Tranparency

NEWS

Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?
I have been trying to do this all day and no matter what I do it shows on my
page as white.

If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, NEWS
Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?

No. JPEGs don't support transparency.
If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

PNG

David Dorward

NEWS said:
Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a
jpg?

No. The filetype doesn't support it.
If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

PNG, GIF. (IE is shaky over alpha transparency with PNGs, I believe it is OK
with binary transparency)

saz

Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?
I have been trying to do this all day and no matter what I do it shows on my
page as white.

If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

It has to be a gif.

dorayme

From: "NEWS said:
Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?
I have been trying to do this all day and no matter what I do it shows on my
page as white.

If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?
If you want to use a jpg, I often do, make the background of the
jpg itself the same colour as the body of the html (or vice
versa of course). Depends on the pic, how successful you are. If
you make it up say from a psd in layers, then just ensure the
bottom bg layer is a colour you want the body to be too...
before flattening and jpging... This is "fake transparency"

The white that is showing is - apart from other things -
because you have not prepared the bg to the pic, it defaults to
white. There is no real transparency in jpg...

GIF is a format to use for transparency (also PNG but there are
conditions...)

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
GIF is a format to use for transparency (also PNG but there are
conditions...)

Such as?

I know IE doesn't support alpha transparency in PNGs, but GIFs don't
support alpha transparency anyway, so you haven't lost anything there.

NEWS

I tried .png it would not work, then I tried .gif it would not work. I am
using Paint Shop Pro X and Fireworks MX neither would get the job done. So I
tried MS Photo Editor and when I saved it as .png it still showed a white BG
but the .gif saved as a TRANSPARENT BG

Thanks to all who offered help

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, NEWS
What is Alpha Transparency.

Alpha transparency effectively means variable transparency - you can
make something 20% transparent, or 50%.
What is Index Transparency?

That's basically non-alpha transparency. :) One colour (or colours) are
set as transparent. But they are either transparent or not - no
in-betweens.

Vhit

<alt.html , NEWS , (e-mail address removed)>
<uznof.2609$lv3.207@clgrps12>
I tried .png it would not work, then I tried .gif it would not work. I am
using Paint Shop Pro X and Fireworks MX neither would get the job done.

In paint shop pro .

- file
- export
- gif

Like anything else its easy when you know how :)

Blinky the Shark

NEWS said:
I tried .png it would not work, then I tried .gif it would not
work. I am using Paint Shop Pro X and Fireworks MX neither would
get the job done. So I tried MS Photo Editor and when I saved it
as .png it still showed a white BG but the .gif saved as a
TRANSPARENT BG

You need some practice with your graphics programs. Read their
help modules. I'm using an OLD version of PaintShopPro (5.01,
from 1998), and even *that* relic does transparency. It's not
like they would have dropped that capability.

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/transtest.html

What do you see there?

Look at the source; look at the image; there's no red in the image
-- it's black on transparent. (If you're not seeing a red page
bg, you're overriding it locally with your browser settings.)

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the Shark
You need some practice with your graphics programs.
Indeed.

I'm using an OLD version of PaintShopPro (5.01,
from 1998), and even *that* relic does transparency.

Ditto for Fireworks (though admittedly not quite as old as your PSP) -
I'm using Fireworks 4 (circa 2000) and can do transparency on GIFs and
PNGs.
It's not like they would have dropped that capability.

Maybe they've just made the programs so complicated that it's hard to
find the relevant functions. :)

Blinky the Shark

Mark said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the

Ditto for Fireworks (though admittedly not quite as old as your
PSP) - I'm using Fireworks 4 (circa 2000) and can do
transparency on GIFs and PNGs.

Maybe they've just made the programs so complicated that it's
hard to find the relevant functions. :)

Nah. Compared to The GIMP (a couple-years-old version), it's this
old 1998 PaintShopPro release that's unintuitive. :)

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the Shark
Nah. Compared to The GIMP (a couple-years-old version), it's this
old 1998 PaintShopPro release that's unintuitive. :)

I've always found it difficult to find things in The GIMP, though I'm
getting more used to it now.

Blinky the Shark

Mark said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the

I've always found it difficult to find things in The GIMP,
though I'm getting more used to it now.

The interface takes a bit of getting used to. But by now it's
pretty much second nature to me. It'll come to you.

Toby Inkster

David said:
PNG, GIF. (IE is shaky over alpha transparency with PNGs, I believe it
is OK with binary transparency)

Recent versions of IE (5.5+) offer the same level of support for
transparent PNGs as they do for transparent GIFs: binary transparancy on
256-colour images.

So using a GIF over PNG "because of IE support" (which I know you're not
suggesting, but I'm sure someone will) is silly.

NEWS

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, NEWS

Alpha transparency effectively means variable transparency - you can
make something 20% transparent, or 50%.

That's basically non-alpha transparency. :) One colour (or colours) are
set as transparent. But they are either transparent or not - no
in-betweens.

Oh, so that is how they do the translucent look for certain things. Thanks

JDS

I've always found it difficult to find things in The GIMP, though I'm
getting more used to it now.

GIMP 2 has *vastly* improved its UI over GIMP 1. Actually, everything has
been improved in GIMP2. (not sure which version you are using)

And once again, GIMP 2.2 has added many imporvements over 2.0