Travel site feedback?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Peter, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hi all,

    I have put together a website with traveltips, photos, and news for the
    independent traveller. I would really like some feedback on the site,
    what do you like about it, what don't you like. What could be better,
    easier, etc? I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look and tell
    me what you think. The site is at www.enjoyyourworld.com, you can leave
    your response in the group, and / or contact me at peteradds [x]
    enjoyyourworld.com

    thanks a lot in advance !

    Peter
     
    Peter, Apr 29, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Peter wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have put together a website with traveltips, photos, and news for the
    > independent traveller. I would really like some feedback on the site,
    > what do you like about it, what don't you like. What could be better,
    > easier, etc? I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look and tell
    > me what you think. The site is at www.enjoyyourworld.com, you can leave
    > your response in the group, and / or contact me at peteradds [x]
    > enjoyyourworld.com


    What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
    require apostrophes. That's a glaring grade-school error in the middle of
    otherwise nice looking pages.

    [1]All over the content in the left column, and God knows where else all
    over the place.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Coming Soon: Filtering rules specific to various real news clients
     
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 29, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 29, 2006
    #3
  4. Peter

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Plurals don't
    > require apostrophes.


    Going all modest and minimal, diplomatic, are we, Blinky? "Don't
    require"? They require not to have them mostly.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 29, 2006
    #4
  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> Plurals don't
    >> require apostrophes.

    >
    > Going all modest and minimal, diplomatic, are we, Blinky? "Don't
    > require"? They require not to have them mostly.
    >


    sorry I'm from Holland, in my gradeschool it is spelled with an
    apostrophe. HTML is fixed, the graphics will get an update soon.

    Thanks for the tip!

    Peter
     
    Peter, Apr 29, 2006
    #5
  6. Peter wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Plurals don't
    >>> require apostrophes.

    >>
    >> Going all modest and minimal, diplomatic, are we, Blinky? "Don't
    >> require"? They require not to have them mostly.
    >>

    >
    > sorry I'm from Holland, in my gradeschool it is spelled with an
    > apostrophe. HTML is fixed, the graphics will get an update soon.


    Then it is spelled wrongly, there, for English.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Coming Soon: Filtering rules specific to various real news clients
     
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 29, 2006
    #6
  7. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have put together a website with traveltips, photos, and news for the
    >> independent traveller. I would really like some feedback on the site,
    >> what do you like about it, what don't you like. What could be better,
    >> easier, etc? I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look and tell
    >> me what you think. The site is at www.enjoyyourworld.com, you can leave
    >> your response in the group, and / or contact me at peteradds [x]
    >> enjoyyourworld.com

    >
    > What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
    > require apostrophes.


    You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
    letters have been omitted.

    --
    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/
     
    Hywel Jenkins, Apr 30, 2006
    #7
  8. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>> In article
    >>> <>,
    >>> Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Plurals don't
    >>>> require apostrophes.
    >>> Going all modest and minimal, diplomatic, are we, Blinky? "Don't
    >>> require"? They require not to have them mostly.
    >>>

    >> sorry I'm from Holland, in my gradeschool it is spelled with an
    >> apostrophe. HTML is fixed, the graphics will get an update soon.

    >
    > Then it is spelled wrongly, there, for English.


    Then it is spelt wrongly, there, for English.

    --
    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/
     
    Hywel Jenkins, Apr 30, 2006
    #8
  9. Peter

    PeterMcC Guest

    OT apostrophe [was Re: Travel site feedback?]

    Hywel Jenkins wrote in
    <>

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I have put together a website with traveltips, photos, and news for
    >>> the independent traveller. I would really like some feedback on the
    >>> site, what do you like about it, what don't you like. What could be
    >>> better, easier, etc? I'd really appreciate it if you could take a
    >>> look and tell me what you think. The site is at
    >>> www.enjoyyourworld.com, you can leave your response in the group,
    >>> and / or contact me at peteradds [x] enjoyyourworld.com

    >>
    >> What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals
    >> don't require apostrophes.

    >
    > You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
    > letters have been omitted.


    If that were to be the case, and I appreciate that this isn't perhaps the
    most important issue that's cropped up in recent weeks, one would expect the
    singular to be written as photo'.

    Like in the good old days when telephone used to be abbreviated to 'phone
    and one had a sense of an underlying respect for standards, decency and the
    proper way of doing things.

    BTW - the OED's happy with spelt and spelled. It's "misspelled" and
    "misspelt" that seem to cause confusion - people often want to remove an S.

    --
    PeterMcC
    If you feel that any of the above is incorrect,
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    please ignore it and accept my apologies.
     
