    the page not transparent.

    Anybody help?

    Stuart

    STUART ESSOM, Jun 29, 2006

  2. STUART ESSOM

    David Guest

    STUART ESSOM wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > im trying to make various images on my page transparent.
    >
    > Im using the htm:
    > style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "
    >
    > I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images on
    > the page not transparent.
    >
    > Anybody help?
    >
    > Stuart

    Use a graphic program to make them transparent??

    David, Jun 29, 2006

  3. STUART ESSOM

    JDS Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:11:20 +0000, STUART ESSOM wrote:

    > style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "

    Warning warning! Using single-browser code!

    Transparency is one area where the browsers have not quite all caught up
    to the (available, standards-based) ways of doing things.

    What effect are you trying to acheive? Describe in words, without
    technical (i.e.[1] specific code) details. Then maybe someone here can
    help you figure it out.

    Not me though! I hate[2] transparency, and I think it creates more
    problems than it is worth.

    There are a number of ways to split this cat, but "filter:alpha()" is not
    it, IMO.

    [1]ha! no pun intended.
    [2] Actually, I think transparency is really neat. I just think it has no
    place in GUIs, menus, web pages, etc. It is okay as a transitional effect,
    or as an artistic effect, though.

    --
    JDS |

    JDS, Jun 30, 2006
  4. STUART ESSOM

    dorayme Guest

    In article <YlXog.239509$>,
    "STUART ESSOM" <> wrote:

    > I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images on
    > the page not transparent.

    You want to see through a background image? What will you see?
    Your cat behind the monitor?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 30, 2006
  5. STUART ESSOM

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    STUART ESSOM wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > im trying to make various images on my page transparent.
    >
    > Im using the htm:
    > style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "
    >
    > I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images on
    > the page not transparent.

    I am not exactly sure what you want to do, but the code you use mainly
    works on IE browsers and close relatives and not most other recent
    browsers. It is possible to create some transparency effects that work
    on most recent browsers by using javascript to write the css code to
    draw vertical and/or horizontal grids of very fine lines that can be
    colored, if desired. It is also possible to vary the color along the
    grid lines to give a color gradient, if desired. For an example, see
    http://www.cwdjr.info/dhtml/7veilsDance3.html . This page also has
    sound if you have the WMP installed. In case you are on low speed
    dialup, you may have to let the page play through and cache before the
    dialup connection can keep up with it. This page was designed more as a
    media toy than a general web page, so I was mainly concerned with
    broadband response. The music files likely are the main thing that
    would slow it down on dialup.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 30, 2006
  6. STUART ESSOM

    STUART ESSOM Guest

    "JDS" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:11:20 +0000, STUART ESSOM wrote:
    >
    > > style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "

    > Warning warning! Using single-browser code!
    >
    > Transparency is one area where the browsers have not quite all caught up
    > to the (available, standards-based) ways of doing things.
    >
    > What effect are you trying to acheive? Describe in words, without
    > technical (i.e.[1] specific code) details. Then maybe someone here can
    > help you figure it out.

    Thanks for the warning :)

    I actually got this piece of code from www.dynamicdrive.com which I find is
    always usual for things like this. :)

    "JDS" <> wrote in message

    > What effect are you trying to acheive? Describe in words, without
    > technical (i.e.[1] specific code) details. Then maybe someone here can
    > help you figure it out.

    Yes, I should have been more specific.

    The page i am dealing with is actually a 'floating frame' and I want the
    background image to be transparent so that you can see the background image
    of its parent page behind it.

    Then i need others images on the page to be transparent (to a different
    degree) so that you see both backgrounds behind them!!!

    Confused!!!! :)))

    I guess what is want it type of a layer thing going on!

    Please help somebody. :))

    Stuart

    STUART ESSOM, Jun 30, 2006
  7. STUART ESSOM

    STUART ESSOM Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <YlXog.239509$>,
    > "STUART ESSOM" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images

    on
    > > the page not transparent.

    > You want to see through a background image? What will you see?
    > Your cat behind the monitor?
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Its actually the page that forms a floating table.... so there IS something
    to see behind it.... the background of its parent page.

    But yes, my cat dose sleep behind my moniter. :) I'll have to stop her from
    doing that. Im sure it's not safe. :))

    STUART ESSOM, Jun 30, 2006
  8. STUART ESSOM

    STUART ESSOM Guest

    "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    > STUART ESSOM wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > im trying to make various images on my page transparent.
    > >
    > > Im using the htm:
    > > style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "
    > >
    > > I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images

    on
    > > the page not transparent.

    > I am not exactly sure what you want to do, but the code you use mainly
    > works on IE browsers and close relatives and not most other recent
    > browsers. It is possible to create some transparency effects that work
    > on most recent browsers by using javascript to write the css code to
    > draw vertical and/or horizontal grids of very fine lines that can be
    > colored, if desired. It is also possible to vary the color along the
    > grid lines to give a color gradient, if desired. For an example, see
    > http://www.cwdjr.info/dhtml/7veilsDance3.html .

    Hey, thanks. That page looks great. And i have broadband so i got the whole
    effect. :)

    Not sure that it can help me in what im trying to do though.

    STUART ESSOM, Jun 30, 2006
  9. STUART ESSOM

    dorayme Guest

    In article <uY6pg.247910$>,
    "STUART ESSOM" <> wrote:

    > Its actually the page that forms a floating table.... so there IS something
    > to see behind it.... the background of its parent page.
    >
    > But yes, my cat dose sleep behind my moniter. :) I'll have to stop her from
    > doing that. Im sure it's not safe. :))

    I caught my cat on top of the CRT once and I had to put wire
    there to deter her... I didn't want her hairs or worse [1]
    falling thru the top grill... But I understood, it was nice and
    warm...

    Look, why not just set the background to things other than the
    HTML or body to transparent and use transparent gifs.. they work
    well enough....

    -----------
    [1] What is worse, I hear you ask? Vomiting up usually because of
    a fur ball...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 30, 2006
  10. STUART ESSOM wrote:

    > Its actually the page that forms a floating table.... so there IS something
    > to see behind it.... the background of its parent page.

    What do you mean by a "page that forms a floating table" and "parent page"?

    Harlan Messinger, Jun 30, 2006
  11. STUART ESSOM

    JDS Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:20:32 +0000, STUART ESSOM wrote:

    > Thanks for the warning :)
    >
    > I actually got this piece of code from www.dynamicdrive.com which I find is
    > always usual for things like this. :)
    >
    > "JDS" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> What effect are you trying to acheive? Describe in words, without
    >> technical (i.e.[1] specific code) details. Then maybe someone here can
    >> help you figure it out.

    > Yes, I should have been more specific.
    >
    > The page i am dealing with is actually a 'floating frame' and I want the
    > background image to be transparent so that you can see the background image
    > of its parent page behind it.
    >
    > Then i need others images on the page to be transparent (to a different
    > degree) so that you see both backgrounds behind them!!!
    >
    > Confused!!!! :)))
    >
    > I guess what is want it type of a layer thing going on!
    >
    > Please help somebody. :))
    >
    > Stuart

    DynamicDrive has good scripts and it has bad. It is hard to tell which is
    which, though, and for what reasons, by the relative newb.

    My question is *WHY* do you want this transparent image floating over
    another transparent image?

    Also, can you do a mock up in, say, photoshop, (and post it to the web
    somewhere) so we can see what you mean?

    later...

    --
    JDS