Transfer large Files to server

Weston Weems

I've got the simple problem where I'd like to transfer
somewhat large files to my webserver via
http/webservice/something like that.

My question is what kinda limits have people been able to
hit? Is 500mb unreasonable or not. Client doesnt have to
be a typical webbrowser, so I could theoretically chunk it
up and send chunks to the server, when completed, re-
assemble and write file etc.

Has anyone faced this dilemna, and if so were they able to
come to any sort of conclusion?

I am limited to port 80 for the most part to get around
the firewall, and I know they run a webserver on that, so
I assume it'll have to be a webservice or something.

Anyway thank you verymuch

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Weston,

For something like that, I'd go with BITS. It handles large files without
dragging down the server.

"Background Intelligent Transfer Service Version 1.5 (Server Component)
BITS Server is an ISAPI extension to IIS that allows background uploads from
BITS Client computers to a server running the BITS Server component.

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is a Windows component that
asynchronously transfers files in the foreground or background, throttles
the transfers to preserve the responsiveness of other network applications,
and will automatically resume file transfers when a computer is restarted
and a network connection is re-established.

BITS Client can download files from any HTTP/1.1 compliant server. However,
to upload files to a server, the BITS 1.5 Server component must be installed
on the server.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-be86-4cd6-891c-ec8241611ad4&displaylang=en

Weston Weems

not a real bad idea at all. The only unfortunate thing is
the server is going to be xsp/mod_mono on linux.

If bits is standardized, or something where I can
implement some protocol that sounds great. Otherwise I
think I'd be pretty much outta luck.

Again requirements areL

port 443/80, secure would be better. Needs run along side,
or in conjunction with mod_mono / xsp.

(on a side not, it seems like *MOST* of the apps I try
work the same on xsp as they do on MS/IIS)

Thanks in advance.
Weston Weems

WJ

Weston Weems said:
not a real bad idea at all. The only unfortunate thing is
the server is going to be xsp/mod_mono on linux.
This is MS site only. Don't you have Linux NG out there for "open source" ?
Otherwise I think I'd be pretty much outta luck.
Yep, open source has its caveat! But you can always switch to Windows

John