Trapping odbc error when exec'ing INSERT command

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Doo-Dah Man, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. Doo-Dah Man

    Doo-Dah Man Guest

    I hope this is the right group for this question, if it's not please
    direct me.

    I have a data-driven website that allows users to enter records for
    sales leads. It all works perfectly. The only thing I want to do
    right now is prohibit users from entering the same lead twice. I have
    a PK field in the MS Access database that, obviously, disallows
    duplicate records. However, when such an attempt is made, the browser
    redirects to some generic ODBC error page with some cryptic numbers
    and other information that will stymie the users. "It doesn't work",
    they will say. The text of that error indicates that they tried to
    add a record that violates the PK rule of disallowing duplicate
    records. But they probably won't read it and it's truly ugly anyway.

    How can I redirect to a custom error page or trap the error before the
    ODBC error page is displayed and just display a msgbox or something
    telling the user they attempted to add a record that already exists?

    Thank you

    Doo-Dah Man, Mar 22, 2005

  2. Sql = "..."
    on error resume next
    Conn.execute sql,,129
    If err.number <> 0 then
    Response.write "<script>alert('" & err.description & "');</script>"
    Else
    ... Continue processing
    End if

    Also see http://www.aspfaq.com/2509

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 22, 2005

  3. Doo-Dah Man

    Doo-Dah Man Guest

    Wow! Thanks for the quick response. I will give this a try tomorrow.

    And thanks also for the great link.

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:02:47 -0500, "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]"
    <> stood up, looked around, realized where he

    Doo-Dah Man, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Doo-Dah Man wrote:
    > I hope this is the right group for this question, if it's not please
    > direct me.

    Please do not multipost Doo-Dah.This is definitely a database-related
    question so .asp.db was the perfect group in which to post it. Posting it
    here as well did not increase your chances of getting an answer (most of us
    subscribe to both groups). On the contrary, if somebody had taken his time
    to answer it here, only to find that it was already resolved in the other
    group, that person may have been annoyed enough to ignore any future posts
    from you, thereby decreasing your chances of getting help in the future.

    There are times when you will not be sure which group is most appropriate
    (again, this was not one of them), and you will want to post a question to
    both groups. In that situation, you should use the cross-posting technique,
    rather than posting the same message multiple times. To crosspost, put
    a semicolon-delimited* list of the newsgroups to which you wish to post in
    the To: header of your post and post it once. It, and any replies to it,
    will appear in all the newsgroups in your list. So, if I reply in .asp.db,
    my reply will also appear here in .asp.general.

    * ... or whatever delimiter is recognized by your news client

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Mar 22, 2005
  5. Doo-Dah Man

    Doo-Dah Man Guest

    Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know.

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:47:31 -0500, "Bob Barrows [MVP]"

    Doo-Dah Man, Mar 22, 2005