Transfer thru WS-tier causes object property to be lost

Jesper Lund Stocholm

I have suddenly experienced some problems with transferring data through
a WS-tier. A brief discussion is this:

We have an application (.Net 1.1-app converted to .Net 3.5) that sends an
object to a WS-tier. The object is a "plain" object with a number of
properties. One of those is a DateTime-wrapper. Parts of the code is
this:

public partial class OuterObject
{
private int _yearField;
private clsDateTime _currentDate;
}

[Serializable]
public partial class claDateTime
{
private DateTime _now;
public DateTime CurrentDate
{
get {return m_now;}
set {m_now= value;}
}
}

The problem we see is that the value for "_currentDate" is lost when the
object reaches the WS-tier. We have created a SoapExtension on the WS-
tier to enable us to capture the incoming message both at
"BeforeSerialization" and "AfterSerialization" and we have confirmed that
the value is not there.

My question is: We created a SoapExtension to be able to capture the
incoming message - but how do we do it on the "sending side" to see the
outcoing message? Is there a class/method we can extend to be able to see
the content of the SOAP-message just before it leaves the application in
the WS-request?

Thank you,

:eek:)

John Saunders

The same SoapExtension should allow you to see the output as well.

Are you sending the OuterObject? None of that would serialize, as only
public, read-write properties will serialize without extra help.