transport error when

cs_hart

I am trying to send an email using our mailserver but keep getting an
error. Here is the code:
SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "MAILSERV.meas-inc.com"
SmtpMail.Send([email protected]", "(e-mail address removed)", "Sub Text", "Msg
Text")

Exception = Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.
Base Exception = The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The
transport error code was 0x800ccc15. The server response was not
available

If I change the server name to blank I can email ok. If I change it to
anything else, including localhost, it fails. I have tried the
following
Change username to SYSTEM in hte processmodel in machine.config
Adding my machine ip address, 127.0.0.1, and the mail server name to
the Relay restrictions in Default SMTP Virtual Server properties under
IIS.

I can ping the mail server from a command window. I am running win2000
with VB.net v7.1.3088 and framework 1.1 v.1.1.4322

Any helps or ideas appreciated...charlie

Scott Allen

The error code would indicate CDO cannot open a socket. Is there any
software on the machine that would prevent software from opening a
socket to port 25? If there is anti-virus or firewall software
installed on the machine, those would be two places to check.

cs_hart

Well I went into Viruscan and disabled the blocking rule for port 25. I
now have another error, hoping that means I making progress.
Exception = Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.
Base Exception = The server rejected one or more recipient addresses.
The server response was: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for (e-mail address removed)
(where (e-mail address removed) is a valid email address)

Scott Allen

That is progress, but now your mail server is not allowing you to send
messages. Is the From address valid? If the From address is correct
then the mail server being used is not allowing messages to relay to
the outside.

Do you have any control over the mail server configuration?

You might poke around this FAQ for some more tips:
http://www.systemwebmail.com/faq/4.3.11.aspx

cs_hart

Thanks - I'll follow up on these leads. After my last append I did some
digging & it seems like some kind of realying/config isse. I appreciate
the help...charlie

Joined
Jan 14, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thanks Scott! Disabling McAfee VirusScan put an end to my grief. I wasted a whole day trying to wrap my head around this. My email now goes through and I no longer get the error message:

"Could not access 'CDO.Message' object. The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code was 0x800ccc15. The server response was not available"

Is there a way to disable VirusScan altogether? Everytime I disable it, an hour later it is re-enabled. Because I am on my work PC, I am guessing that it is re-enabled by the Security Department through the network.