Transparency

dorayme

From: Blinky the Shark <[email protected]>

A friend reckons he found a story (which he emailed to me) about a prof
filling up jars in a demo to students of some sound philosophy about life on
your website. It was a very nice story.

dorayme

Els

dorayme said:
Yes, I understand what you are saying. Depends on the case. In my case it is
convenient to be on dial up all day, have the mobile for incoming and use
email and text messaging online and the occasional call by leaving dialup
(at 22c a pop and 100 free calls, it is very little). And I don't eat
take-away - I like living on this earth and want to be around.

Hey, about neighbours: may I share with you the intense irritation at the
fellow opposite me. He was not happy with even his 1.5 MB ADSL. When he was
away I had to help his dad do something and I downloaded Firefox in a
minute or two or three (imagine that after being on dialup). O No! This
connection was not goddamn good enough for the son, he announced to me he
had a new connection now, something slightly more fancy than adsl (still on
copper tho) and now has 5 or 10 times faster without the former pesky 10GB
download limit. Yeah well! I have thought of two possibilities to deal with
this situation, both probably illegal. (1) Buying him a wireless router and
taking some of his bandwidth. (2) Killing him outright and suddenly. I
really would hate to do latter as he is quite a nice chap.

Why not (3) Paying him a bit every month, provide the wireless, and
share his bandwidth?
(might still be illegal, but then you're stealing from the ISP, not
the neighbour)

Edwin van der Vaart

Blinky said:
Edwin said:
Blinky said:
Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
Blinky the Shark wrote:
Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
Blinky the Shark wrote:
[snip]
Someone else will have that information or product. If
a site would rather show me Flash than give me the information I want
or sell me the product I want, I'll find someone else.

Flash?? You mean Flesh.

Nah. For flesh, I'll wait.

In that case.
http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/flesh.jpg [67.1k]

Mmmmm. Just in time for our July national holiday.

I did saw the movie "The Independance day".

This's over done.

Meant for its humor value.
I meant the flag is over done :-D
It's a shame -- she's got a cute face.
http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/warmfuzz.gif

dorayme

From: Els said:
dorayme wrote:

Why not (3) Paying him a bit every month, provide the wireless, and
share his bandwidth?
(might still be illegal, but then you're stealing from the ISP, not
the neighbour)

I sort of lean towards (2), because (a) I might as well be hung for a sheep
as a lamb, (b) going along with it is slightly undignified, he would be my
feudal lord in control of my supply, he is a kid. (c) he is clever and could
tap into my secret and astonishing communications. On the other hand he is
(d) a nice kid but (b) a huge kid, able to crush me with one hand, almost
accidentally. Ah, maybe I will just forget about it, exult in the strength
of making do with less. Less is more...

dorayme

(btw, for one brief moment in time (a day I recall), I had a more modern
mobile than this neighbour)

Els

dorayme said:
I sort of lean towards (2), because (a) I might as well be hung for a sheep
as a lamb, (b) going along with it is slightly undignified, he would be my
feudal lord in control of my supply, he is a kid. (c) he is clever and could
tap into my secret and astonishing communications. On the other hand he is
(d) a nice kid but (b) a huge kid, able to crush me with one hand, almost
accidentally.

Sounds like (2) isn't an option because of (e)(which you accidentally
named (b)) and possibly (d). (c) is indeed a good reason to think
twice about (3), but (b) is just plain arrogant :p
Ah, maybe I will just forget about it, exult in the strength
of making do with less.

Makes sense :)
Less is more...

Tell that to the person who can't get a reasonable download speed on
his Internet connection.

Oh, wait - that's you ;-)
(btw, for one brief moment in time (a day I recall), I had a more modern
mobile than this neighbour)

Cherish the memory <g>

dorayme

From: Els said:
Sounds like (2) isn't an option because of (e)(which you accidentally
named (b)) and possibly (d). (c) is indeed a good reason to think
twice about (3), but (b) is just plain arrogant :p
Yes, you are right. Luckily, he takes it in good humour when I tell him such
things. One good reason to be very careful about breaking the law is that I
might be investigated by someone with as good a set of forensic skills as
you Els! What letter of the alphabet would this reason be, e, f or are we
onto a further sub category, (i) ...

:)

dorayme

Els

dorayme said:
Yes, you are right. Luckily, he takes it in good humour when I tell him such
things. One good reason to be very careful about breaking the law is that I
might be investigated by someone with as good a set of forensic skills as
you Els! What letter of the alphabet would this reason be, e, f or are we
onto a further sub category, (i) ...

:)

My forensic skills are limited to watching British detectives on TV
;-)