"Transparently" printing a word document

ewolfman

Hi,

I need to provide the user with the option to click something, and what
follows is:
1. Download a word document, without displaying winword.
2. Printing the document to the default printer (no print dialog should
pop).
3. Close word.

All of this must be completely "transparent" to the user, just like a
normally installed non-web application. This means that no security
warnings and messages should appear at all.

It is assured that the client has WinWord installed.

We've attempted many solutions, and have managed to perform the above
steps with the following solution:
1. An ActiveX Control is downloaded to the client (one time operation
where the user is asked to "install").
2. The ActiveX Control uses winword automation to open the file, print
it and then close it, using a direct url to the server
(word.Documents.Open "http://blabla/bla.doc").

The only problem is that the website is secured... and word is
therefore considered an anonymous user.

Any ideas (a different solution or a solution to the security issue) ?

Thanks.

Hans Kesting

[...]

As you already have an ActiveX control (which you need to bypass the
security), why not have your control download the file, store it in a
temporary file and have Word print *that* file?

Hans Kesting

MSDN

Have similar needs,

Which ActiveX did you use in item 2?
Thank you if you can share this with us.

Thanks again,

SA

ewolfman

Thanks for your reply.

The ActiveX Control cannot download the file because is still needs
credentials to perform a login.

ewolfman

Thanks for your reply.

We thought of using a PDF (actually, this was our initial assumption).

However, I don't see how a PDF can solve this issue, unless you can
assure me that there is someway were I can Response.WriteFile the PDF
file (as an inline document, so that the browser will not prompt the
user to "open" or "save" the document), print it, and then close it.

ewolfman

Thanks for your reply.

The ActiveX is a VB6 ActiveX Control which is embedded as an <OBJECT>
in the html page.

MSDN

Is this ActiveX Control something that I can get from some place or you
wrote yourself.

Thank you for your reply

SA