Transparent images!

STUART ESSOM

Hi

im trying to make various images on my page transparent.

Im using the htm:
style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "

I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images on
the page not transparent.

Anybody help?

Stuart

David

STUART said:
Hi

im trying to make various images on my page transparent.

Im using the htm:
style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "

I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images on
the page not transparent.

Anybody help?

Stuart

Use a graphic program to make them transparent??

JDS

style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "

Warning warning! Using single-browser code!

Transparency is one area where the browsers have not quite all caught up
to the (available, standards-based) ways of doing things.

What effect are you trying to acheive? Describe in words, without
technical (i.e.[1] specific code) details. Then maybe someone here can
help you figure it out.

Not me though! I hate[2] transparency, and I think it creates more
problems than it is worth.

There are a number of ways to split this cat, but "filter:alpha()" is not
it, IMO.

[1]ha! no pun intended.
[2] Actually, I think transparency is really neat. I just think it has no
place in GUIs, menus, web pages, etc. It is okay as a transitional effect,
or as an artistic effect, though.

dorayme

STUART ESSOM said:
I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images on
the page not transparent.

You want to see through a background image? What will you see?
Your cat behind the monitor?

cwdjrxyz

STUART said:
Hi

im trying to make various images on my page transparent.

Im using the htm:
style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "

I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images on
the page not transparent.

I am not exactly sure what you want to do, but the code you use mainly
works on IE browsers and close relatives and not most other recent
browsers. It is possible to create some transparency effects that work
on most recent browsers by using javascript to write the css code to
draw vertical and/or horizontal grids of very fine lines that can be
colored, if desired. It is also possible to vary the color along the
grid lines to give a color gradient, if desired. For an example, see
http://www.cwdjr.info/dhtml/7veilsDance3.html . This page also has
sound if you have the WMP installed. In case you are on low speed
dialup, you may have to let the page play through and cache before the
dialup connection can keep up with it. This page was designed more as a
media toy than a general web page, so I was mainly concerned with
broadband response. The music files likely are the main thing that
would slow it down on dialup.

STUART ESSOM

JDS said:
style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "

Warning warning! Using single-browser code!

Transparency is one area where the browsers have not quite all caught up
to the (available, standards-based) ways of doing things.

What effect are you trying to acheive? Describe in words, without
technical (i.e.[1] specific code) details. Then maybe someone here can
help you figure it out.

Thanks for the warning :)

I actually got this piece of code from www.dynamicdrive.com which I find is
always usual for things like this. :)

What effect are you trying to acheive? Describe in words, without
technical (i.e.[1] specific code) details. Then maybe someone here can
help you figure it out.

Yes, I should have been more specific.

The page i am dealing with is actually a 'floating frame' and I want the
background image to be transparent so that you can see the background image
of its parent page behind it.

Then i need others images on the page to be transparent (to a different
degree) so that you see both backgrounds behind them!!!

Confused!!!! :)))

I guess what is want it type of a layer thing going on!

Please help somebody. :))

Stuart

STUART ESSOM

dorayme said:
You want to see through a background image? What will you see?
Your cat behind the monitor?

Its actually the page that forms a floating table.... so there IS something
to see behind it.... the background of its parent page.

But yes, my cat dose sleep behind my moniter. :) I'll have to stop her from
doing that. Im sure it's not safe. :))

STUART ESSOM

cwdjrxyz said:
I am not exactly sure what you want to do, but the code you use mainly
works on IE browsers and close relatives and not most other recent
browsers. It is possible to create some transparency effects that work
on most recent browsers by using javascript to write the css code to
draw vertical and/or horizontal grids of very fine lines that can be
colored, if desired. It is also possible to vary the color along the
grid lines to give a color gradient, if desired. For an example, see
http://www.cwdjr.info/dhtml/7veilsDance3.html .

Hey, thanks. That page looks great. And i have broadband so i got the whole
effect. :)

Not sure that it can help me in what im trying to do though.

dorayme

STUART ESSOM said:
Its actually the page that forms a floating table.... so there IS something
to see behind it.... the background of its parent page.

But yes, my cat dose sleep behind my moniter. :) I'll have to stop her from
doing that. Im sure it's not safe. :))

I caught my cat on top of the CRT once and I had to put wire
there to deter her... I didn't want her hairs or worse [1]
falling thru the top grill... But I understood, it was nice and
warm...

Look, why not just set the background to things other than the
HTML or body to transparent and use transparent gifs.. they work
well enough....

Harlan Messinger

STUART said:
Its actually the page that forms a floating table.... so there IS something
to see behind it.... the background of its parent page.

What do you mean by a "page that forms a floating table" and "parent page"?

JDS

Thanks for the warning :)

I actually got this piece of code from www.dynamicdrive.com which I find is
always usual for things like this. :)

What effect are you trying to acheive? Describe in words, without
technical (i.e.[1] specific code) details. Then maybe someone here can
help you figure it out.

Yes, I should have been more specific.

The page i am dealing with is actually a 'floating frame' and I want the
background image to be transparent so that you can see the background image
of its parent page behind it.

Then i need others images on the page to be transparent (to a different
degree) so that you see both backgrounds behind them!!!

Confused!!!! :)))

I guess what is want it type of a layer thing going on!

Please help somebody. :))

Stuart

DynamicDrive has good scripts and it has bad. It is hard to tell which is
which, though, and for what reasons, by the relative newb.

My question is *WHY* do you want this transparent image floating over
another transparent image?

Also, can you do a mock up in, say, photoshop, (and post it to the web
somewhere) so we can see what you mean?

later...