Translating XML

Philipp Lenssen

Is there any way to import/ export XML into Word or Excel?

See I want to have XML files translated. Now some translators would say
"We don't do that", so we wrote a nice Web interface to do it. Now some
translators might still say "We only do Word or Excel" (as some parts
may be automated, but you cannot automate it with the Web tool). So how
would one e.g. store hidden tags-information into Word, something which
cannot be seen or edited, and have it be imported back into the XML
source in the end?

Thanks

Martin SChukrazy

Yes there are several tools which allow you to transfer data from excel
(maybe word definitely if you save as a text file) into XML and vice versa.
One such tool is datajunction which allows you to do this.

Martin

Philipp Lenssen

Yes there are several tools which allow you to transfer data from
excel (maybe word definitely if you save as a text file) into XML
and vice versa. One such tool is datajunction which allows you to do
this.

The point is that is should be exported with hidden locked fields, so
that after the translators worked on the Word/ Excel, the import to XML
is trouble-free.

Martin SChukrazy

You want to translate an XML document to text (display on word) and back?
Did i get you correctly? Because if you want to display on word, you would
rather have it on text format...
Actually you can also spit out html to word and then reconverted back to xml
once you are done...
Data Junction may have a word to xml and back translator but for it to work
correctly it should work really efficiently.
Another way you could do this is to have a word macro which loads it from an
xml file and another macro which stores it back to an xml file (that way you
have complete control).
By the way word does display html documents so you can easily convert from
xml to word and back