treeview node limit

BGib

Hello,
It seems Microsoft says the max # of nodes for asp.net 1.1. in their
unsupported treeview control is 1000 nodes.

I have tested up to 5000 nodes being displayed, but it takes close to 70
secs for the control to populate.

As anyone been able to decrease the time for display to the control with a
large # of nodes???

Thanks in advance,
BGib

Nick Goloborodko

Hi,

My only suggestion is: either use the control to display smaller number of
nodes (realistically speaking - how often would a user need an instant
access to anyone of these nodes and at the same time require the other
4999?)

This is a limitation of the design of the control it self. JavaScript is an
interprited language and hence *EXTREMELY* slow to do large operations like
that. I have not looked at ASP.NET 2 (yet) but i have heard stories that
TreeView control is oficially shipped by MS in .NET 2, but i doub't this
will solve the problem.

The only way that i see you being able to "display" 5000 nodes and still
maintain some sort of rendering performace, is to render nodes on-request.
This approach will require you to reimplement the control (or possibly find
a 3rd party version that does it). Basically there's a new technique called
Ajax which enables part of the page to reload without entire page being
posted back, google being the pioneer of this technique with their gmail
and google maps services. But now i'm getting off the topic.

HTH
Nick Goloborodko

BGib

Hello,
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. Your
correct about the user not needing instant access to node 1 and node 4999
together. With that said, I still need a way to display node 4999. I'll
be looking into the partial page reload idea.

Take Care,
Bill