    it stopped dragging div element in Firefox only (IE7 is fine). Who can
    explain? What doctype to use for AJAX website?
    , Apr 2, 2007

    On Apr 2, 12:12 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > said the following on 4/2/2007 10:35 AM:
    >
    > > Hm... I used to have a function which drags some div element on
    > > mousemove. After I added:

    > > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://
    > >www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

    > Why are you telling IE to use a document type that it doesn't have a
    > clue what it is?
    >
    > > it stopped dragging div element in Firefox only (IE7 is fine).

    > Only because IE is in quirks mode.
    >
    > > Who can explain? What doctype to use for AJAX website?

    > It has nothing to do with "AJAX". It has to do with the document itself
    > and the browser. Use HTML4.01 Strict.
    >
    > --
    > Randy
    > Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    I tried, but only /loose.dtd seems to work. WHy?
    , Apr 2, 2007

    On Apr 2, 6:08 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > said the following on 4/2/2007 2:51 PM:

    > >> Why are you telling IE to use a document type that it doesn't have a
    > >> clue what it is?

    > >> Only because IE is in quirks mode.

    > >> It has nothing to do with "AJAX". It has to do with the document itself
    > >> and the browser. Use HTML4.01 Strict.

    > > I tried, but only /loose.dtd seems to work. WHy?

    > My stereo doesn't work when I push that button. Why?
    >
    > My point being, you can't diagnose what you can't see. There is probably
    > something in the page that changes when you put the browser in strict
    > mode that causes it to fail. Without seeing the code it is impossible to
    > answer you.
    >
    > How can you recognize a Google Groups poster without looking at the Headers?
    >
    > --
    > Randy
    > Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    I understand. What is the advantage of using doctypes, anyway? If this
    gives me so much problems, should I not use it at all?
    , Apr 3, 2007
  4. Dylan Parry Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:

    > How can you recognize a Google Groups poster without looking at the Headers?

    In my case it shows a little icon next to the subject line, that tells
    me what the poster's user agent was. No real point in it tbh though :)

    --
    Dylan Parry

    The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
    those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.
    Dylan Parry, Apr 3, 2007

    On Apr 3, 10:23 am, Dylan Parry <> wrote:
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    > > How can you recognize a Google Groups poster without looking at the Headers?

    > In my case it shows a little icon next to the subject line, that tells
    > me what the poster's user agent was. No real point in it tbh though :)
    >
    > --
    > Dylan Parryhttp://electricfreedom.org|http://webpageworkshop.co.uk
    >
    > The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
    > those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

    If "loose" doctype fixes my Firefox dragging functionality, then it
    removes CSS transparency of the element. I seem to have no ideal
    doctype for my webpage. Suggestions?
    , Apr 3, 2007
  6. Dylan Parry Guest

    wrote:

    > If "loose" doctype fixes my Firefox dragging functionality, then it
    > removes CSS transparency of the element. I seem to have no ideal
    > doctype for my webpage. Suggestions?

    URL? My crystal ball is at the cleaners.

    Dylan Parry, Apr 3, 2007
  7. -Lost Guest

    Re: Transitional Doctype Takes Some JavaScript Functionality Away! OT: Thunderbird.

    "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >
    >> How can you recognize a Google Groups poster without looking at the Headers?

    > In my case it shows a little icon next to the subject line, that tells
    > me what the poster's user agent was. No real point in it tbh though :)

    Hey, do you know offhand if Thunderbird can bring older posts to the forefront?

    For example, I recently responded to a post that I made several months ago. Does
    Thunderbird possess any sorting method by which to show that post like "recent post?"

    Otherwise, in Outlook Express I have to look back through the archive it makes and view a
    post on December of 2006.

    Make sense?

    Here's hoping you know (because I do not want to register at mozillaZine).

    -Lost
    -Lost, Apr 4, 2007
  8. Re: Transitional Doctype Takes Some JavaScript Functionality Away! OT: Thunderbird.

    On Apr 3, 8:51 pm, "-Lost" <> wrote:
    > Hey, do you know offhand if Thunderbird can bring older posts to the forefront?
    >
    > For example, I recently responded to a post that I made several months ago. Does
    > Thunderbird possess any sorting method by which to show that post like "recent post?"

    Yes:View-Sort-Date

    if you want OE like sorting then use View-Sort-Order Received

    > Here's hoping you know (because I do not want to register at mozillaZine).

    ????

    use free [ news.mozilla.org > mozilla.support.thunderbird ]
    scripts.contact, Apr 4, 2007
  9. -Lost Guest

    "scripts.contact" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 3, 8:51 pm, "-Lost" <> wrote:
    >> Hey, do you know offhand if Thunderbird can bring older posts to the forefront?
    >>
    >> For example, I recently responded to a post that I made several months ago. Does
    >> Thunderbird possess any sorting method by which to show that post like "recent post?"

    > Yes:View-Sort-Date
    >
    > if you want OE like sorting then use View-Sort-Order Received
    >
    >> Here's hoping you know (because I do not want to register at mozillaZine).

    > ????
    >
    > use free [ news.mozilla.org > mozilla.support.thunderbird ]

    Rock on. Thanks scripts.

    -Lost
    -Lost, Apr 4, 2007
  10. Ian Collins Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > scripts.contact said the following on 4/3/2007 11:07 PM:
    >
    >> On Apr 3, 8:51 pm, "-Lost" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hey, do you know offhand if Thunderbird can bring older posts to the
    >>> forefront?
    >>>
    >>> For example, I recently responded to a post that I made several
    >>> months ago. Does
    >>> Thunderbird possess any sorting method by which to show that post
    >>> like "recent post?"

    >> Yes:View-Sort-Date

    > Speaking of Thunderbird, a while back I installed some off the wall
    > fringe browser that made itself the default browser. When clicking a URL
    > in Thunderbird it would open it in that browser (I don't even remember
    > what browser it was). After un-installing the browser, whenever I click
    > a URL now, it will open IE but then IE hangs forever. It won't open the
    > URL. Any idea on how to make it start working again short of
    > reinstalling Thunderbird?

    Being windows, you'll probably have to sterilise the PC, reformat the
    hard drive and reinstall :)

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Apr 4, 2007
  11. Re: Transitional Doctype Takes Some JavaScript Functionality Away! OT: Thunderbird.

    On Apr 3, 11:52 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > Speaking of Thunderbird, a while back I installed some off the wall
    > fringe browser that made itself the default browser. When clicking a URL
    > in Thunderbird it would open it in that browser (I don't even remember
    > what browser it was). After un-installing the browser, whenever I click
    > a URL now, it will open IE but then IE hangs forever. It won't open the
    > URL. Any idea on how to make it start working again short of
    > reinstalling Thunderbird?

    Thunderbird uses the windows setting so correct it-

    Go to Control Panel-Folder Options-File types-
    Select "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol"-Click Advanced
    Select Open-Click Edit
    Make sure the path is correct in "Application" box (should be
    [browserpath "%1"] without [] )
    Uncheck use DDE and click ok ok ok
    scripts.contact, Apr 4, 2007