Transitional Doctype Takes Some JavaScript Functionality Away!

vunet.us

Hm... I used to have a function which drags some div element on
mousemove. After I added:

it stopped dragging div element in Firefox only (IE7 is fine). Who can
explain? What doctype to use for AJAX website?

vunet.us

(e-mail address removed) said the following on 4/2/2007 10:35 AM:

Why are you telling IE to use a document type that it doesn't have a
clue what it is?

Only because IE is in quirks mode.

It has nothing to do with "AJAX". It has to do with the document itself
and the browser. Use HTML4.01 Strict.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

I tried, but only /loose.dtd seems to work. WHy?

vunet.us

(e-mail address removed) said the following on 4/2/2007 2:51 PM:

My stereo doesn't work when I push that button. Why?

My point being, you can't diagnose what you can't see. There is probably
something in the page that changes when you put the browser in strict
mode that causes it to fail. Without seeing the code it is impossible to
answer you.

How can you recognize a Google Groups poster without looking at the Headers?

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
comp.lang.javascript FAQ -http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html
Javascript Best Practices -http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/

I understand. What is the advantage of using doctypes, anyway? If this
gives me so much problems, should I not use it at all?

Dylan Parry

Randy said:
How can you recognize a Google Groups poster without looking at the Headers?

In my case it shows a little icon next to the subject line, that tells
me what the poster's user agent was. No real point in it tbh though :)

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

vunet.us

Dylan Parryhttp://electricfreedom.org|http://webpageworkshop.co.uk

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

If "loose" doctype fixes my Firefox dragging functionality, then it
removes CSS transparency of the element. I seem to have no ideal
doctype for my webpage. Suggestions?

-Lost

Dylan Parry said:
In my case it shows a little icon next to the subject line, that tells
me what the poster's user agent was. No real point in it tbh though :)

Hey, do you know offhand if Thunderbird can bring older posts to the forefront?

For example, I recently responded to a post that I made several months ago. Does
Thunderbird possess any sorting method by which to show that post like "recent post?"

Otherwise, in Outlook Express I have to look back through the archive it makes and view a
post on December of 2006.

Make sense?

Here's hoping you know (because I do not want to register at mozillaZine).

-Lost

scripts.contact

Hey, do you know offhand if Thunderbird can bring older posts to the forefront?

For example, I recently responded to a post that I made several months ago. Does
Thunderbird possess any sorting method by which to show that post like "recent post?"

Yes:View-Sort-Date

if you want OE like sorting then use View-Sort-Order Received
Here's hoping you know (because I do not want to register at mozillaZine).
????

use free [ news.mozilla.org > mozilla.support.thunderbird ]

-Lost

scripts.contact said:
Hey, do you know offhand if Thunderbird can bring older posts to the forefront?

For example, I recently responded to a post that I made several months ago. Does
Thunderbird possess any sorting method by which to show that post like "recent post?"

Yes:View-Sort-Date

if you want OE like sorting then use View-Sort-Order Received
Here's hoping you know (because I do not want to register at mozillaZine).
????

use free [ news.mozilla.org > mozilla.support.thunderbird ]

Rock on. Thanks scripts.

-Lost

Ian Collins

Randy said:
scripts.contact said the following on 4/3/2007 11:07 PM:

Speaking of Thunderbird, a while back I installed some off the wall
fringe browser that made itself the default browser. When clicking a URL
in Thunderbird it would open it in that browser (I don't even remember
what browser it was). After un-installing the browser, whenever I click
a URL now, it will open IE but then IE hangs forever. It won't open the
URL. Any idea on how to make it start working again short of
reinstalling Thunderbird?
Being windows, you'll probably have to sterilise the PC, reformat the
hard drive and reinstall :)

scripts.contact

Speaking of Thunderbird, a while back I installed some off the wall
fringe browser that made itself the default browser. When clicking a URL
in Thunderbird it would open it in that browser (I don't even remember
what browser it was). After un-installing the browser, whenever I click
a URL now, it will open IE but then IE hangs forever. It won't open the
URL. Any idea on how to make it start working again short of
reinstalling Thunderbird?

Thunderbird uses the windows setting so correct it-

Go to Control Panel-Folder Options-File types-
Select "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol"-Click Advanced
Select Open-Click Edit
Make sure the path is correct in "Application" box (should be
[browserpath "%1"] without [] )
Uncheck use DDE and click ok ok ok