"Transparently" printing a word document

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ewolfman, May 17, 2006.

  1. ewolfman

    ewolfman Guest

    Hi,

    I need to provide the user with the option to click something, and what
    follows is:
    1. Download a word document, without displaying winword.
    2. Printing the document to the default printer (no print dialog should
    pop).
    3. Close word.

    All of this must be completely "transparent" to the user, just like a
    normally installed non-web application. This means that no security
    warnings and messages should appear at all.

    It is assured that the client has WinWord installed.

    We've attempted many solutions, and have managed to perform the above
    steps with the following solution:
    1. An ActiveX Control is downloaded to the client (one time operation
    where the user is asked to "install").
    2. The ActiveX Control uses winword automation to open the file, print
    it and then close it, using a direct url to the server
    (word.Documents.Open "http://blabla/bla.doc").

    The only problem is that the website is secured... and word is
    therefore considered an anonymous user.

    Any ideas (a different solution or a solution to the security issue) ?

    Thanks.
    ewolfman, May 17, 2006

  2. ewolfman

    Hans Kesting Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to provide the user with the option to click something, and what
    > follows is:
    > 1. Download a word document, without displaying winword.
    > 2. Printing the document to the default printer (no print dialog should
    > pop).
    > 3. Close word.
    >
    > All of this must be completely "transparent" to the user, just like a
    > normally installed non-web application. This means that no security
    > warnings and messages should appear at all.
    >
    > It is assured that the client has WinWord installed.
    >
    > We've attempted many solutions, and have managed to perform the above
    > steps with the following solution:
    > 1. An ActiveX Control is downloaded to the client (one time operation
    > where the user is asked to "install").
    > 2. The ActiveX Control uses winword automation to open the file, print
    > it and then close it, using a direct url to the server
    > (word.Documents.Open "http://blabla/bla.doc").
    >
    > The only problem is that the website is secured... and word is
    > therefore considered an anonymous user.
    >
    > Any ideas (a different solution or a solution to the security issue) ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    As you already have an ActiveX control (which you need to bypass the
    security), why not have your control download the file, store it in a
    temporary file and have Word print *that* file?

    Hans Kesting
    Hans Kesting, May 17, 2006

  3. ewolfman

    Mark Rae Guest

    "ewolfman" <> wrote in message

    > Any ideas (a different solution or a solution to the security issue) ?

    Maybe a PDF?
    Mark Rae, May 17, 2006
  4. ewolfman

    MSDN Guest

    Have similar needs,

    Which ActiveX did you use in item 2?
    Thank you if you can share this with us.

    Thanks again,

    SA

    MSDN, May 17, 2006
  5. ewolfman

    ewolfman Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    The ActiveX Control cannot download the file because is still needs
    credentials to perform a login.
    ewolfman, May 18, 2006
  6. ewolfman

    ewolfman Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    We thought of using a PDF (actually, this was our initial assumption).

    However, I don't see how a PDF can solve this issue, unless you can
    assure me that there is someway were I can Response.WriteFile the PDF
    file (as an inline document, so that the browser will not prompt the
    user to "open" or "save" the document), print it, and then close it.
    ewolfman, May 18, 2006
  7. ewolfman

    ewolfman Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    The ActiveX is a VB6 ActiveX Control which is embedded as an <OBJECT>
    in the html page.
    ewolfman, May 18, 2006
  8. ewolfman

    Mark Rae Guest

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-48,GGLG:en&q=PDF print Ghostscript
    Mark Rae, May 18, 2006
  9. ewolfman

    MSDN Guest

    Is this ActiveX Control something that I can get from some place or you
    wrote yourself.

    Thank you for your reply

    SA

    MSDN, May 18, 2006