    If there's dupicates of this post it's because it wouldn't send for
    some reason.
    , Jan 22, 2008

  2. Re: translating Python to Assembler...sorry if this isduplicated...it's unintentional

    On Jan 22, 4:45 pm, wrote:
    > My expertise, if any, is in assembler. I'm trying to understand Python
    > scripts and modules by examining them after they have been
    > disassembled in a Windows environment.
    >
    > I'm wondering if a Python symbols file is available. In the Windows
    > environment, a symbol file normally has a PDB extension. It's a little
    > unfortunate that Python also uses PDB for its debugger. Google, for
    > whatever reason, wont accept queries with dots, hyphens, etc., in the
    > query line. For example a Google for "python.pdb" returns +python
    > +pdb, so I get a ridiculous number of returns referring to the python
    > debugger. I have mentioned this to Google several times, but I guess
    > logic isn't one of their strong points. :)
    >
    > If there's dupicates of this post it's because it wouldn't send for
    > some reason.

    I'm not sure what you're talking about...mainly because I'm not sure
    what you mean by a "symbols file". But I did some google-fu myself and
    found this CookBook entry:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/200638

    And this thread seems to be talking about symbol resolution, I think:

    http://www.python.org/search/hypermail/python-1994q2/0605.html

    And here's some weird site that claims to have a list of inseparable
    symbols, whatever that means:

    voicecode.iit.nrc.ca/VCodeWiki/public/wiki.cgi?
    obj=ListOfUnseparablePythonSymbols

    I can't get it to load unless I use Google's cached version though.

    Hope that helps and that I'm not too far off the mark!

    Mike
    Mike Driscoll, Jan 23, 2008

  3. GHUM Guest

    Re: translating Python to Assembler...sorry if this isduplicated...it's unintentional

    > My expertise, if any, is in assembler. I'm trying to understand Python
    > scripts and modules by examining them after they have been
    > disassembled in a Windows environment.

    Maybe you could also profit from diassembling Pythons bytecode into
    MNEmonics of the Python Virtual Machine ?

    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-dis.html

    Because "disassembling python scripts" with any other disassembler
    will not likely lead to something usefull:

    a) the .pyc and pyo files are in Python Bytecode, that is "assembler
    for the Python Virtual Machine Processor", disassemble with the
    mentioned module

    b) python2x.dll is in i386-Assembler, but contains the virtual
    machine. Understanding that will you will learn a lot of great
    programming concepts from some of the most brilliant minds on this
    planet; but will give you no hint to understand Python scripts, as
    they are running on top of that VM. Like disassembling the Hybrid
    Power Drive of a Lexus GS450h will teach you nothing about navigating
    from Berlin to Paris.

    Best wishes,

    Harald
    GHUM, Jan 23, 2008