translating Python to Assembler...sorry if this is duplicated...it's unintentional

over

My expertise, if any, is in assembler. I'm trying to understand Python
scripts and modules by examining them after they have been
disassembled in a Windows environment.

I'm wondering if a Python symbols file is available. In the Windows
environment, a symbol file normally has a PDB extension. It's a little
unfortunate that Python also uses PDB for its debugger. Google, for
whatever reason, wont accept queries with dots, hyphens, etc., in the
query line. For example a Google for "python.pdb" returns +python
+pdb, so I get a ridiculous number of returns referring to the python
debugger. I have mentioned this to Google several times, but I guess
logic isn't one of their strong points. :)

If there's dupicates of this post it's because it wouldn't send for
some reason.

Mike Driscoll

My expertise, if any, is in assembler. I'm trying to understand Python
scripts and modules by examining them after they have been
disassembled in a Windows environment.

I'm wondering if a Python symbols file is available. In the Windows
environment, a symbol file normally has a PDB extension. It's a little
unfortunate that Python also uses PDB for its debugger. Google, for
whatever reason, wont accept queries with dots, hyphens, etc., in the
query line. For example a Google for "python.pdb" returns +python
+pdb, so I get a ridiculous number of returns referring to the python
debugger. I have mentioned this to Google several times, but I guess
logic isn't one of their strong points. :)

If there's dupicates of this post it's because it wouldn't send for
some reason.

I'm not sure what you're talking about...mainly because I'm not sure
what you mean by a "symbols file". But I did some google-fu myself and
found this CookBook entry:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/200638

And this thread seems to be talking about symbol resolution, I think:

http://www.python.org/search/hypermail/python-1994q2/0605.html

And here's some weird site that claims to have a list of inseparable
symbols, whatever that means:

voicecode.iit.nrc.ca/VCodeWiki/public/wiki.cgi?
obj=ListOfUnseparablePythonSymbols

I can't get it to load unless I use Google's cached version though.

Hope that helps and that I'm not too far off the mark!

Mike

GHUM

My expertise, if any, is in assembler. I'm trying to understand Python
scripts and modules by examining them after they have been
disassembled in a Windows environment.

Maybe you could also profit from diassembling Pythons bytecode into
MNEmonics of the Python Virtual Machine ?

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-dis.html

Because "disassembling python scripts" with any other disassembler
will not likely lead to something usefull:

a) the .pyc and pyo files are in Python Bytecode, that is "assembler
for the Python Virtual Machine Processor", disassemble with the
mentioned module

b) python2x.dll is in i386-Assembler, but contains the virtual
machine. Understanding that will you will learn a lot of great
programming concepts from some of the most brilliant minds on this
planet; but will give you no hint to understand Python scripts, as
they are running on top of that VM. Like disassembling the Hybrid
Power Drive of a Lexus GS450h will teach you nothing about navigating
from Berlin to Paris.

Best wishes,

Harald