    have to "roll my own" - but I don't want to import the SWING stuff, I'm
    writing a session bean and I don't need the GUI stuff - any ideas?

    Thanks
    exquisitus, May 4, 2005

  2. exquisitus

    Eric Sosman Guest

    exquisitus wrote:
    > I want to use a tree ADT (preferably a red black tree) would rather not
    > have to "roll my own" - but I don't want to import the SWING stuff, I'm
    > writing a session bean and I don't need the GUI stuff - any ideas?

    Is there some reason you don't like java.util.TreeMap
    and java.util.TreeSet?

    Eric Sosman, May 4, 2005

  3. exquisitus

    exquisitus Guest

    No particular reason (other than the fact that I didn't know they
    existed :) ). I am one of those programmers who like to jump in at the
    deep end and get my hands dirty - the downside is that I sometimes miss
    the obvious - thanks for pointing it out.

    exquisitus, May 4, 2005
  4. exquisitus

    Eric Sosman Guest

    exquisitus wrote:
    [top-posting fixed]

    > Eric Sosman wrote:
    >
    >>exquisitus wrote:
    >>
    >>>I want to use a tree ADT (preferably a red black tree) would rather not
    >>>have to "roll my own" - but I don't want to import the SWING stuff, I'm
    >>>writing a session bean and I don't need the GUI stuff - any ideas?

    >> Is there some reason you don't like java.util.TreeMap
    >>and java.util.TreeSet?

    > No particular reason (other than the fact that I didn't know they
    > existed :) ). I am one of those programmers who like to jump in at the
    > deep end and get my hands dirty - the downside is that I sometimes miss
    > the obvious - thanks for pointing it out.

    One of the first deep places into which you should
    jump is the documentation ...

    An electrical engineer I once worked alongside would
    look at the way we programmers worked, shake his head,
    and say "Random punches in random card columns [this was
    a while ago ...], then debug." If you don't feel like
    demonstrating the truth of his aspersion, RTFM!

    Eric Sosman, May 4, 2005