Treeview displaying as straight line of text

Sandy

Hello!

I downloaded and installed the WebControls and when I view
either an aspx that I have created or even view the
Treeview.aspx it simply displays as one straight line of
text.

Any suggestions?

Sandy

Jose Gonzalez

did you build the dll and copy it to the bin directory
of the application you're using them in?
Also, make sure the inetpub\wwwroot\webctrl_client\1_0
\treeimages folder exists.

-Jose

Sandy

Yes, I did that. I do have two versions of Framework on
my computer . . . v1.0.3705 and v1.1.4322. My
applications are under the v1.1.1.4322 when I view the
Temporary ASP file, thus, I assumed I should put the web
controls in there. Is that, perhaps, an incorrect version
for these controls?

Thanks for your reply!

Sandy

Jose Gonzalez

well, I haven't tried using the controls on the 1.1
version of the framework. I'm running the 1.0.3705 version.
but, I've gotten the single line of text before when the
webctrl_client directory was not in the wwwroot folder.
what do you have within your webctrl_client directory?
mine has a 1_0 directory that contains the following:
images\
treeimages\
MultiPage.htc
TabStrip.htc
toolbar.htc
treeview.htc
webservice.htc
webserviced.htc

Jose Gonzalez

Hi, I just noticed my aspx file that contains the
tree control, this attribute is set in the control:
does yours have this tree control attribute set?
SystemImagesPath="/webctrl_client/1_0/treeimages/"

so, the entire line with the tree control looks like:
<iewc:treeview id="tree"
SystemImagesPath="/webctrl_client/1_0/treeimages/"
AutoPostBack="True" runat="server" />

-Jose

Sandy

Hi, Jose!

I can certainly see the logic behind adding
SystemImagesPath. The book I am studying doesn't have
that code.

I have changed my code to read:

<%@ Import Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="IE"
Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" %>
<form Runat="Server">
<IE:TreeView id="tree"
SystemImagesPath="/webctrl_client/1_0/treeimages/"
Runat="Server">
<TreeNode
Text="ASP.NET Books">
<TreeNode
Text="ASP.NET Unleashed" />
<TreeNode
Text="ASP.NET Tips, Tutorials, and Code" />
</TreeNode>
</IE:TreeView>
</form>

I am still getting just a straight line. Mine has the
same files you have listed under the root directory. Any
other ideas? Does your code differ in any other way?

Is there something that's supposed to go under TreeNode?

Thanks again for your response.

Sandy

Jose

Hi Sandy,
well, I got it to display just the line of text.
But I've got it working again.
I ran the build.bat file in C:\Program Files\IE Web
Controls\
then I ran the xcopy command:

xcopy /s /i .\build\Runtime
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\webctrl_client\1_0 /y

that copied 42 files to the webctrl_client\1_0 directory.
and I copied the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll
to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\simpletreeview\bin directory.

I added the reference in my project references to that dll
in my bin directory.

and it's working fine.
have you tried starting over to see if one of these steps
was missed or didn't work right?

-Jose
PS, I tried removing the SystemImagesPath and it works for
me either way.