translucent window

Spitfire

I'm writing an application that sometimes notifies the user of certain
events on the desktop by some pop up msgs. I would also like to have
these pop ups made translucent at user's choice and give user the
control to adjust the transparency. Would such a feature plausible in
Ruby? If so, what is the best way to try this in Ruby?

Phrogz

I'm writing an application that sometimes notifies the user of certain
events on the desktop by some pop up msgs. I would also like to have
these pop ups made translucent at user's choice and give user the
control to adjust the transparency. Would such a feature plausible in
Ruby? If so, what is the best way to try this in Ruby?

Will this be on a single operating system, or multiple?

If it was just going to be on Mac OS, I'd advocate using something
like Growl[1].

If multiple OSs, what you can do will depend on what graphical library
you choose to use. It might surprise (and frustrate) you to know that
there isn't just one way to make a window or dialog using Ruby.

[1] http://growl.info/about.php

Spitfire

Phrogz said:
I'm writing an application that sometimes notifies the user of certain
events on the desktop by some pop up msgs. I would also like to have
these pop ups made translucent at user's choice and give user the
control to adjust the transparency. Would such a feature plausible in
Ruby? If so, what is the best way to try this in Ruby?

Will this be on a single operating system, or multiple?

If it was just going to be on Mac OS, I'd advocate using something
like Growl[1].

If multiple OSs, what you can do will depend on what graphical library
you choose to use. It might surprise (and frustrate) you to know that
there isn't just one way to make a window or dialog using Ruby.

[1] http://growl.info/about.php
It is for a single OS. And most probably might be one of GNU/Linux. Now,
please tell me what I can start with?

Phrogz

Spitfire said:
It is for a single OS. And most probably might be one of GNU/Linux. Now,
please tell me what I can start with?

I don't know much about the various GUI toolkits, but I know that they
are discussed frequently on this list and the web. Here's a few search
results to get you started (I cannot vouch for the veracity or
fairness of the contents of these pages):

http://www.trug.ca/Ruby_GUI_Toolkits

http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/ComparingGuiToolkits/TakeTwo

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bi...ubmit=Search&dbname=ruby-talk&max=50&whence=0