Transferring Student Data Securely Between Servers

Jim Bayers

We have a read only connection to the remote campus sql server. For
security reasons, my network nazi won't let me have a web server on our
local server that has this connection. Fine. He want's to isolate our
server with the connection to the remote server from the outside world.

----------------------
| Campus server |
----------------------

----------------------
| Secure server |
----------------------

----------------------
| Public web server |
----------------------

So the public queries the public server and the secure server acts as a
go between between the public server and the campus sql server. The
public sees the report web page.

What's the best way to do this? I was thinking I could put a web server
on the secure server and have it query the campus server and return xml
to the public web server. But the network nazi won't let me run a
webserver on the secure server.

bruce barker

we need to know what the programming enviroment on the secure server is to
answer the question. (o/s and what types of applications are supported)

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| We have a read only connection to the remote campus sql server. For
| security reasons, my network nazi won't let me have a web server on our
| local server that has this connection. Fine. He want's to isolate our
| server with the connection to the remote server from the outside world.
|
| ----------------------
| | Campus server |
| ----------------------
| |
| ----------------------
| | Secure server |
| ----------------------
| |
| ----------------------
| | Public web server |
| ----------------------
|
| So the public queries the public server and the secure server acts as a
| go between between the public server and the campus sql server. The
| public sees the report web page.
|
| What's the best way to do this? I was thinking I could put a web server
| on the secure server and have it query the campus server and return xml
| to the public web server. But the network nazi won't let me run a
| webserver on the secure server.

Jim Bayers

It's windows 2003 with sql server 2000. All three are in fact. I run
IIS 6 on the public server. I use asp.net but can use wsh/vbscript.
The web applications, mostly reports, will run on the public server and
query the campus server through the secure server.

Yama

Does the Secure Server have a SQL Database?

Why not create a DSN pointing to Campus.
In Public connect to DSN.

Can you tell me what is available in Secure server? How about the Campus?
Does the requirements require you to use XML?
Did you build a web service in the Campus server?

You could build a Web service that GETS data from Secure Server.
Now you can invoke the web service from Public and use the data to load your
reports.

Easy!

Yama

Jim Bayers

Yes, secure will communicate with campus via ipsec or something like it.
The big problem is getting the response from public to secure and the
data back from secure to public. xml is not a requirement.

Yama

So like I mentionned earlier why not create somethnig between the Campus and
Secure then use Public to talk with Campus.