    PeterMcC, Apr 30, 2006
    #9
  10. Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I have put together a website with traveltips, photos, and news for the
    >>> independent traveller. I would really like some feedback on the site,
    >>> what do you like about it, what don't you like. What could be better,
    >>> easier, etc? I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look and tell
    >>> me what you think. The site is at www.enjoyyourworld.com, you can leave
    >>> your response in the group, and / or contact me at peteradds [x]
    >>> enjoyyourworld.com

    >>
    >> What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
    >> require apostrophes.

    >
    > You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
    > letters have been omitted.


    If one wanted to appear dense, sure.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Coming Soon: Filtering rules specific to various real news clients
     
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 30, 2006
    #10
  11. Peter

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >
    > > Blinky the Shark wrote:


    > >> What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
    > >> require apostrophes.

    > >
    > > You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
    > > letters have been omitted.

    >
    > If one wanted to appear dense, sure.
    >


    I dunno, HJ's was a clever enough point.... It never occurred to
    me. In fact, come to think of it, with this particular word, it
    might not be a bad choice. Must remember to stick in an apostophe
    next time I use it to surprise the stickler brigade with a
    subtlety.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, May 1, 2006
    #11
  12. dorayme wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >>
    >> > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >
    >> >> What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
    >> >> require apostrophes.
    >> >
    >> > You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
    >> > letters have been omitted.

    >>
    >> If one wanted to appear dense, sure.
    >>

    >
    > I dunno, HJ's was a clever enough point.... It never occurred to


    Except for one thing. "Photo" has become a word in its own right.

    And you seem to have missed the *actual* clever suggestion that if an
    apostrophe of contraction *was* required, then it would equally be
    required for the *singular*: photo' (Because "graph" is just as much
    clipped from the singular as it is the plural.)

    > me. In fact, come to think of it, with this particular word, it
    > might not be a bad choice. Must remember to stick in an apostophe
    > next time I use it to surprise the stickler brigade with a


    You misspelled "those who know how to spell".

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Coming Soon: Filtering rules specific to various real news clients
     
    Blinky the Shark, May 1, 2006
    #12
  13. Peter

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > >>
    > >> > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > >
    > >> >> What shouts out at me: all the instances of "photo's".[1] Plurals don't
    > >> >> require apostrophes.
    > >> >
    > >> > You could argue that in this instance the apostrophe is correct as
    > >> > letters have been omitted.
    > >>
    > >> If one wanted to appear dense, sure.
    > >>

    > >
    > > I dunno, HJ's was a clever enough point.... It never occurred to

    >
    > Except for one thing. "Photo" has become a word in its own right.
    >


    Yes, it is true enough - but not necessarily in every idiolect.
    But not so true that it leaves no room for an intentional and
    stuffily formal use of "'" in "photo's as a tease to the likes of
    all Lords Fussiness.

    > And you seem to have missed the *actual* clever suggestion that if an
    > apostrophe of contraction *was* required, then it would equally be
    > required for the *singular*: photo' (Because "graph" is just as much
    > clipped from the singular as it is the plural.)


    What makes you think I missed it? I did not. I liked it and
    appreciated it. Perhaps I read it after replying to you? The
    answer, of course, is that for an idiolect in which the formal
    expansion of "photo" is "photograph", the singular "photo'" is
    probably correct. What you miss, old son, is that this is not
    necessarily so ridiculous.

    >
    > > me. In fact, come to think of it, with this particular word, it
    > > might not be a bad choice. Must remember to stick in an apostophe
    > > next time I use it to surprise the stickler brigade with a

    >
    > You misspelled "those who know how to spell".


    I misspelt what? I know I misspelt "apostrophe" a while back...
    MT-Newswatcher only underlines what it thinks are mistakes, it
    cannot correct them. So I am off the hook, right?

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, May 1, 2006
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. VB Programmer

    Travel site - travel data availability?

    VB Programmer, Nov 4, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    562
    VB Programmer
    Nov 4, 2004
  2. Eþref DURNA

    travel agency project

    Eþref DURNA, May 23, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    7,926
    Eþref DURNA
    May 23, 2005
  3. Bharat Bhushan

    Link List Travel

    Bharat Bhushan, Aug 7, 2003, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    520
    Gordon Beaton
    Aug 8, 2003
  4. Muz

    travel/reservation code

    Muz, Jun 19, 2004, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    596
  5. Peter

    Travel site critique

    Peter, Oct 11, 2006, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    360
    Aaron Jensen
    Oct 27, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page