    with the single colored background that has been converted into
    transparent png image files, into a movie that has transparency...

    any ideas?

    tiewknvc9, May 9, 2006

  2. tiewknvc9

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "tiewknvc9" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a way to convert a series of transparent pngs to a movie
    > without losing the transparency?
    >
    > JMF does not seem like an option, as it does not support pngs,
    >
    > I tried to use the quicktime api, but I dont think that quicktime
    > supports transparency (am I wrong???) The transparent part of the
    > image appear black...
    >
    > But now Im a bit lost, as I would desperately like to create a movie
    > with the single colored background that has been converted into
    > transparent png image files, into a movie that has transparency...

    You would first have to find a movie file format which supports
    transparency. If QuickTime doesn't support it, then don't use QuickTime. I'm
    actually not aware of any file formats that support transparency. If this is
    truly the case, you may need to invent your own movie file format (which
    means you'll have to invent a new player for that movie file as well).

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, May 10, 2006

  3. > You would first have to find a movie file format which supports
    > transparency. If QuickTime doesn't support it, then don't use QuickTime. I'm
    > actually not aware of any file formats that support transparency.

    As far as I know, there is only one file format that support animation
    and transparency, it is GIF.

    Benjamin Lerman

    Benjamin Lerman, May 10, 2006
  4. tiewknvc9

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Benjamin Lerman" <> wrote in message
    >> You would first have to find a movie file format which supports
    >> transparency. If QuickTime doesn't support it, then don't use QuickTime.
    >> I'm
    >> actually not aware of any file formats that support transparency.

    > As far as I know, there is only one file format that support animation
    > and transparency, it is GIF.

    There's MNG, which is to PNG what animated GIFs are to single-framed
    GIFs, but all these formats don't support sound, which I had (perhaps
    erroneously) assumed would be present in the movie file.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, May 10, 2006
  5. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    ok.... so heres what I found out...

    I could not create a finalized movie with transparency.

    What I was able to to, was to use qtFile.zip (aka the quicktime for
    java) libraries to create the movie from pngs. Then once I encoded the
    transparent pngs, the transparent parts of the images turned to
    black... damit!

    So the deal with transparencies in a mov file atleast is that it is
    transparent within the movie only. So if I wanted to add a second
    "track" to the movie, I could layer the first track on top of it
    without an issue with transparency.

    unfortunately this did not work for my case, because I wanted a
    finalized movie to give to my customers. But maybe it will help
    someone else in the future.

    tiewknvc9, May 11, 2006