    --------------------------------------
    See the latest Mars and Saturn images
    http://fatcat.homelinux.org

    jafar, Jun 23, 2005

  2. jafar wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I've made some buttons in The Gimp using transparency and saved as .png's.
    > The problem is that in every browser except IE the transparency works
    > fine. In IE the buttons have a white background instead. Is there any way
    > around this?
    > Here's a link to a page that doesn't use bgsound for those that hate it ;)
    > http://moonlife-records.com/samples.html
    > Take a look and help me if you can.
    > Cheers!

    Use GIF. GIF works fine in all browsers. I learnt recently that
    transparent PNGs are not handled nicely by IE (and indeed I observed
    this as well).

    Best

    Animesh Kumar, Jun 23, 2005

  3. jafar

    dorayme Guest

    > From: jafar <>
    > http://moonlife-records.com/samples.html

    Your little browser detection gif is amusing. Nice one. Just a suggestion:
    make it play just once and not loop... the joke won't be any more
    transparent by repetition - there, that brings this remark more onto your
    topic... :)

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 23, 2005
  4. jafar

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, jafar <> said:

    > I've made some buttons in The Gimp using transparency and saved as .png's.
    > The problem is that in every browser except IE the transparency works
    > fine. In IE the buttons have a white background instead. Is there any way
    > around this?

    IE doesn't support alpha transparency in PNGs. There is an MS "filter"
    for it, although it means your pages won't validate.

    http://tinyurl.com/7c89g
    http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/filter/reference/filters/alphaimageloader.asp

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jun 24, 2005
  5. Animesh Kumar wrote:
    > Use GIF. GIF works fine in all browsers. I learnt recently that
    > transparent PNGs are not handled nicely by IE (and indeed I observed
    > this as well).

    Binary PNG transparency works just fine in IE. It's just translucency, a
    feature that GIF doesn't have, that doesn't work right in IE.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jun 24, 2005
  6. Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Animesh Kumar wrote:
    >
    >>Use GIF. GIF works fine in all browsers. I learnt recently that
    >>transparent PNGs are not handled nicely by IE (and indeed I observed
    >>this as well).

    > Binary PNG transparency works just fine in IE. It's just translucency, a
    > feature that GIF doesn't have, that doesn't work right in IE.

    Interesting. I had some problems with transparency in a png file as
    well. I made background transparent with GIMP if that is an issue.

    Best

    Animesh Kumar, Jun 24, 2005
  7. jafar

    windandwaves Guest

    jafar wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I've made some buttons in The Gimp using transparency and saved as
    > .png's.

    I only ever use GIFS and JPEGS in any of my sites because

    a. they are usually smaller than PNGs
    b. they are supported by all browsers

    Use Gifs when you have images that need to be clearcut and have limited
    number of colours (i.e. writing, words, letters, buttons, borders,
    background-colors, etc...) and use JPEG for any photographic type material
    (lots of colours).

    I am sure you know this, but just in case you wondered, that is what works
    best for me.

    Images are the most important items (apart from music, videos, etc...) in
    terms of size, so you can save a lot by paying close attention to choosing
    the right image. In general, I found PNGs to be larger than GIFs or JPEGs.

    Cheers

    - Nicolaas

    windandwaves, Jun 24, 2005
  8. jafar

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, windandwaves <> said:

    > I only ever use GIFS and JPEGS in any of my sites because
    >
    > a. they are usually smaller than PNGs

    Examples? I'm sure someone here can manage to get your GIFs (and
    possibly some JPEGs) smaller by making them PNGs, without any loss of
    quality.

    > b. they are supported by all browsers

    So are PNGs, except for alpha transparency, which isn't even possible in
    GIFs or JPEGs. So this point is moot.

    > In general, I found PNGs to be larger than GIFs or JPEGs.

    In most cases that means either your image editor isn't very good at
    compressing PNGs, or you're not selecting the right options.

    Mark Parnell, Jun 24, 2005
  9. jafar

    jafar Guest

    Thanks for your replies. I guess IE isn't standard enough? ;)
    Is it a good idea to offer the MS patch on my homepage?

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Producer - http://moonlife-records.com

    jafar, Jun 24, 2005
  10. jafar

    jafar Guest

    Oops. Just looked at Mark's link. It's something I actually have to put in
    my page. I think I'll just leave it so my page is standard and wait for MS
    to fix it.

    jafar, Jun 24, 2005
  11. jafar

    Dirk Guest

    jafar schrieb:
    > I've made some buttons in The Gimp using transparency and saved as .png's.
    > The problem is that in every browser except IE the transparency works
    > fine. In IE the buttons have a white background instead. Is there any way
    > around this?

