red in the image
    -- it's black on transparent. (If you're not seeing a red page
    bg, you're overriding it locally with your browser settings.)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 16, 2005
  14. NEWS

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: THANK YOU ALL

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the Shark
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > You need some practice with your graphics programs.

    Indeed.

    > I'm using an OLD version of PaintShopPro (5.01,
    > from 1998), and even *that* relic does transparency.

    Ditto for Fireworks (though admittedly not quite as old as your PSP) -
    I'm using Fireworks 4 (circa 2000) and can do transparency on GIFs and
    PNGs.

    > It's not like they would have dropped that capability.

    Maybe they've just made the programs so complicated that it's hard to
    find the relevant functions. :)

    Mark Parnell, Dec 16, 2005
  15. Re: THANK YOU ALL

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the
    > Shark <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    >> You need some practice with your graphics programs.

    > Indeed.
    >
    >> I'm using an OLD version of PaintShopPro (5.01, from 1998),
    >> and even *that* relic does transparency.

    > Ditto for Fireworks (though admittedly not quite as old as your
    > PSP) - I'm using Fireworks 4 (circa 2000) and can do
    > transparency on GIFs and PNGs.
    >
    >> It's not like they would have dropped that capability.

    > Maybe they've just made the programs so complicated that it's
    > hard to find the relevant functions. :)

    Nah. Compared to The GIMP (a couple-years-old version), it's this
    old 1998 PaintShopPro release that's unintuitive. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 16, 2005
  16. NEWS

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: THANK YOU ALL

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the Shark
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Nah. Compared to The GIMP (a couple-years-old version), it's this
    > old 1998 PaintShopPro release that's unintuitive. :)

    I've always found it difficult to find things in The GIMP, though I'm
    getting more used to it now.

    Mark Parnell, Dec 16, 2005
  17. Re: THANK YOU ALL

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the
    > Shark <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    >> Nah. Compared to The GIMP (a couple-years-old version), it's
    >> this old 1998 PaintShopPro release that's unintuitive. :)

    > I've always found it difficult to find things in The GIMP,
    > though I'm getting more used to it now.

    The interface takes a bit of getting used to. But by now it's
    pretty much second nature to me. It'll come to you.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 16, 2005
  18. NEWS

    Toby Inkster Guest

    David Dorward wrote:

    > PNG, GIF. (IE is shaky over alpha transparency with PNGs, I believe it
    > is OK with binary transparency)

    Recent versions of IE (5.5+) offer the same level of support for
    transparent PNGs as they do for transparent GIFs: binary transparancy on
    256-colour images.

    So using a GIF over PNG "because of IE support" (which I know you're not
    suggesting, but I'm sure someone will) is silly.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 16, 2005
  19. NEWS

    NEWS Guest

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, NEWS
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    >> What is Alpha Transparency.

    > Alpha transparency effectively means variable transparency - you can
    > make something 20% transparent, or 50%.
    >
    >> What is Index Transparency?

    > That's basically non-alpha transparency. :) One colour (or colours) are
    > set as transparent. But they are either transparent or not - no
    > in-betweens.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Parnell

    Oh, so that is how they do the translucent look for certain things. Thanks

    NEWS, Dec 16, 2005
  20. NEWS

    JDS Guest

    Re: THANK YOU ALL

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:34:03 +1100, Mark Parnell wrote:

    > I've always found it difficult to find things in The GIMP, though I'm
    > getting more used to it now.

    GIMP 2 has *vastly* improved its UI over GIMP 1. Actually, everything has
    been improved in GIMP2. (not sure which version you are using)

    And once again, GIMP 2.2 has added many imporvements over 2.0

    --
    JDS | lid

    JDS, Dec 16, 2005