Transfer large Files to server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Weston Weems, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. Weston Weems

    Weston Weems Guest

    I've got the simple problem where I'd like to transfer
    somewhat large files to my webserver via
    http/webservice/something like that.

    My question is what kinda limits have people been able to
    hit? Is 500mb unreasonable or not. Client doesnt have to
    be a typical webbrowser, so I could theoretically chunk it
    up and send chunks to the server, when completed, re-
    assemble and write file etc.

    Has anyone faced this dilemna, and if so were they able to
    come to any sort of conclusion?

    I am limited to port 80 for the most part to get around
    the firewall, and I know they run a webserver on that, so
    I assume it'll have to be a webservice or something.

    Anyway thank you verymuch

    Weston Weems, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Hi Weston,

    For something like that, I'd go with BITS. It handles large files without
    dragging down the server.

    "Background Intelligent Transfer Service Version 1.5 (Server Component)
    BITS Server is an ISAPI extension to IIS that allows background uploads from
    BITS Client computers to a server running the BITS Server component.

    Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is a Windows component that
    asynchronously transfers files in the foreground or background, throttles
    the transfers to preserve the responsiveness of other network applications,
    and will automatically resume file transfers when a computer is restarted
    and a network connection is re-established.

    BITS Client can download files from any HTTP/1.1 compliant server. However,
    to upload files to a server, the BITS 1.5 Server component must be installed
    on the server.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-be86-4cd6-891c-ec8241611ad4&displaylang=en

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jan 21, 2005

  3. Weston Weems

    Weston Weems Guest

    not a real bad idea at all. The only unfortunate thing is
    the server is going to be xsp/mod_mono on linux.

    If bits is standardized, or something where I can
    implement some protocol that sounds great. Otherwise I
    think I'd be pretty much outta luck.

    Again requirements areL

    port 443/80, secure would be better. Needs run along side,
    or in conjunction with mod_mono / xsp.

    (on a side not, it seems like *MOST* of the apps I try
    work the same on xsp as they do on MS/IIS)

    Thanks in advance.
    Weston Weems

    FamilyID=17967848-be86-4cd6-891c-

    Weston Weems, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Oops. Didn't know about the Mono part. Gonna be harder...

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jan 21, 2005
  5. Weston Weems

    WJ Guest

    "Weston Weems" <> wrote in message
    > not a real bad idea at all. The only unfortunate thing is
    > the server is going to be xsp/mod_mono on linux.

    This is MS site only. Don't you have Linux NG out there for "open source" ?

    > Otherwise I think I'd be pretty much outta luck.

    Yep, open source has its caveat! But you can always switch to Windows

    John

    WJ, Jan 23, 2005