Travel site feedback?

Peter

Hi all,

I have put together a website with traveltips, photos, and news for the
independent traveller. I would really like some feedback on the site,
what do you like about it, what don't you like. What could be better,
easier, etc? I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look and tell
me what you think. The site is at www.enjoyyourworld.com, you can leave
your response in the group, and / or contact me at peteradds [x]
enjoyyourworld.com

thanks a lot in advance !

Peter

Blinky the Shark

Peter said:
Hi all,

I have put together a website with traveltips, photos, and news for the
independent traveller. I would really like some feedback on the site,
what do you like about it, what don't you like. What could be better,
easier, etc? I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look and tell
me what you think. The site is at www.enjoyyourworld.com, you can leave
your response in the group, and / or contact me at peteradds [x]
enjoyyourworld.com

What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
require apostrophes. That's a glaring grade-school error in the middle of
otherwise nice looking pages.

[1]All over the content in the left column, and God knows where else all
over the place.

dorayme

Blinky the Shark said:
Plurals don't
require apostrophes.

Going all modest and minimal, diplomatic, are we, Blinky? "Don't
require"? They require not to have them mostly.

Peter

dorayme said:
Going all modest and minimal, diplomatic, are we, Blinky? "Don't
require"? They require not to have them mostly.

sorry I'm from Holland, in my gradeschool it is spelled with an
apostrophe. HTML is fixed, the graphics will get an update soon.

Thanks for the tip!

Peter

Blinky the Shark

Peter said:
sorry I'm from Holland, in my gradeschool it is spelled with an
apostrophe. HTML is fixed, the graphics will get an update soon.

Then it is spelled wrongly, there, for English.

Hywel Jenkins

Blinky said:
Peter said:
Hi all,

I have put together a website with traveltips, photos, and news for the
independent traveller. I would really like some feedback on the site,
what do you like about it, what don't you like. What could be better,
easier, etc? I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look and tell
me what you think. The site is at www.enjoyyourworld.com, you can leave
your response in the group, and / or contact me at peteradds [x]
enjoyyourworld.com

What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
require apostrophes.

You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
letters have been omitted.

PeterMcC

Hywel Jenkins wrote in
Blinky said:
Peter said:
Hi all,

I have put together a website with traveltips, photos, and news for
the independent traveller. I would really like some feedback on the
site, what do you like about it, what don't you like. What could be
better, easier, etc? I'd really appreciate it if you could take a
look and tell me what you think. The site is at
www.enjoyyourworld.com, you can leave your response in the group,
and / or contact me at peteradds [x] enjoyyourworld.com

What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals
don't require apostrophes.

You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
letters have been omitted.

If that were to be the case, and I appreciate that this isn't perhaps the
most important issue that's cropped up in recent weeks, one would expect the
singular to be written as photo'.

Like in the good old days when telephone used to be abbreviated to 'phone
and one had a sense of an underlying respect for standards, decency and the
proper way of doing things.

BTW - the OED's happy with spelt and spelled. It's "misspelled" and
"misspelt" that seem to cause confusion - people often want to remove an S.

Blinky the Shark

Hywel said:
Blinky said:
Peter said:
Hi all,

I have put together a website with traveltips, photos, and news for the
independent traveller. I would really like some feedback on the site,
what do you like about it, what don't you like. What could be better,
easier, etc? I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look and tell
me what you think. The site is at www.enjoyyourworld.com, you can leave
your response in the group, and / or contact me at peteradds [x]
enjoyyourworld.com

What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
require apostrophes.

You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
letters have been omitted.

If one wanted to appear dense, sure.

dorayme

Blinky the Shark said:
Hywel said:
Blinky the Shark wrote:
What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
require apostrophes.

You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
letters have been omitted.

If one wanted to appear dense, sure.

I dunno, HJ's was a clever enough point.... It never occurred to
me. In fact, come to think of it, with this particular word, it
might not be a bad choice. Must remember to stick in an apostophe
next time I use it to surprise the stickler brigade with a
subtlety.

Blinky the Shark

dorayme said:
Blinky the Shark said:
Hywel said:
Blinky the Shark wrote:
What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
require apostrophes.

You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
letters have been omitted.

If one wanted to appear dense, sure.

I dunno, HJ's was a clever enough point.... It never occurred to

Except for one thing. "Photo" has become a word in its own right.

And you seem to have missed the *actual* clever suggestion that if an
apostrophe of contraction *was* required, then it would equally be
required for the *singular*: photo' (Because "graph" is just as much
clipped from the singular as it is the plural.)
me. In fact, come to think of it, with this particular word, it
might not be a bad choice. Must remember to stick in an apostophe
next time I use it to surprise the stickler brigade with a

You misspelled "those who know how to spell".

dorayme

Blinky the Shark said:
dorayme said:
Blinky the Shark said:
Hywel Jenkins wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
require apostrophes.

You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
letters have been omitted.

If one wanted to appear dense, sure.

I dunno, HJ's was a clever enough point.... It never occurred to

Except for one thing. "Photo" has become a word in its own right.

Yes, it is true enough - but not necessarily in every idiolect.
But not so true that it leaves no room for an intentional and
stuffily formal use of "'" in "photo's as a tease to the likes of
all Lords Fussiness.
And you seem to have missed the *actual* clever suggestion that if an
apostrophe of contraction *was* required, then it would equally be
required for the *singular*: photo' (Because "graph" is just as much
clipped from the singular as it is the plural.)

What makes you think I missed it? I did not. I liked it and
appreciated it. Perhaps I read it after replying to you? The
answer, of course, is that for an idiolect in which the formal
expansion of "photo" is "photograph", the singular "photo'" is
probably correct. What you miss, old son, is that this is not
necessarily so ridiculous.
You misspelled "those who know how to spell".

I misspelt what? I know I misspelt "apostrophe" a while back...
MT-Newswatcher only underlines what it thinks are mistakes, it
cannot correct them. So I am off the hook, right?