    Reduce the number of colors! IE only can handle 8bit transparent gifs. I
    think your png's have 24bit depth.

    Dirk

    Dirk, Jun 24, 2005
  12. jafar

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed

    > I only ever use GIFS and JPEGS in any of my sites because
    >
    > a. they are usually smaller than PNGs
    > b. they are supported by all browsers

    Also, girls might think it's an abbreviation for pregnant.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jun 25, 2005
  13. Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed

    >> I only ever use GIFS and JPEGS in any of my sites because

    >> a. they are usually smaller than PNGs
    >> b. they are supported by all browsers

    > Also, girls might think it's an abbreviation for pregnant.

    It would be a pretty poor abbreviation, since there's no "n" between
    the "p" and the "g" in "pregnant.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 25, 2005
  14. jafar

    Dennis Guest

    On 24 Jun 2005 Blinky the Shark wrote in alt.html

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed

    >>> I only ever use GIFS and JPEGS in any of my sites because

    >>> a. they are usually smaller than PNGs
    >>> b. they are supported by all browsers

    >> Also, girls might think it's an abbreviation for pregnant.

    > It would be a pretty poor abbreviation, since there's no "n" between
    > the "p" and the "g" in "pregnant.

    Obviously with a name like Neredbojias he can just stick in any letter any
    place he wants.

    --
    Dennis

    Dennis, Jun 25, 2005
  15. Dennis wrote:

    > On 24 Jun 2005 Blinky the Shark wrote in alt.html

    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed

    >>> Also, girls might think it's an abbreviation for pregnant.

    >> It would be a pretty poor abbreviation, since there's no "n" between
    >> the "p" and the "g" in "pregnant.

    > Obviously with a name like Neredbojias he can just stick in any letter any
    > place he wants.

    I withdraw my comment. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 25, 2005
  16. jafar

    Dennis Guest

    On 24 Jun 2005 Blinky the Shark wrote in alt.html

    >>> It would be a pretty poor abbreviation, since there's no "n" between
    >>> the "p" and the "g" in "pregnant.

    >> Obviously with a name like Neredbojias he can just stick in any letter
    >> any place he wants.

    > I withdraw my comment. :)

    Ok. The Nerd... is a interesting guy to have around in spite of his name. Now
    if brucie would reapear.

    --
    Dennis

    Dennis, Jun 25, 2005
  17. Dennis wrote:

    > On 24 Jun 2005 Blinky the Shark wrote in alt.html

    >>> Obviously with a name like Neredbojias he can just stick in any letter
    >>> any place he wants.

    >> I withdraw my comment. :)

    But, it gets better...

    > Ok. The Nerd... is a interesting guy to have around in spite of his name. Now
    > if brucie would reapear.

    ^^^^^^^

    Hah! *You* don't get to just make up words. ;)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 25, 2005
  18. jafar

    Dennis Guest

    On 25 Jun 2005 Blinky the Shark wrote in alt.html

    >> Ok. The Nerd... is a interesting guy to have around in spite of his
    >> name. Now if brucie would reapear.

    > ^^^^^^^
    >
    > Hah! *You* don't get to just make up words. ;)

    Hah! just did.

    --
    Dennis

    Dennis, Jun 25, 2005
  19. Dennis wrote:

    > On 25 Jun 2005 Blinky the Shark wrote in alt.html

    >>> Ok. The Nerd... is a interesting guy to have around in spite of his
    >>> name. Now if brucie would reapear.

    >> ^^^^^^^

    >> Hah! *You* don't get to just make up words. ;)

    > Hah! just did.

    Where?

    --
    Blinky
    International Thank Your Developers Week - June 20-27, 2005

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 25, 2005
  20. Dennis wrote:

    > On 25 Jun 2005 Blinky the Shark wrote in alt.html

    >>> Ok. The Nerd... is a interesting guy to have around in spite of his
    >>> name. Now if brucie would reapear.

    >> ^^^^^^^

    >> Hah! *You* don't get to just make up words. ;)

    > Hah! just did.

    Second Response: Ignore first response; I misread your reply, despite
    it only being three words long. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 25, 2005