TreeView: How to make a node top align?

Max2006

Hi,

I have a TreeView and this is my node style:

<asp:TreeNodeStyle ForeColor = "#000000" Font-Size="9px" Font-Bold="false"
Width="100px" NodeSpacing="3px" />

The problem is the expand button (+) resides right at the middle of
multi-line text. Can I make the expand button top align instead of middle
align?

Any help would be appreciated,
Max

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Max,

From your description, you're wantting to set the TreeView Node's
expand/collapse button(+/-) to aligh to top when the TreeNode contains text
expanded to multiple lines, correct?

I've performed some research on this. It seems the TreeView or TreeNode's
built-in style settings doesn't expose the properties for us to adjust the
vertical alignment of elements in TreeNode. Also, there hasn't any
server-side event for us to hook the node generation.

So far I have found a solution use some javascript code to adjust the
vertical alignment of the table cell (<td> element) that contains the
treeNode content(such as the +/- button and content). You can run it at
the page's load time. Here is a sample page I've built for your reference:

<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function adjust_treenodes()
{
var divs = document.getElementsByTagName("div");

var i,j;

for(i=0;i<divs.length;++i)
{
//first search for all the <div> for treeview nodes

if(divs.id.indexOf("TreeView") != -1)
{

//then set the vertical alignment for each <td> nested inside the
treenode div

var tds = divs.getElementsByTagName("td");
for(j=0;j<tds.length;++j) tds[j].style.verticalAlign="top";

</script>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">

<asp:TreeView ID="TreeView1" runat="server"
style="vertical-align:bottom" >
<NodeStyle Width="100px" />

<Nodes >
<asp:TreeNode Text="New Node1--long test multi-line test
..........................................." Value="New Node1">
<asp:TreeNode Text="New Node11--long test multi-line
test ..........................................." Value="New
Node11"></asp:TreeNode>
</asp:TreeNode>
<asp:TreeNode Text="New Node2--long test multi-line test
..........................................." Value="New Node2">
<asp:TreeNode Text="New Node21--long test multi-line
test ..........................................." Value="New
Node21"></asp:TreeNode>
</asp:TreeNode>
<asp:TreeNode Text="New Node3" Value="New Node3">
<asp:TreeNode Text="New Node31" Value="New
Node31"></asp:TreeNode>
</asp:TreeNode>

</Nodes>
<LevelStyles >

</LevelStyles>
</asp:TreeView>

</form>
=======================================

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

Max2006

Hi Steven,

Thanks for help.

I was hoping to have some light CSS settings to do this. Is it possible?

Thanks again,
Max

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Max,

From your description, you're wantting to set the TreeView Node's

rights.

--------------------
From: "Max2006" <[email protected]>
Subject: TreeView: How to make a node top align?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:48:16 -0400
Hi,

I have a TreeView and this is my node style:

<asp:TreeNodeStyle ForeColor = "#000000" Font-Size="9px" Font-Bold="false"
Width="100px" NodeSpacing="3px" />

The problem is the expand button (+) resides right at the middle of
multi-line text. Can I make the expand button top align instead of middle
align?

Any help would be appreciated,
Max

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Max,

Yes, I've also tried the CSS approach. However, it seems the cssClass we
applied on <NodeStyle> will only be specified on the <td> which contains
the Text content of the TreeNode, but not the <td> which contains the +/-
expand/collapse image. that's why the css style approach not quite work
here. BTW, have you tried using the Css control adapter for TreeView:

#ASP.NET 2.0 CSS Friendly Control Adapters: The Walkthrough
http://www.asp.net/cssadapters/WalkThru/Walkthrough.aspx

this adapter toolkit can make those adpatable controls more CSS friendly
which may open more doors on customization.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

--------------------

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Max,

How are you doing? Have you got any further ideas on this issue or have you
tried the CSS adapter to see whether it helps?

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 02:45:10 GMT
Subject: Re: TreeView: How to make a node top align?

Max2006

Hi Steven,

Thank you for follow up. At this point I am going to leave the alignment as
is to avoid complexity.
I home we have more flexibility in future versions of TreeView.

Thank you,
Max